Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Spinoff ..."Do you lick your spoon when cooking"
1  2  Next

Do you use a new spoon when tasting the food?
Yes  
 45%  [ 45 ]
No  
 30%  [ 30 ]
Only when we have guest  
 21%  [ 21 ]
Other  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 98

soulful music

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 1:01 pm
I'm quoting from another thread:

many people don't eat from other people's cooking. Catered food has a hashgacha on everything and has health standards. I.e. the chef does not lick from the spoon to taste the food.

I've always wondered about that. I'm extremely careful to use a new spoon when tasting.
What do you do? Smile

5S5Sr7z3

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 1:08 pm
If I wouldn't taste the food while cooking it, how will I know if it tastes good??

Faigy86

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 1:19 pm
soulful music wrote:

I've always wondered about that. I'm extremely careful to use a new spoon when tasting.
What do you do? Smile

I use a new spoon if other people besides my immediate family will be eating the food (or if someone is in the kitchen with me Smile)

EmesOrNT

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 1:30 pm
Unless I'm not feeling well, I do not use another spoon. There is absolutely no reason to.

zigi

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 1:47 pm
new spoon

yksraya

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 2:13 pm
I always take a new spoon for tasting. I would feel grossed out to eat if someone mixed the pot with a licked spoon.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 2:16 pm
I usually use a new spoon even though only my family is usually eating it. I'm just used to doing it that way.

Barbara

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 2:43 pm
None of the above.

Usually, I will use the spoon that's in the pot, then either wash it, or take a new one to stir.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 3:17 pm
What Barbara just said.

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 3:20 pm
I use a cooking utensil to remove the food to a plate. I them use "my" spoon to taste the food. This way my germs never get in contact with my cooking. I am very careful not to touch the cooking utensil to where I was eating from.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 4:06 pm
IYamWhoIYam wrote:
If I wouldn't taste the food while cooking it, how will I know if it tastes good??

She asked in her poll if you would use a new spoon, not if you would taste at all.

I rarely taste what I'm making, but if I do, I would use the same spoon and only wash it before putting it back if we're having company.

happy12

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 5:14 pm
I always use a clean spoon and remove it to a plate.

I am the poster of that original quote. I had a relative who use to lick the spoon then stir the pot- it totally grossed me out.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 02 2012, 5:22 pm
my mother in law licks serving spoons. that are in use. omg I can't tell you how gross that is. or she will serve stuff and use her finger on top which she licked from the last one. anonymous because if you know me its lashon hara.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Nov 03 2012, 1:01 pm
I think that ANYONE who believes that caterers are more "aesthetic" than the home cook are living in dream land. Even on TV you can see the chefs licking and tasting. Then the heat boils away the germs or whatever. Talk to someone in catering one of these days....

freidasima

Post Sat, Nov 03 2012, 3:33 pm
use cooking spoon to put on plate. Taste with my owh spoon from plate. NEVER from main pot. Ever ever ever.

theprocastinator

Post Sat, Nov 03 2012, 9:11 pm
do you think catered food is germ-free and prepared in spotless kitchens?
from reader's digest:
"When I was at one bakery restaurant, they used to make this really yummy peach cobbler in a big tray. A lot of times, servers don’t have time to eat. So we all kept a fork in our aprons, and as we cruised through the kitchen, we’d stick our fork in the cobbler and take a bite. We’d use the same fork each time. —Kathy Kniss

If you make a big fuss about sending your soup back because it’s not hot enough, we like to take your spoon and run it under really hot water, so when you put the hot spoon in your mouth, you’re going to get the impression—often the very painful impression—that your soup is indeed hot. —Chris

I’ve seen some horrible things done to people’s food: steaks dropped on the floor, butter dipped in the dishwater. —Waiter at a casual restaurant in the Chicago area"

amother

Post Sat, Nov 03 2012, 9:23 pm
I was once at a sheva brochos and passed by the kitchen just in time to witness a waitress sticking her spoon in the pot, licking it and then putting it back in the pot.
Anonymous because I repeated the story many times.

Reality

Post Sat, Nov 03 2012, 9:36 pm
theprocastinator wrote:
do you think catered food is germ-free and prepared in spotless kitchens?
from reader's digest:
"When I was at one bakery restaurant, they used to make this really yummy peach cobbler in a big tray. A lot of times, servers don’t have time to eat. So we all kept a fork in our aprons, and as we cruised through the kitchen, we’d stick our fork in the cobbler and take a bite. We’d use the same fork each time. —Kathy Kniss

If you make a big fuss about sending your soup back because it’s not hot enough, we like to take your spoon and run it under really hot water, so when you put the hot spoon in your mouth, you’re going to get the impression—often the very painful impression—that your soup is indeed hot. —Chris

I’ve seen some horrible things done to people’s food: steaks dropped on the floor, butter dipped in the dishwater. —Waiter at a casual restaurant in the Chicago area"

I once invited my friend over to my house to bake challah together for a simcha. I had never made a big seudah challah before and she was helping me. Anyway, we were washing our hands every five seconds(e.g. if I scratched my arm, if she touched her hair etc..) because we were baking for other people and we wanted to be super clean. At one point we looked at each other and burst out laughing and I said do you think they are so careful at the bakery?

Reality

Post Sat, Nov 03 2012, 9:38 pm
Oh, and for the record, to taste my food I usually use the spoon that was in the pot and wash it off. I dont have a dishwasher. I try not to let to many dishes pile up.

Grandmama

Post Sat, Nov 03 2012, 9:43 pm
Hardly ever taste food while cooking. If I do, I would never put back the spoon into the pot!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking