Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Spinoff ..."Do you lick your spoon when cooking"
Previous  1  2

Do you use a new spoon when tasting the food?
Yes  
 45%  [ 45 ]
No  
 30%  [ 30 ]
Only when we have guest  
 21%  [ 21 ]
Other  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 98

Culturedpearls

Post Sat, Nov 03 2012, 9:58 pm
I cook & bake according to strict recipes 90% of the time. I do not taste the food. I wouldn't fit through the door if I did. If I occasionally use one of these "season to taste" recipes I will taste with a clean spoon. But that's pretty rare.

centurion

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 12:26 am
if I take a taste from the stirring spoon, I wash it off afterwards. when I forget to do that, I shrug my shoulders, hope the cooking process will pasteurize my germs, and move on. I wouldn't get grossed out if I knew the cook did that.

imaamy

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 1:01 am
No I save on spoon washing and just use my finger LOL

amother

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 4:04 am
amother wrote:
my mother in law licks serving spoons. that are in use. omg I can't tell you how gross that is. or she will serve stuff and use her finger on top which she licked from the last one. anonymous because if you know me its lashon hara.

I could've written this post! When I once asked sil how she can eat out of the main pot - she said no one is as fussy as you! Who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or once in sil house as she was wiping dishes, she decided it was handy enough to be used as a tissue too DH saw & asked her what she was thinking Puke

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 1:24 pm
I am confident enough to say that I know how to cook & have no need to taste the food

amother

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 2:10 pm
Firstly, it's absolutely gross. When my dh loads the dishwasher after a normal weekday supper, he always jokingly asks me why there are so many spoons/ forks in the sink.... I think it's a matter of basic etiquette, doesn't matter if anyone sees. I remember being grossed out as a kid when I saw my mother doing that.
Secondly, why would you want to introduce the bacteria from your mouth into the food?

gryp

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 2:18 pm
I don't ever taste the food. Usually I'm serving while the food is already being eaten and I'm told the food is delicious. I always say the same thing: "Good to know because I haven't tasted it yet!"

amother

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
my mother in law licks serving spoons. that are in use. omg I can't tell you how gross that is. or she will serve stuff and use her finger on top which she licked from the last one. anonymous because if you know me its lashon hara.

I could've written this post! When I once asked sil how she can eat out of the main pot - she said no one is as fussy as you! Who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or once in sil house as she was wiping dishes, she decided it was handy enough to be used as a tissue too DH saw & asked her what she was thinking Puke
My MIL licks serving spoons too! At the Shobbos table. Are you my SIL?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 8:48 pm
amother wrote:

My mother does that and it grosses me out too. I won't eat the food when I see her do that.

goodheart

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 9:07 pm
I never taste the food I cook!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 9:09 pm
I have a friend that eats from the pots and everything she even drinks from the bottles of soda in the house I wouldn't eat anything from that house!its so gross

shnitzel

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 9:58 pm
I will lick the spoon and then wash it well with soap and hot water and then put it back in the pot.

If you lick it and put it back in you are adding all sorts of lovely bacteria from your mouth and you may make the food spoil more quickly, other than the fact that you are passing all your germs to everyone who eats the food.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking