Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Is this a Kosher Menorah? (pic included)

ShiningThrough

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 3:05 am
My sisters & I would love to get this menorah for our parents' 50th wedding anniversary when we get together on Chanuka. I can't tell if the candle holders are in a straight row or if they're curved. If curved, is it okay to give it to them as a decorative work of art? They're not 'makpid' on halachic standards of menorah-lighting (but I am-) Is it like putting a stumbling block in front of them if they choose to light it? TIA

Last edited by ShiningThrough on Tue, Nov 06 2012, 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Didi

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 4:03 am
It looks to me as if it is curved and the two end ones are lower. It is adorable otherwise.

ShiningThrough

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 4:47 am
So we'd specify that it's purely decorative? And if they do choose to light with it, the mitzvah wouldn't be fulfilled?

imaima

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 4:53 am
ShiningThrough wrote:
So we'd specify that it's purely decorative? And if they do choose to light with it, the mitzvah wouldn't be fulfilled?

Are they frum? If they are than they know not to light it. and I would then give it for decorative reasons. If they are not so frum, they might make a mistakee and I wouldn't give it then.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 5:28 am
Didi wrote:
It looks to me as if it is curved and the two end ones are lower. It is adorable otherwise.

It looks like it is curved, but the two end ones are not lower, it just looks like it because it is curved, an optical illusion.

Karnash

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 6:19 am
As one who makes and sells judaica, and after having looked into the issue, I can tell you that not all poskim say that the lights have to be in a straight line. The Shulchan Orech specifically says they can be in a curved line. So - יש על מה לסמוך.

I can't figure out how to upload a photo of one of my chanukiot, but I'll try.

hop613

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 6:29 am
Like the poster above, I don't think the halacha is so clear cut. We got a curved menorah as a wedding present, and I had no clue what to do with it so I asked our Rav. He said we could use it.

ShiningThrough

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 6:46 am
I'm liking these answers! Karnash, can you send me a link of your work/website? We're still open to other artistic menorahs. Anyone else know of other artists/Judaica sites for hand-crafted special Chanuka menorahs?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics