Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
S
1  2  Next

ny21

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 1:08 pm
:arrow: :arrow:

Last edited by ny21 on Tue, Aug 21 2012, 12:24 am; edited 6 times in total

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 1:24 pm
I had a boss who gave a co-worker working severence. I thought that was a pretty dumb thing to do.

binah918

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 1:36 pm
Oy, don't get me started. I'm about to quit because of the requests my boss has made of me. First of all, I think it is completely innapropraite and unacceptable for a boss to ask an employee to preform his personal tasks/errands. I'll give you the most recent story, and the most chutzpadik...

An ex-employee came to the office yesterday. He and the boss parted on very, very bad terms...screaming, swearing, etc. But I think they're considering working together again as the ex-employee has been over to the office a few times for coffee recently. Anyway, on his way out I heard him ask the boss if he could send me some editing work to do. The boss said "Absoluetly." Then, as the ex-employee was walking out the door he stopped by my desk. He told me he was sending me his will so I could edit it and make editorial changes. I asked, "Your what?!" He said, "Me will, like for when I die." I was speechless. Then I asked, with this look of disgust on my face, "How long will this take me. I have more than enough to keep me busy already." He said, "Don't worry. Just work on it on your breaks." And with that he walked out.

First of all, I refuse to do personal things/errands for my boss. Second, I certainly refuse to do things for an ex-employee. And third, I absolutely refuse to type and edit the ex-employee's WILL!

This is just one of too many stories like this. I expect I will be unemployed by this time next week, as I will not let my boss take such advantage of me and offer MY time and MY services to whomever he pleases!

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 1:45 pm
The gall of some people. Rolling Eyes

amother

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 1:54 pm
My theory is that the one that pays your salary has a right to ask you to do anything. Unless it's something degrading, inappropriate or such.
If you don't like what you're being told - go ahead and quit!

binah918

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 2:42 pm
Amother...I started with that philosophy. In the beginning, I not only took care of the boss' person requests, I genuinly didn't mind doing them. I felt like I was doing him a favor, which I do for other friends, family, etc. But it's gotten to such a point, where he is 1000% taking advantage of me and offering his friends and family my time and energy without asking my permission. He insists that I stop my real work to run his errands and do his favors, and then he screams at me that I didn't finish my real work on time. Meanwhile, the errands I'm talking about don't take 2 minutes. They take a good two hours out of every day! So, like I said, I'm quitting. I just need to gather the courage to tell him. I think it's going to be pretty nasty. But others have survived his rath. In six month's of the company's existence, every single employee who has been hired either quit or was fired. I'm the only one that's stuck around this long. The one's who quit, the boss decided to sue because he was sure they were tapping the phones and stealing company secrets. By the way, I'm absolutely serious! I don't know how I've lasted this long...! What a crazy situation! LOL!

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 2:48 pm
amother wrote:
My theory is that the one that pays your salary has a right to ask you to do anything. Unless it's something degrading, inappropriate or such.

That's a very old fashioned philosophy.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 2:55 pm
You ARE an employee at will - don't forget why unions were founded.

Basya

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 3:16 pm
I think you should quit. Try to do it without making a big deal-you can say it's just not working out anymore-try not to give too many specifics.
And then, wait a week and send a letter with these thoughts to him, with the real reason that you quit. If he cares he will learn from his mistakes for the next employee and if he is not smart he will just toss the letter away. You won't be around to listen to his fireworks!!!

HATZLACHA!

IBR

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 12:25 am
To the amother with the phylosophy of the employer can ask you to do whatever unless degrading .... well I hope you change you idea soon cause degrading and inappropriate are very different for non jews and yidden #1 and even if we are talking about yidden only every person has their level or idea of what is appropriate, degrading ect... We live in USA for a reason that we can be employees NOT slaves!! Bless Abraham Lincoln

mumoo

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 12:55 am
Please tell me if I am asking for too much. I have been office manager for over 4 years. When I started I had nobody to traim me or any instruction mamual, basically I created my job and all the procedures. My office was the central place and often I would come in to find one of 3 Rabbis at my desk. When you are new, you accept.

The problem is I have asked that no one sit at my desk, because my computer files get moved around, random things are saved to random places on my hard drive, files are deleted, the printer, fax, copier, internet, whatever are repeatedly malfunctioning-all making me waste my time to fix these things. I have limited time between am carpool and nursery dismissal- yet I am still accountablefor full-time-hours accomplishments.

You should know, since I started, I purchased each Rabbi a computer (approved expenses), set up internet, email accounts, put a printer on the server; I made it so there is no reason for anyone to be at my desk.

It makes no difference. Am I wrong to be annoyed ny this?

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 1:31 am
Mumoo - certainly not since you set up places for them to do their work ...

binah - find a job during your breaks so that you have a place to go when u quit - this way it is easier you have more time to shop for what you want out of a job - making your own requests easier to meet.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 8:23 am
As a boss I do expect my employee to pay and file my personal bills, Keep the office clean (no vacuuming but what is wrong with wiping the screen and keyboard once in a while?) I wouldnt ask to babysit or do housework but if I have paperwork that needs to get done I dont see why it should be different then the business paperwork

tovasara

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 1:02 pm
I was told years ago "If you don't like your job quit, if not shut up".

While I think there are valid reasons and respectful ways to bring up issues about your job, if we work for other people we do have to realize that they are going to be in control of what our work load is.

That said, I would be extremely hesitant to leave a job in this economy if you don't have another one lined up. And jobs are very hard to find these days.

Issues at work can be very difficult but you never know what the next job is going to bring either.

Also, I'm not saying not to discuss the issues with people in order to get their perspective and help troubleshoot. I strongly recommend doing that as you can benefit from hearing how others dealt with workplace issues. but please don't think you are going to change anything other than how you deal with it. You are likely not going to change the situation or your boss.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 1:08 pm
I was office manager (as in second in command) and one day the janitor called in sick and the boss asked me to take out the garbage and sweep the floor.

I had one boss who called me at 2:00 in the morning b/c he wanted to tell me something important (a job that had to be done first thing in the morning.. no reason he couldn't leave a message on my desk).

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 1:30 pm
amother wrote:

Uh, no. That's why there are job descriptions and performance programs--to make sure that both sides understand what the job expectations are. Are you using the word "inappropriate" appropriately, in the sense of "unfitting, improper" and not as a euphemism for illegal, immoral or unethical (we can be so mealymouthed sometimes)? If so, then I agree, your boss can ask you to do anything so long as it's not inappropriate. Asking you to do something way inconsistent with your job description is way inappropriate, even if it's not demeaning. You might not object to the task, but asking you to do it is still inappropriate.

It's inappropriate to ask an employee to do personal, I.e. not business-related, tasks for you, and if you don't own the company, it may be illegal.

That's why I never ask anyone at work to water my plants if I'm going to be away. If someone is kindhearted enough to take pity on the poor things and water them, I'm most grateful, but I would never think of asking them to do it.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 1:41 pm
I agree with amother but my bosses have never really asked me to do inappropriate things.

auntie_em

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 1:46 pm
I know it's already 4 years since the OP, but I'm sure curious!

Binah918, if you are still around...what happened in the end?? Did you write the will (creepy!)?
I've had some weird bosses, but your's takes the cake!

1Life2Live

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 1:54 pm
That's why I like working in corporate america. No one will ask me to do their personal errands or sweep the floors. I (unfortunately) only hear about these inappropriate employee expectations from people who work in frum offices. notshanarishona- I'm betting that you work in a frum office.

imaima

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 2:03 pm
mumoo wrote:
Please tell me if I am asking for too much. I have been office manager for over 4 years. When I started I had nobody to traim me or any instruction mamual, basically I created my job and all the procedures. My office was the central place and often I would come in to find one of 3 Rabbis at my desk. When you are new, you accept.

The problem is I have asked that no one sit at my desk, because my computer files get moved around, random things are saved to random places on my hard drive, files are deleted, the printer, fax, copier, internet, whatever are repeatedly malfunctioning-all making me waste my time to fix these things. I have limited time between am carpool and nursery dismissal- yet I am still accountablefor full-time-hours accomplishments.

You should know, since I started, I purchased each Rabbi a computer (approved expenses), set up internet, email accounts, put a printer on the server; I made it so there is no reason for anyone to be at my desk.

It makes no difference. Am I wrong to be annoyed ny this?

I think it is wrong from the religious point of view. Thea steal your time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics