Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Traveling with 4 small kids on LONG plane ride! Ideas please

coffeelover

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 10:54 pm
I'm traveling with my husband and 4 kids (5, 4, 3 and 12 months) and I'm 6 months pregnant. Including a stop we're flying for 14 hours. I'm petrified about the flight (there is no in-seat entertainment) . What should I take along? The 3 year old is probably the biggest problem. Thanks .

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 11:00 pm
eek Ijust did this..

Best think for the three oldest (3,4,5) take them to the store and let them pick a note book and pencils (typically dollar store). Write their name on the cover so it feels special. Tell them this is so they can color while on the plane. Bring nosh! Especially for take off and landing, so they have something for their ears poping. Remember no drinks, they will take it away at check in, unless under 3oz.

Small backpacks, so the kids can have their own note books and pencils (crayons) and one or two small toys. Remember it has to be light enough for them to carry, because your hands are full enough.

good luck

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 6:21 am
Buy coloring books/sticker books for the older kids. How about portable cd player (or if you are really rich, dvd player!) so the kids can listen to music or stories.

New toys are always more exciting, so get something new for the 3 year old, something that will keep him entertained.

technic

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 7:01 am
general anaesthetic Very Happy

abiE

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 8:36 am
just did it with 4 kids aged 5,4,2 and 4months.getting something new for the plane is a god idea.new stories too.sometimes they like listening to the music with their headphones provided.I always take ibruprofen and paracetamol on flights just in case.if its overnight a dose of something that makes them drowsy is good!

ny21

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 3:07 pm
[quote="technic"]general anaesthetic Very Happy[/quote]
thats funny=
some people give their kids cough medicine to make them sleepy

Meema2Kids

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 3:25 pm
I traveled to Israel with my 20 month old (when 7 months pregnant). I went to the dollar store beforehand and we picked out some toys together. She actually ended up sleeping most of the flight.

withhumor

Post Sat, Jan 20 2007, 10:53 pm
Yep, mini backpacks for their stuff is more fun than the stuff inside it! Good luck.

I also let them pick out mini ‘book-lights’ for $1 and even though the light was on or off, they loved feeling special with their own light on. I find that a warm hearty meal can be magic. Take along a family favorite and double wrap it. If you’re really nice to one of the stewardesses they might actually warm it up for you in their oven! Sometimes you get lucky. I also asked McDonalds to warm it up for me while waiting for the flight. If the container is sealed and you put it inside 2 zip-lock bags, it’s perfectly fine. Ask your rav.

momto4

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 7:59 pm
2 yrs ago we did a 17 hr. drive with 4 little kids. I remember being so overwhelmed with the idea of it. anyway I bouhgt tons of food, drinks, books, small toys etc. travel games are also good. books on tape with headphones might be good. I also had a portable dvd playe which was a huge help. good luck!

lotte

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 8:11 pm
I just heard on 1010 wins news today that 3 ppl (parents+child)were taken off a flight cause they couldn't make their 3 ys old sit down .

amother

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 11:10 pm
teneleven wrote:
I just heard on 1010 wins news today that 3 ppl (parents+child)were taken off a flight cause they couldn't make their 3 ys old sit down .

I hope that won't be us when we travel later this week... Wink

raizy

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 11:52 pm
can anyone tell me. when flying on a plane with a child who drinks formalla. do they take that away or do they let u keep the formalla.??

yoyosma

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 12:01 am
raizy, they may make you drink it.
Otherwise, I dont see how they can take it from you. The liquid security detail was lifted a little while ago.
For those who are suggesting cough medicine or something that makes a kid drowsy, this is your child you are talking about! I know people dose their kids for flights or for nap time, and its a travesty.
Its so dangerous.
A while back there was a babysitter arrested in one of those Heimishe neighborhoods in Brooklyn because she had been giving her charges Benadryl to help them nap. A classmate of mines child died because the babysitter overdosed her baby. This was a trusted babysitter that people had been using for years and it was ALL over the news. I remember seeing it on all the news channels and what a Chillul Hashem it was.
So anyway, I know people swear up and down by it, especially when they travel to Israel or long distances but this is your baby!! Be careful with your baby! If you are really desperate, I would say Childrens Tylenol for ear pain but thats it!!!

yoyosma

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 12:21 am
Oh, and when a friend of mine flew to Australia with her then 2/3 year old (cant remember exactly how old he was) someone gave her the sage advice of using Benadryl to put him to sleep.
Well, it had the exact opposite affect and her son was literally going nuts for a 25 hour flight!!

mushmom

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 12:35 am
just saw this post.
I once mentioned to my doctor -as a joke, really- the idea of using benadryl to put a baby to sleep.
he got so serious and said: Whoever told you that idea, please run back and tell them NEVER to do that. Its playing with fire.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Mar 30 2007, 1:13 am
I would hope anyone suggesting using medicine to drug a child would be joking!

Anyway, lots of fun, new, age appropriate toys, and take turns caring for the kids... Set actual hours; a few hours where the other person can nap or rest, a few hours where you work together, a few hours where you go it alone.

And it is possible your child will cry and disturb others. Try not to get tense and take sour looks seriously. What can you do after all, really? The tension will only make it harder for you to deal with their boredom and edginess.

If anyone offers to help go ahead and let them, but do keep an eye on them. If someone is feeling motherly/grandmotherly why not?

Have a lovely flight. Hope your children are nice and quiet and everyone starts complimenting you.

(btw, if you are on the plane with crying babies it does help if you say a kind word to the parents, either sympathizing with them or pointing out how well they are doing etc. etc.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics