Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Cranberry apple crunch--kugel or pie?

mommy2acutie

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 5:08 pm
I love cranberry apple crunch and would like to serve it for shabbos but as dessert--I think its very sweet and sugary to be kugel. However, most people serve it as kugel. What do you think? Will my guests find it strange that something they usually eat with the main meal is served for dessert?

shiffycc

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 5:14 pm
For some reason cranberry is a kugel. I don't know why...but I can't serve it for dessert! But what I do is make the same recipe and change from cranberry to just apples, or frozen peaches etc, and voila! Its dessert! As long as you call it "apple crumble" or "peach cobbler" or whatever, it seems to be fine as a dessert. If you want you can make it warm and serve with whip or icecream.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 5:33 pm
well, cranberry sauce is sweet but it's served with the meal.

mommy2acutie

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 5:44 pm
Thanks OP! I realize that cranberry goes with meat but would you find it strange to be served cranberry/apple crisp for dessert? I don't like to feed my family such sugar at the main meal but everyone really enjoys the dish so I would like to make it--just for dessert!

agreer

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 6:50 pm
So make it for dessert.... Who cares?! Are you afraid your family and guests will judge you? It's probably yummier than a lot of other desserts so just go for it.

Or are u afraid your kids will have problems with schidduchim later on cuz Mama doesn't know the difference between kugel and dessert?! LOL

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 7:36 pm
I always serve it for dessert, sometimes with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. My dh is not into fruit-based dishes during the meal.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 8:16 pm
Pie.
I don't appreciate dessert served next to my meat.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 8:35 pm
Dessert. Though depends on the company. But's let's call a crunch a crunch. It's dessert.

ETA: this really deserves a survey Tongue Out

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 9:33 pm
Dessert in my house. Though I've seen it served as a side dish with the main course. Odd, but tasty.

sky

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 9:53 pm
I serve it alongside the meat. DH calls it dessert and saves it to eat last.

B"H YOM YOM

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 11:41 pm
We call it Cranapple COBBLER which classifies as dessert...or during meal...or whenever you'd like, we really don't mind at all so go ahead and have fun...

spring13

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 12:31 am
It's dessert to me, I was boggled when I went to sem and all of a sudden everyone seemed to think it was a vegetable.

Put a scoop of ice cream alongside, no one will say no to it as dessert!

etky

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 12:43 am
I also do a cranberry/apple combo and serve it as dessert. Definitely too sweet for the main course for our taste. BTW I also serve apple kugel as a dessert. There is a recipe in one of the KBD' that I make and call apple Clafouti (because that is essentially what it is!). I serve it warm with vanilla ice cream - one of our favorites!

Culturedpearls

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 2:29 am
I vote for desert! Serve with cream or ice cream.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics