Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Chanukah Gift for Non Religious Friend

amother

Post Sat, Dec 01 2012, 11:44 pm
My husband's co-worker is a non-religious man in his 60's. For the past three years him and his wife have been coming to us for yom tov meals. The past few times they have brought their married daughter and grandchild along. Unfortunately, the daughter is married to a non-jew. They are all coming to me for a supper on Chanukah (even the non-jewish son-in-law for the first time.)

I want to get the daughter & her husband a small Chanukah gift (think $20-25). I usually get the parents something with a Jewish twist, but I'm not sure it will be appropriate.

Wondering if you have any ideas what I can get her. I thought of a scarf or perfume but that is leaving the husband out and I don't want him to feel bad.

DrMom

Post Sat, Dec 01 2012, 11:45 pm
Some sort of decorate houseware item? A coffee table book? Gift certificate for movie tickets?

Fabulous

Post Sat, Dec 01 2012, 11:52 pm
I would think dinner out in a kosher restaurant, but even milchigs 20-25 is too little.

Maybe a gift certificate for babysitting?

ima_dina084

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 3:08 am
They come to you and your gifting them?
I dont get that...
But , I think if you are gifting them something, I would gift thier child a book about chanukah & chanka game
Or a child themed menorah ( they make menorahs devoratrd with bears, trains, basketballs, ballets shoes.. Ect) so that they can help the child light & get involved.
That child is jewish, and you can help him/her connect a little more.

ima_dina084

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 3:15 am
And I think it is very appropriate, and expected, that a religious woman on her holiday is gifting a holiday related gift.
Just because the sil is a non jew, hes not going to be left out, hes married to a jew and so to him he probably associates himself with, or at the very least accepts, judaism. Getting them a gift they can toss as just another item is such a waste. Your their conmection to Hashem, to meaning. Get them something meaningful .

UQT

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 10:29 pm
ima_dina084 wrote:
They come to you and your gifting them?
I dont get that...

I agree on a regular yom tov you don't have to give them back a bottle of wine for their bottle of wine, but isn't chanukah a time to exchange gifts with your friends, especially if they live in the non-religious non jewish/world.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics