Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
Mayim Bialik on the Late Late Show
1  2  3  4  5  Next

sequoia

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 3:32 pm

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 3:44 pm
thanks for the laugh!!!!!!!!

sequoia

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 3:53 pm
She is lovely. It is NOT easy being frum in show business.

mirror

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 4:48 pm
sequoia wrote:

I didn't know that being on TV made you frum.

chavaih

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 4:52 pm
sequoia wrote:

Frum? call her lovely, jewish, whatever you like, but calling a woman who kisses a guy live on tv frum is ludicrous!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 5:01 pm
chavaih wrote:
sequoia wrote:

Frum? call her lovely, jewish, whatever you like, but calling a woman who kisses a guy live on tv frum is ludicrous!

Back in the day being shomer Shabbos meant frum.

sequoia

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 5:04 pm
Not being shomer negiah doesn't make you not frum Smile Being shomer shabbat, kashrut, and TH makes you frum. Otherwise you would have to call entire shomer shabbat segments of the population not frum. (I hug my male friends. So what?)

That being said, being in show business pushes you to certain compromises that you may not be happy about. But she tries. She looks for clothes that are (more) modest, for example.

chavaih

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 5:07 pm
What you do in private is 1 thing, you can still be frum and not be able to control yourself, but dont go out in public acting like that and then call yourself frum, just doesnt make sense, im not saying theres anything positive or negative about being frum, - we were all brought up differently- my point is lets call a spade a spade, you want to live a certain way, call yourself MO or something, but don't hijack a word that defines people living a different lifestyle.

sequoia

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 5:15 pm
Oh, there is the misunderstanding Smile MO people are frum. Sorry for highjacking Smile

I don't know how to copy-paste on my phone but there's an article about her on Jewishrockland.org that's interesting.

I genuinely admire her.

Barbara

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 5:19 pm
chavaih wrote:
What you do in private is 1 thing, you can still be frum and not be able to control yourself, but dont go out in public acting like that and then call yourself frum, just doesnt make sense, im not saying theres anything positive or negative about being frum, - we were all brought up differently- my point is lets call a spade a spade, you want to live a certain way, call yourself MO or something, but don't hijack a word that defines people living a different lifestyle.

Ahh. Got it. Modern Orthodox people aren't frum. Only narrow-minded, judgmental people who cannot see outside of their little boxes are frum.

Happy to say that I don't know any frum people in real life, wherever on the Orthodox spectrum my friends and acquaintances may fall.

gila-rina

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 6:15 pm
She isn't the one calling herself "frum", and whatever she or anyone else does is really between them and hashem/rant.
I don't think she flaunts her religion. She is quietly doing her own thing. Lets not judge.

imamiri

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 6:39 pm
chavaih wrote:

I bet you didn't know this. There are many MO posters here. On a frum website. Because they are frum.

Edited for sticky keys.

Last edited by imamiri on Tue, Dec 04 2012, 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

chavaih

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 7:19 pm
imamiri wrote:
chavaih wrote:

I bet you didn't now this. There are many MO posters here. On a frum website. Because they are frum.

I have lots of MO friends who I love and respect some more than my frum ones, but only when they are confident enough in their lifestyle not to call themselves something their not.

If you do something that is clearly against halacho then you can't call yourself frum, is this not plain logic???

You choose to live a certain lifestyle, embrace it and be proud, why call yourself something your not?

Again not judging anyone or their lifestyle, just unhappy with people fooling themselves, you can't have the cake and eat it too

saw50st8

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 7:26 pm
You must never have spoken lashon hara!

chavaih

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 7:29 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
You must never have spoken lashon hara!

See above.

P.S. What makes you think I class myself as frum? (-;

saw50st8

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 7:31 pm
Then why are you on this website?

Keep in mind that Mayim has family and friends on this website. She is very open about her religious stance.

So do you call Shalom Rubashkin frum? He certainly violated halacha!

bamamama

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 7:35 pm
chavaih wrote:
imamiri wrote:
chavaih wrote:

I bet you didn't now this. There are many MO posters here. On a frum website. Because they are frum.

I have lots of MO friends who I love and respect some more than my frum ones, but only when they are confident enough in their lifestyle not to call themselves something their not.

If you do something that is clearly against halacho then you can't call yourself frum, is this not plain logic???

You choose to live a certain lifestyle, embrace it and be proud, why call yourself something your not?

Again not judging anyone or their lifestyle, just unhappy with people fooling themselves, you can't have the cake and eat it too

Please tell me I'm misunderstanding. I use "frum" interchangeably with Orthodox. I consider myself Orthodox (modern) and therefore I am frum. I'm hoping this is just an issue of semantics...

chavaih

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 7:35 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Then why are you on this website?

Keep in mind that Mayim has family and friends on this website. She is very open about her religious stance.

So do you call Shalom Rubashkin frum? He certainly violated halacha!

I don't call anyone anything, if you noticed I haven't said anything about Mayim either, I don't judge people, who am I to judge her or sholom rubashkin or anyone else for that matter?

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 7:36 pm
Unrelated to MO or Mayim:

There's a difference between violating halacha because of yetzer hara, all the while knowing that its wrong- and happily living a lifestyle that is in constant violation of halacha yet you feel comfortable with.

Not that I think MO is either of those. And I don't know Mayim, nor am I one to label her as anything.

Saw, you need a better argument.

Grandmama

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 7:41 pm
Adorable. I love Mayim.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links