Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
No sugar "diet" - snacks and foods to be able to e

amother

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 4:57 am
I have undertaken to stop eating sugar all together. I know I can do it. I did it once before and lost 9 pounds in two and a half weeks.
But I need good snacks to eat at work that have no sugar in them, but things that will fill me up.
I also just need non snacky foods to eat as well.

For example, today I took to work plain yogurt and cereal for breakfat, eggs, pepper and breadsticks for lunch.

But I am very hungry after eating all of that.

What do you people suggest?

And I am not eliminating carbs, just actual sugars.

Lolo88

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 5:01 am
I am on a diet of no sugar, no wheat, no dairy... it's hard but BH does wonders.
For no sugar... chicken is my best friend.... stuffed peppers.... grilled everything
for snacks I love rice cakes and natural peanut butter ( I am allowed to eat green apples, its the only fruit I eat..) so I cut up a green apple and eat it with the peanut butter/ricecake.
what else... popcorn is great, carrots, peppers, cucumbers... there are a ton of things. Even potato chips (not so healthy, but doesn't have sugar)

OutATowner

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 8:17 am
You can make sugar free muffins, use spleda or stevia. I haven't yet perfected that, but maybe you'll have success. If you do, let us know!
Good luck!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 8:18 am
fake sugar isn't heat stable. you will have more success with using the recipes that each company recommends.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 8:21 am
OutATowner wrote:
You can make sugar free muffins, use spleda or stevia. I haven't yet perfected that, but maybe you'll have success. If you do, let us know!
Good luck!
OP here. Im not going to be using any fake sugar either. None. Thanks for the idea though.

Pineapple

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 9:18 am
Oatmeal (with bluberries if u can have fruit)

Veggie sticks with chummos

amother

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 10:02 am
A little different but I'm on the gestational diabetes diet..

cereal was only something I could barely eat if I keep the portion size down - I found it not worth it since I would be be hungry afterwards.

my regular breakfast now is: 2 slices of diet whole wheat bread with 5% cream cheese or margarine and 1 egg. (shabbat breakfast was leben, piece of cheese and 1 hard boiled egg)

my main snack is another sandwich, usually with cheese or avocado about 3 hour after breakfast.

Other snacks are leben or yogurt or one piece of fruit or nuts or carrot sticks/cherry tomatoes... but I have to be careful with spacing before/after the leben/yogurt or fruit.

Lunch is usually a salad with a protein (like a cottage cheese, or 1 piece of snitzel, or tuna)

Shif

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 11:21 am
I don't eat sugar/sweeteners either...if you are careful about portion control- you can eat olives and nuts as snacks.

as far as meals- chicken, meat, eggs (hardboiled are good as snacks to), cooked veggies/salad.

If you aren't feeling satisfied w/your food, maybe add healthy fats or eat more protein.

OutATowner

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 12:58 pm
Quote:
A little different but I'm on the gestational diabetes diet..

cereal was only something I could barely eat if I keep the portion size down - I found it not worth it since I would be be hungry afterwards.

my regular breakfast now is: 2 slices of diet whole wheat bread with 5% cream cheese or margarine and 1 egg. (shabbat breakfast was leben, piece of cheese and 1 hard boiled egg)

my main snack is another sandwich, usually with cheese or avocado about 3 hour after breakfast.

Other snacks are leben or yogurt or one piece of fruit or nuts or carrot sticks/cherry tomatoes... but I have to be careful with spacing before/after the leben/yogurt or fruit.

Does the sugar in whole wheat bread count? I'm also trying to cut down my sugar.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 1:38 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
fake sugar isn't heat stable. you will have more success with using the recipes that each company recommends.

Why do you keep saying this. Many of us use Stevia and/or Splenda in baking with no problem. It was some of the older ones that had this problem. I've even posted links proving you wrong about this.

rivyroodle

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 7:52 pm
oatmeal (with splenda), crispy wheats, sugar free/fat free vanilla ice cream
pickles! etc.

http://images.monstermarketpla.....1.jpg

OutATowner

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 8:28 pm
Quote:

Why do you keep saying this. Many of us use Stevia and/or Splenda in baking with no problem. It was some of the older ones that had this problem. I've even posted links proving you wrong about this.

I have not had any luck with Stevia in the Raw. It says measures cup for cup like sugar but then lists a bunch of ways to adjust recipes. I have a huge bag and would love some recipes, could you post some that you use? Thanks!

bamamama

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 11:14 pm
I find nuts and cheese to be especially satisfying. Continuing to eat carbs like cereal sets you up in a high/low sugar cycle so that could be why you are not feeling satisfied.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 11:33 pm
OutATowner wrote:
Quote:

I have not had any luck with Stevia in the Raw. It says measures cup for cup like sugar but then lists a bunch of ways to adjust recipes. I have a huge bag and would love some recipes, could you post some that you use? Thanks!

I find that you only need around half as much Stevia in the Raw as you do sugar -- it is sweeter. If you use the right amount it tastes good, but too much can taste bitter. I don't have specific recipes, I just use around half and it's trial and error.

LibaB

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 8:22 am
Check out the eating clean diet. They have really great meal plans and super simple healthy recipes that don't use sugar or other processes foods.

chani8

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 8:57 am
I'm on a low carb, no sugar, low calorie diet.

For snacks that satisfy and keep the hunger away:

a piece of sliced cheese
almonds
a yogurt or two
whole cream in my coffee

A staple to my diet is 2 eggs with cottage cheese. Fills me up for hours.

mha3484

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 1:08 pm
I have found when baking with stevia products, the batter can taste off or bitter but when baked it tastes totally fine. I have no idea why but its pretty consistent.

chani8

Post Tue, Dec 11 2012, 10:22 am
I am trying hard to make recipes that use no fake sweetener or sugar. It is very hard. I find peanut butter, coconut, or banana adds sweetness.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking