Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cheeses made by non jewish companies that are kosher?

YW123

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 7:06 pm
the only ones I have found are weight watchers cream cheese that is OUD. are there any shredded or like mozzerella/muenster cheeses that are a good hechsher?

bamamama

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 7:29 pm
In canada there are some OU-D cheeses made by a company called Bothwells. So if you are in Canada... The problem is that renneted cheese ( mozz, muenster, cheddar, etc.) needs a mashgiach temidi to add the rennet. So, you tend to only find non-heimishe brand cheese when there is a cheese factory near a sizeable Jewish population (I.e. Bothwell's is out of Winnipeg IIRC).

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 8:05 pm
Miller's - I think it is actually a Jewish brand but it's not cholov yisrael and is sold in mainstream supermarkets so easier to find.

Chavelamomela

Post Sun, Dec 09 2012, 8:41 pm
Tilamook makes great cheddar - a Californian company

Cabot has some OUd cheeses that are great.

The companies that make kosher cheeses are pretty much all Jewish owned (its a small niche market).

FYI, Millers and Ha'Olam are owned by the same company (and yes, it's a Jewish family...I know them).

Le Petit Fermierre is another brand

As is "The Cheese Guy" brand (I know that guy too...)

amother

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 12:57 am
the kosher cheese I get is made by a non Jewish dairy. A jewish company buys some of it and has it made with chalav yisrael milk. But otherwise it is the same cheese that the company sells under its non kosher label.

But this is outside the USA.

cm

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 4:11 am
What do you consider a "good" hechsher?

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 9:35 am
sonny boy is mashgiach cheese quite often around ohio ... he's the one who adds the rennet ... only problem the companies are so big he can never tell me which company it ends up under ... also he only eats cholov yisroel & the cheese is not watched from milking so he doesn't pay the same attention as I would Cheese Cheese

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 10:49 am
I've noticed there are many types of semi-soft cheese imported from France, that are national brands but has separate hechsher seals that are special kosher production.

MrsDash

Post Mon, Dec 10 2012, 11:01 am
Chavelamomela wrote:
Tilamook makes great cheddar - a Californian company

Cabot has some OUd cheeses that are great.

The companies that make kosher cheeses are pretty much all Jewish owned (its a small niche market).

FYI, Millers and Ha'Olam are owned by the same company (and yes, it's a Jewish family...I know them).

Le Petit Fermierre is another brand

As is "The Cheese Guy" brand (I know that guy too...)

They make incredible cheese, and they're very cheap!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen