Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Shopping in Yerushalayim
1  2  Next

ssm101

Post Tue, Dec 11 2012, 9:06 am
My husband and and I are planning a trip to Eretz Yisrael next month. I haven’t been there since I was in seminary 11 years ago so I am very excited to go. Can anyone recommend where is a good place (good quality and reasonable prices) to buy the following items:

Tzitzes (both for my husband and my son)

Yarmulkas for a 7 year old boy (we want ones that we can put his name on)

Kotel necklace for my daughters (with their names on them)

Table clothes for shabbos/yom tov

Let me know if there are other things that are good to buy in Israel for me or my family (that isn’t too big to shlep back home)

Also if you suggest good low cost gifts to buy parents & mother-in-law who will be watching the kids while we’re there and possibly something to buy my siblings

Also if you can give me the contact info for the store that does kotel rings /necklaces I’d appreciate as I want to call them to order them so that they are ready when we’re there since you’re only going to be there for 6 days.

Thanks so much for any tips/advice!

ray family

Post Tue, Dec 11 2012, 9:17 am
same place where you did shopping in sem- geula- one stop shopping!
some things might be slightly more expensive but might be worth it rather than having to have to shlep around trying to find what you're looking for

ssm101

Post Tue, Dec 11 2012, 9:21 am
But which stores in geulah? I don't want to get ripped off and also I don't have a whole day to just shop. I want to do all my shopping in a couple hours so we have more time to tour.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 11 2012, 10:33 am
For the kotel jewelry, there is a large store (sorry, don't remember the name) on Rechov Meah Shearim the block past Kikar Shabbos on the left side if you're coming from Geulah -- they've got a great selection, good prices and do it fast -- usually ready the next day or so. You need to see the choices to order, you really can't do it by phone.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Dec 11 2012, 10:55 am
Make sure the tablecloth sizes match what you need. Tables in Israel tend to be narrower.

Shuly

Post Sat, Dec 15 2012, 12:55 pm
Chen Eilat on rechov Meah Shearim in Geulah has great prices on Judaica gifts (mezuzah cases, washing cups, tea light holders etc.) They also make all the name jewelry, but you will have to go back later to pick it up.

Jerusalem Yarmulka, about a block past Chen Eilat and closer to Meah Shearim, seems to be the place to go for yarmulkas with names. I have bought them in other stores but I found that they do a very professional job in Jerusalem Yarmulka. A plain yarmulka is 10 NIS and it's 4 NIS per letter or 10 NIS for one large letter.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Dec 15 2012, 2:09 pm
Apologies this is not the direct answer to OP's inquiry, and may be slightly off the topic, but I'm really wondering if people still let their sons wear kippot with their names. With paedophiles and other unsavoury characters seeming to target vulnerable population including children, personally I'm loathe to let my son wear something to give enough clues to a total stranger so he can my DS by his name.

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Dec 15 2012, 4:01 pm
Shuly wrote:
Chen Eilat on rechov Meah Shearim in Geulah has great prices on Judaica gifts (mezuzah cases, washing cups, tea light holders etc.) They also make all the name jewelry, but you will have to go back later to pick it up.

Yes, that's the store I was describing in my post above. Great place.

ssm101

Post Sat, Dec 15 2012, 7:33 pm
OP here. Thanks for much for the names of the stores. If I order the jewelry and yarmulkas on a Friday morning do you think they would be ready by Tues or Wed?

Anyone know a good store to buy good priced shabbos tablecloths and also tzitzes? Thank you!

ray family

Post Sat, Dec 15 2012, 9:01 pm
tzitzis you can probably also pick up at Jerusalem Yarmulka (I think. I don't live in Yerushalayim and haven't been to the store in a while)

ray family

Post Sat, Dec 15 2012, 9:01 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Apologies this is not the direct answer to OP's inquiry, and may be slightly off the topic, but I'm really wondering if people still let their sons wear kippot with their names. With paedophiles and other unsavoury characters seeming to target vulnerable population including children, personally I'm loathe to let my son wear something to give enough clues to a total stranger so he can my DS by his name.

that's why I stopped letting my kids wear them.
some pple just do one large letter which doesn't give the name away

Didi

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 5:07 am
Before you come measure your table in meters so you know what size table cloth you need to buy for your table.

Shuly

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 5:50 am
I buy boys tzitzis in Shmaya. There are 2 locations - one on Rechov Malchei Yisroel 33 and one around the corner on Rechov Yaakov Meir. They have yarmulkas there too, but they don't do names.
They also have men's tzitzis, but I've never bought them because DH buys the material and strings near his yeshiva and makes his own.

freidasima

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 6:03 am
Extra presents - for the ladies, dead sea products, definitely worthwhile and nice, you can get them in any pharmacy (superpharm, newpharm) or department store (mashbir) here.

For the men, well men are always a problem. Get them some nice sefer or something.

ssm101

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 9:59 am
Anyone know how late the stores in Meah shearim / geula are open on Thursday nights in the winter?

Zus

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 10:52 am
Table cloths: Imperiat HaChessed.
Does anyone know the address?

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 11:09 am
Zus wrote:
Table cloths: Imperiat HaChessed.
Does anyone know the address?
16 rechov petach tikva.
I would tell you to have a look there for everything you need, including yarmulkas, tzitzis, and other judaica. The prices there are usually substantially less than in Geula.

ssm101

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 4:00 pm
Where is Petach Tikvah Street? Is it in Yerushalayim? I'm looking for a table cloth store in Yerushalayim in a cental area such as Meah Shearim / Geula or the center of town, etc. Thanks for any info!

Liba

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 4:31 pm
It is on Rechov Petach Tivka which is in the Romema neighborhood of Jerusalem.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q.....;z=15

You can see the street, it is two streets up from the marker on the map that says "A". Google maps spells it Petah Tivka.

ssm101

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 7:46 pm
Thank you. So it's worth going there for tablecloths? Nothing in Meah Shearim or in town?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions