Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Flatbush area knowledge
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 8:54 pm
I am looking at a house in the Ave J and E 34th area. There aren't really any frum families on the block directly as far as I can tell, what I want to know is what the area is like. Are there young families on the next block, around corner? Friendly that we can go on shabbos to visit or others would come to us? Kids outside playing and riding bikes? Am I crazy to buy on a block that's not really Jewish, so close to Flatbush ave? I want my kids to have friends and what to do when not in school.

This is the only thing holding us back. Please help us with your knowledge of the area. Thank you in advance.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 9:00 pm
Just beware that if it's the block I'm thinking of (I think I looked at a house on that block) there are quite a few pretty run down row-houses which are inhabited by less than savory characters. Because of the size of those houses and their location the chance of them being sold to Jews in the near future is highly unlikely. That being said, as someone who is desperately looking for a house, real estate market here is crazy so GOOD LUCK!!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 9:01 pm
I live near there. Many frum families with kids within a few minutes walking distance. Nice neighbors. There is a frum family on that block already. Shopping is nearby, so are bus stops. Parking isn't so great as there is the apartment building right there.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 9:03 pm
amother wrote:
Just beware that if it's the block I'm thinking of (I think I looked at a house on that block) there are quite a few pretty run down row-houses which are inhabited by less than savory characters. Because of the size of those houses and their location the chance of them being sold to Jews in the near future is highly unlikely. That being said, as someone who is desperately looking for a house, real estate market here is crazy so GOOD LUCK!!

Are you saying the sizes are small? Because as far as I can tell, this house is MUCH larger than marine park houses at a lower price range but it will need significant work that will likely make it a bit more expensive but then I'm left with a bigger house which is important to me.

Many houses in marine park are only 14 x 34 and many frum people live in those houses.

llsl

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 9:04 pm
I am also looking to buy a house in the 30's can u tell me where you heard about that house from it would be so helpful thank you!!!

The thirties is not all jewish but it is slowly becoming jewish. I know a few families around the corner and a block over so I would think it would be a good are people are even buying close to flatbush avenue then that but it depends if you would feel comfortable

amother

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 9:04 pm
amother wrote:
I live near there. Many frum families with kids within a few minutes walking distance. Nice neighbors. There is a frum family on that block already. Shopping is nearby, so are bus stops. Parking isn't so great as there is the apartment building right there.

Thank you for your input. Do you agree with the other amother about it unlikely more Jewish families will buy there?

newmother

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 9:13 pm
I know at least 2 frum families on East 34 between j and k and I am positive that if I ask my dh he will know of many more since he grew up right there. Also New York Avenue (33rd if you are not from here) is almost entirely jewish between j and k - I know many frum families on that block and there is a shtebile and a breslov shul on the block. New York between I and J also had some frum families but I am not sure how many.

edited to add that I just remembered that I drive down 34th bet J and K in the morning on my way to work and there are tons of frum women walking out their houses and around.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 9:23 pm
thank you newmother.

artz

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 9:36 pm
I know many ppl in that neighborhood and they are very happy. It seems like a lot of ppl are looking into that area.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 9:46 pm
every block is different- for example, e. 34th bet K and L has a bunch of frum families, but I was under the impression that as you move down e. 34th toward J, there are less frum families and perhaps it isnt the classiest crowd of people.

in brooklyn, it is very important to have nice families on YOUR block, not around the corner or on the next block. every block is kind of a neighborhood of its own. it is hard to make friends with people who are not on your exact block. that is just the way it is... brooklyn doesnt have a community feeling because its so large and populated, and the lifestyle there is so busy and hectic, so people kind of stick to the people on their own block.

the 30s are slowly becoming more frum? maybe, but thats what they said when I was growing up (in the 90s), so I wonder if things have really made progress since then. I am not so sure that brooklyn is a growing area at this point. many young people are moving out of brooklyn, or if they stay in bklyn they are living in marine park or they are chassidish and living in boro park. so- I dunno.

I suggest that you drive down the block you are looking at a few times- on a sunday, on a school morning, on a holiday, etc., to get a feel for who is living there.

good luck

amother

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 9:56 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Thank you for your input. Do you agree with the other amother about it unlikely more Jewish families will buy there?

I DISagree. New frum families move in every so often (into the area) and I don't see why it should stop.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 10:01 pm
amother wrote:
every block is different- for example, e. 34th bet K and L has a bunch of frum families, but I was under the impression that as you move down e. 34th toward J, there are less frum families and perhaps it isnt the classiest crowd of people.

in brooklyn, it is very important to have nice families on YOUR block, not around the corner or on the next block. every block is kind of a neighborhood of its own. it is hard to make friends with people who are not on your exact block. that is just the way it is... brooklyn doesnt have a community feeling because its so large and populated, and the lifestyle there is so busy and hectic, so people kind of stick to the people on their own block.

the 30s are slowly becoming more frum? maybe, but thats what they said when I was growing up (in the 90s), so I wonder if things have really made progress since then. I am not so sure that brooklyn is a growing area at this point. many young people are moving out of brooklyn, or if they stay in bklyn they are living in marine park or they are chassidish and living in boro park. so- I dunno.

I suggest that you drive down the block you are looking at a few times- on a sunday, on a school morning, on a holiday, etc., to get a feel for who is living there.

good luck

op here, I hear you. However, you don't think that the 30s has increased significantly with Jewish families in the last 15 years or so? I don't think so. Where are they moving out of Brooklyn? That's the situation we are in. Lakewood is not an option for everyone.

Boro park is EXTREMELY expensive compared to this area and Marine Park. Think almost double for similar properties. Truthfully, I would love to live on the outskirts of boro park but I just can't afford it.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 10:28 pm
amother wrote:

good luck

Do you still live in Brooklyn? Because it is quite obvious you don't know that a large portion of the thirties is growing add fast as %36-37th streets. Stretching from the I/j area ave v. It is a pretty large frum area. My friend lives quite close to where op is talking about and its a thriving g area.

octopus

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 10:32 pm
the 30s is growing. ppl are moving to 36, 37th. when you were growing up ppl were moving a little past nostrand (31st , 32nd).

amother

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 10:35 pm
Thank you everyone. Keep the input coming. I appreciate all of it, positive and negative because I am looking at a true picture.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 10:51 pm
I live in that area and and have only 3 non jews on my block. my friend lives on 34th j and k and loves loves her block she said half the block is jewish!!!!!34th k and l is all jewish.

bookie

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 6:46 am
The one thing I will add is if you will move there expecting other people to join that's a mistake. My sil lives on 36th between M and Flatlands. Her block is mostly non jews which upsets her. All the blocks surrounding her are mostly frum. She has been living there for 12 years. As like others said around the corner in Brooklyn means nothing, it's your block that counts.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 8:43 am
bookie wrote:
The one thing I will add is if you will move there expecting other people to join that's a mistake. My sil lives on 36th between M and Flatlands. Her block is mostly non jews which upsets her. All the blocks surrounding her are mostly frum. She has been living there for 12 years. As like others said around the corner in Brooklyn means nothing, it's your block that counts.

But my question is why? I don't mind living on a block with non-Jewish people as long as my kids still have who to play with. What's the big deal of us crossing the street to play or if I have a nice playroom, for other kids to come to us? Is it really such a big deal to not have Jewish families ON the block? I don't mind being proactive to make us friends and once we have them, wouldn't people "travel" half a block to play with them and visit us, as I would them? If the reason the whole block thing is so in Brooklyn is because of such populous blocks, then if they are not in that neighborhood, why wouldn't people be friends with neighbors on the next block?

Really trying to understand.

bookie

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 8:47 am
People tend to be cliquey and if there are already kids for them to play with they might not be interested in going around the corner. I know on my block (not in the 30's) there is a clique of friends and they are not interested in playing with others. My dd plays with other girls on my block. It's much easier for kids to just run out and play with the neighbors next door then have to walk around the corner. I know for myself that if we see girls outside I will let my dd out but I wouldn't necessarily walk around the corner to see whats doing there.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 8:52 am
thank you bookie.

While that is often true, I have heard that the thirties is a nicer neighborhood in that respect, that people are just nice and friendly to everyone.

I want to confirm here.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating