Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What's most important in choosing a school for your daughter

simchamommy

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 3:29 pm
Having raised daughters what factors have you found to be most important in your daughter's schooling? If you would start all over again what would you look for in choosing the right school?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 4:25 pm
I'm in the parsha now so looking forward to the responses.

small bean

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 4:28 pm
my daughter is only in pre1a, but the most important thing to me, was that the school was warm and that it wasn't stuck up.

MimiMommy

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 4:51 pm
A warm, receptive staff. Although my daughter is in a big class (kindergarten), the Morah knows her and she doesn't feel like she's not getting enough attention.
Also, a happy, colorful classroom.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 5:50 pm
For an intellectually advanced child, the school must employ teachers with a real understanding of the students' differing needs and ability to meet them, with wholehearted support from the administration. The same would be true, of course, for students with any kind of special needs.

We have used schools that did not match our family's hashkafah at times, for various reasons, and I would recommend finding as good a "match" as possible. You are counting on the school environment to supplement and reinforce your home values, not supplant or conflict with them.

Discipline and classroom management - ask the principal what the school's philosophy is. Also speak with parents who have had children in the school recently, or teachers, if you can.

On a school tour, I like to see the students' own creations on display. I like to see that they are not all identical.

The principal should be able to produce the grade curriculum and show it to you. The teacher should not have to make it up as she goes along.

Absolutely talk to other parents, but don't just ask them if they "like" a particular school or teacher; ask them what they like about it. Different families sometimes have wildly divergent opinions about the same situation. You need enough information to make your own decision.

(amother because I discuss this so much with people in real life!)

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 9:53 pm
Most important:

A place where the child feels like she belongs, feels like she is just like everyone else, and a place whose Hashkafa jives with that of your home.

Level of education, organization, financial stability, involvement of teachers and superiors, caring staff are all important but the most important is above.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 10:57 pm
A good secular education with a Hashkafa that is consistent with mine. I am willing to bend a bit to the left to get the good education. I just make sure to explain to my daughter the way we do things at home is proper.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 10:59 pm
My dd is still a baby, but what's important to me is that the hashkafa is consistent with our family's. And an overall positive, warm atmosphere.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children