Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Diet/OA Question? End of my rope.
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

marina

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 1:31 pm
Here's my advice:

1. Whatever carbs you are eating- stop. No fruit, no starches, no dietary fiber, no lettuce, no milk - nothing. Maximum of 10-20 carbs per day, TOPS.

2 Eat fat and a small amount of protein. Morning and lunch. Your fat intake should be triple your total sum of protein and carb intake. Mayonnaise on everything. Eggs. High fat meats. Fish. Cheese. Heavy cream- lots of that.

3. Skip dinner entirely. Maybe a cup of tea.

This is the basis of the Ketosis diet. It works because your body can't burn carbs or proteins since you're not eating enough of those. It has no choice but to burn fat. It works relatively quickly.

Also, skipping dinner resets your metabolism so you lose weight at night.

I lost so far 40 pounds and 8 dress sizes just on this diet alone in the last 5 months and am back to a normal BMI. No exercise needed, although the fat will burn off faster if you do.

c.c.cookie

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 1:51 pm
Marina, I understand why this diet would work, but it doesn't sound wise long-term. NO carbs, and hardly any proteins doesn't sound very balanced to me.

Maya

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 1:55 pm
marina wrote:
Here's my advice:

1. Whatever carbs you are eating- stop. No fruit, no starches, no dietary fiber, no lettuce, no milk - nothing. Maximum of 10-20 carbs per day, TOPS.

2 Eat fat and a small amount of protein. Morning and lunch. Your fat intake should be triple your total sum of protein and carb intake. Mayonnaise on everything. Eggs. High fat meats. Fish. Cheese. Heavy cream- lots of that.

This is the basis of the Ketosis diet. It works because your body can't burn carbs or proteins since you're not eating enough of those. It has no choice but to burn fat. It works relatively quickly.

I lost so far 40 pounds and 8 dress sizes just on this diet alone in the last 5 months and am back to a normal BMI. No exercise needed, although the fat will burn off faster if you do.

You're kidding, right? This looks like a death sentence.

c.c.cookie

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 2:00 pm
Maya wrote:
marina wrote:
Here's my advice:

Nope. It's real. Just looked it up. Check it out here
http://www.ehow.com/how_520381......html
I just noticed where it explained why it's called the ketosis diet:

because individuals who switch from high carbohydrates to low carbohydrates often go through a process called ketosis. This is when the body releases ketones, which happens when the liver works to turn fats into fatty acids that can be used to provide energy to the body. This is a process that also happens when someone is starving.
The bolded made me cringe.
PLEASE don't try this diet without speaking to a doctor or dietician, OP.

etky

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 2:06 pm
What's the difference bt. the Ketosis diet and the first phase of Atkins? Sound pretty much the same to me except that if I remember correctly, Atkins limits this phase to a shorter period of time.

Maya

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 2:36 pm
etky wrote:
What's the difference bt. the Ketosis diet and the first phase of Atkins? Sound pretty much the same to me except that if I remember correctly, Atkins limits this phase to a shorter period of time.

I think Atkins is also dangerous. A relative of mine saw his cholestrol shoot up after a few months on Atkins, and then go back to normal after he modified it by adding more fruits and reducing fat.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 3:13 pm
Maya wrote:
etky wrote:

I think Atkins is also dangerous. A relative of mine saw his cholestrol shoot up after a few months on Atkins, and then go back to normal after he modified it by adding more fruits and reducing fat.

Atkins is NOT dangerous. Most people do not find that their cholesterol shoots up from Atkins, but you need to stay on top of your blood work. My problem with Atkins was that it was very hard to stick with it for a period of time because I started to crave carbs. Maybe physically and maybe psychologically. But crave them I did. Even though I was in ketosis. But, heck, I got to a point where I couldn't stick to ANY diet.

Maya

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 3:16 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
Maya wrote:
etky wrote:

Atkins is NOT dangerous. Most people do not find that their cholesterol shoots up from Atkins, but you need to stay on top of your blood work. My problem with Atkins was that it was very hard to stick with it for a period of time because I started to crave carbs. Maybe physically and maybe psychologically. But crave them I did. Even though I was in ketosis. But, heck, I got to a point where I couldn't stick to ANY diet.

In my opinion, it's simple science that if you cut out fruits, many vegetables and whole grains from your diet, and pile on the foods high in fat, you're just not in the best of health. You may be thin, but you're not healthy.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 02 2013, 10:40 am
amother wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
you need the right dr and success doesn't happen overnight

You're right, I do. My doctor doesn't take me seriously, my endocrinologist found nothing, and my dietician told me I must eat more.

Success doesn't happen overnight. I've been dieting for 20 years now, no sugar, flour, starch and limited fat, dairy, and ultra limited calories for at least 3 1/2 years now.

I relate to you completely, I have the same thing Crying
This video might be inspiring:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....dex=2

Shes struggled with weight all her life and at age 42 she came across a solution and she's maintained for over a year, very encouraging.....

amother

Post Wed, Jan 02 2013, 10:52 am
amother wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....dex=2

Shes struggled with weight all her life and at age 42 she came across a solution and she's maintained for over a year, very encouraging.....

OP here. I tried this. 4 times.

marina

Post Wed, Jan 02 2013, 11:19 am
maya, sure, my cholesterol may go up if I'm eating lots of eggs and red meat. But the danger of high cholesterol and eventual harm is much much greater for a very obese person whose arteries are clogged and who is on the verge of diabetes.

it's a trade off and one that worked phenomenally for me.

Also, the carb craving is bad bad for about a week or two. Then it evens out and I don't even care. Plus you can make fake no-carb desserts that are sweet.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 02 2013, 6:56 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....index

Sweetie, I have too and because of emotional eating I havent maintained properly and keep on yoyoing. embarrassed

The following video has given me so much hope again, please listen until the END:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HHcgCraZy

It's the first video there, I'm technically challenged and dont know how to paste that specific video.

Hatzlacha with this difficult nisayan!!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 02 2013, 7:05 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....index

Sweetie, I have too and because of emotional eating I havent maintained properly and keep on yoyoing. embarrassed

The following video has given me so much hope again, please listen until the END:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HHcgCraZy

It's the first video there, I'm technically challenged and dont know how to paste that specific video.

Hatzlacha with this difficult nisayan!!

OK I figured it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....dex=1

amother

Post Wed, Jan 02 2013, 7:26 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:
Maya wrote:
marina wrote:
Here's my advice:

Nope. It's real. Just looked it up. Check it out here
http://www.ehow.com/how_520381......html
I just noticed where it explained why it's called the ketosis diet:

because individuals who switch from high carbohydrates to low carbohydrates often go through a process called ketosis. This is when the body releases ketones, which happens when the liver works to turn fats into fatty acids that can be used to provide energy to the body. This is a process that also happens when someone is starving.
The bolded made me cringe.
PLEASE don't try this diet without speaking to a doctor or dietician, OP.

I am a dietician and this approach is an extremely effective way to lose weight without the sensation of starving. It is recommended to help overweight clients lose weight initially and is then modified to be more suitable for the long term.

It has been attacked as a weight loss strategy for many years already but there is growing evidence that it is not only not harmful, it is very beneficial.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 02 2013, 7:26 pm
I recently attended one TLC meeting. I found it very artificial & scripted. I'm glad it works for some people, but it's not for me.

In the past I attended a weight-loss support group led by a social worker. She wanted us to be on a food plan based on OA, and to be abstinent, but it was helpful to be able to share & work on emotional eating issues together.

I am fairly certain that most people with a lot of weight to lose (and no physical reason) will do better with psychological support more than nutritional.

However, I do believe a lot of what I've read about high-fructose corn syrup and genetically modified wheat (that's all the wheat you can buy today) causing obesity, so I would avoid those & see if it makes a difference.

chani8

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 1:04 am
marina wrote:
Here's my advice:

1. This is the Atkin's Stage 1 diet, is it not? FTR, DH lost over 40 pounds on Stage 3. I lost nearly 20 on Stage 2.

2. I agree that fat satiates the body and eliminates hunger, and balances blood sugar. It was 'the key' to success, for me. But it was hard to change the 'low fat' message that I was raised on! Personally, I cannot indulge in fatty meat, but there is plenty of fat (and less cholesterol) in chicken, eggs, cheese and cream.

3. When do you stop eating for the day, and then, how many hours in total are you "fasting"? And where did you get this concept from?

4. Just FTR, on Atkins, I had to monitor calories because I was not getting enough and was feeling weak. Apparently it is a common problem on that diet, and it doesn't ruin the diet to monitor calories. Also, not only might one not eat enough, some people can still 'overeat' on such a low carb diet. I know I can if I'm not careful.

marina

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 5:02 pm
chani8 wrote:
marina wrote:
Here's my advice:

1. This is the Atkin's Stage 1 diet, is it not? FTR, DH lost over 40 pounds on Stage 3. I lost nearly 20 on Stage 2.

2. I agree that fat satiates the body and eliminates hunger, and balances blood sugar. It was 'the key' to success, for me. But it was hard to change the 'low fat' message that I was raised on! Personally, I cannot indulge in fatty meat, but there is plenty of fat (and less cholesterol) in chicken, eggs, cheese and cream.

3. When do you stop eating for the day, and then, how many hours in total are you "fasting"? And where did you get this concept from?

4. Just FTR, on Atkins, I had to monitor calories because I was not getting enough and was feeling weak. Apparently it is a common problem on that diet, and it doesn't ruin the diet to monitor calories. Also, not only might one not eat enough, some people can still 'overeat' on such a low carb diet. I know I can if I'm not careful.

I don't fast. I just don't eat a lot after 2 or 3 or 4 in the afternoon. I may have a cup of tea or decaf coffee with a carb-free cookie that I invented or a crustless cheesecake made with splenda.

There's a lot of scientific evidence for this approach. Here's a short article http://www.psychologytoday.com.....etter

etky

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 5:14 pm
I tried Atkins once but couldn't get past the induction phase which I did for a month. I lost a few pounds but I just couldn't stomach it. Breakfasts were a real breaking point for me - that's when I really missed the carbs.

Maya

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 5:14 pm
marina wrote:
maya, sure, my cholesterol may go up if I'm eating lots of eggs and red meat. But the danger of high cholesterol and eventual harm is much much greater for a very obese person whose arteries are clogged and who is on the verge of diabetes.

Also, the carb craving is bad bad for about a week or two. Then it evens out and I don't even care. Plus you can make fake no-carb desserts that are sweet.

Will you modify your diet to be more balanced once you reach a healthy weight and are not anymore at risk for diabetes and heart disease?

marina

Post Thu, Jan 03 2013, 11:14 pm
Maya wrote:
marina wrote:

Will you modify your diet to be more balanced once you reach a healthy weight and are not anymore at risk for diabetes and heart disease?

Most people should do that. Unfortunately, my diet is not for weight loss, but for another unrelated to weight medical condition. Only this diet works for it. So I will probably not been going off of it any time soon. This is sad because I LOVE CARBS. But the diet works for my medical condition and also I lost a bunch of weight. So those are big pluses.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise