Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
ISO Midwest Jewish community
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 5:12 pm
I'm looking for a list (if one exists) or ideas of decent sized Jewish communities in the midwest / south.

It doesnt have to be huge like NY or Florida -- we love the small town feel, but it should at least have a Jewish Day school and a restaurant or two.

Can anyone help me out with ideas?

Fabulous

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 5:15 pm
Cleveland, Chicago are on the larger size

Denver and South Bend are on the smaller side.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 5:17 pm
what kind of people live in CHicago ? (sorry if that came out wrong?)

I have this weird image that the frum community in Chicago is VERY frum - - like 'chinyuk' - am I wrong?

Where is South Bend? Do you know anything about the area?

Fabulous

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 5:19 pm
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....diana

there are several other posts as well about it.

Chicago, as far as I know, is a diverse population, with all different types of people. I don't think the majority are "chinyukked"

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 5:25 pm
what does chinyuk mean? I moved to Chicago and love it.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 5:28 pm
Chicago is the kind of place that has the advantages of a big city: many restaurants, schools, stores, etc. to choose from; but it also has the advantages of a smaller community in that in essence it is one community (for example, while there a couple of mikvaos, there is mainly one organization running them; there is one Bikur Cholim, etc.).

There is starting to develop more of a separate community in Skokie, but it is really still part of the main city community.

The one exception is Lubavitch who on the whole does not participate in the main city's community, but has their own.

The frum areas in the city are at the far edge, near the suburbs and are much nicer than many larger cities' urban areas. The more right wing people live mostly in the city or nearby Lincolnwood, but there are plenty of others there too.

Skokie has mainly more middle of the road and left wing types.

ElTam

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 5:29 pm
Cleveland has a real mix. Lubavitch, yeshivish, just plain frum, MO. Three day schools, all go to high school. Plus Telshe yeshiva. Two meat restaurants. A few dairy restaurants. Good choice of shuls. Three kosher butchers. One kosher grocery.

Two seforim/Judaica stores. Amazing Bikkur Cholim. Three mivkaos, Lots of learning through kollelim and shiurim. A tremendous amount of chesed.

It's a very warm, welcoming community. Housing is really affordable. The challenge is the job market.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 5:32 pm
Im sorry for using the term chinyuk - I kind of hate that term Smile

I think what you posted about Lubavitch being a separate community is the issue - my husband loves to daven at Chabad, and we have chabad family members, but we're not the kinds of people that would only got to a chabad school / shul / events. I think thats why in the past we never thought much about chicago.

Someone recommended Cleveland to us -- and im just wondering what else is out there.

Does anyone know anything about Memphis ? Atlanta? St. Louis ? I dont know much - but I sometimes here these names pop up in conversation .

I appreciate everyone's insight! thank you!

chavamom

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 7:01 pm
St. Louis is a medium-sized, warm community. The yeshivish community is growing more so than the modern one. What this means in practice is that the "cheder-type" school grows yearly but the community day-school is having a bit of a crisis and their numbers are down. What else would you like to know?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 7:49 pm
amother wrote:
my husband loves to daven at Chabad, and we have chabad family members, but we're not the kinds of people that would only got to a chabad school / shul / events.

Pittsburgh? It has a very strong chabad community as well as a good mix of yeshivish and MO people. Dayschool and yeshiva up to high school, people are very friendly. I'm not familiar with the latest on kosher restaurants but there used to be one fleishig and one milchig/pizza place. It's not too expensive, everything is in the same neighborhood (Squirrel Hill).

m75

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 8:58 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
my husband loves to daven at Chabad, and we have chabad family members, but we're not the kinds of people that would only got to a chabad school / shul / events.

Pittsburgh? It has a very strong chabad community as well as a good mix of yeshivish and MO people. Dayschool and yeshiva up to high school, people are very friendly. I'm not familiar with the latest on kosher restaurants but there used to be one fleishig and one milchig/pizza place. It's not too expensive, everything is in the same neighborhood (Squirrel Hill).

Here's some more info abt Pittsburgh:
As the other poster said everything is in the same neighborhood so I am able to walk to most places, there is a pizza place and a fleishig place (but the fleishig one is only open 2 evenings/wk), and occassionally some of the shuls do "restaurant nights", if you don't keep chalav yisroel there is a kosher Dunkin Donuts, the regular supermarket has a pareve bakery, there's a kosher supermarket across the street from it, the Costco which is very close by has a good kosher meat and cheese section and has a kosher, dairy (not chalav yisroel) bakery. There is also a kosher bakery but it's in a different neighborhood a couple of miles away. There are 2 main shuls, a couple of smaller ones, and a big lubavitch one. The lubavitch community and the orthodox community are about the same size and while people do tend to stick within their own school/shul there is some crossover and some people even have kids in both schools. There are 2 schools one lubavitch (preschool through high school) and one orthodox (preschool through high school). The orthodox community is a blend of MO, yeshivish, and everything in between.
If anyone is interested in learning more about the community feel free to ask.

Last edited by m75 on Sun, Dec 30 2012, 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 9:03 pm
ElTam wrote:
Cleveland has a real mix. Lubavitch, yeshivish, just plain frum, MO. Three day schools, all go to high school. Plus Telshe yeshiva. Two meat restaurants. A few dairy restaurants. Good choice of shuls. Three kosher butchers. One kosher grocery.

Two seforim/Judaica stores. Amazing Bikkur Cholim. Three mivkaos, Lots of learning through kollelim and shiurim. A tremendous amount of chesed.

It's a very warm, welcoming community. Housing is really affordable. The challenge is the job market.

Different amother here. I've been following this thread and Cleveland sounds like the place for us. My dh learns in kollel and doesn't have much in the way of job skills Sad He's super smart, but I well enough know that means bobkus. Any Cleveland-ideas? He has a BA in history if that helps. Don't mean to hijack this thread.. hopefully your info will help OP and others.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 9:54 pm
Cincinnati is another wonderful midwestern community, not too big, not too small. Thriving.

miami85

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 10:01 pm
I love Pittsburgh I grew up there and would love to move back. South Bend is also nice small but people are moving there. Ive heard good things about atlanta.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 10:18 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Cincinnati is another wonderful midwestern community, not too big, not too small. Thriving.
Indeed Very Happy

We are a close and friendly community with lots of interaction between members of different shuls and quite a few people who belong to more than one shul.

A glimpse of our community amenities here: http://kollel.shul.net/Cincinn.....I.pdf

Two MO shuls: www.golfmanorsynagogue.org and www.shaareitorahcincy.org
One yeshivish shul: http://www.czecincinnati.org/

There is also a large Chabad presence: http://www.chabadba.com http://www.chabadoh.org

K-8 School
School & tuition info: http://chds.shul.net/tuition%20schedule.pdf
School voucher info: http://chds.shul.net/ohioedchoice.html

BY high school: http://ritsshighschool.com/

Plenty of kosher groceries (2 major chain stores with kosher delis, frozen food and shelf-goods, as well as more locations with lesser kosher sections). Also we have Trader Joe's and Costco.
Pizza/Mediterranean restaurant: http://kinneretcafe.com/
Kosher Indian restaurant: http://ammaskitchen.com
Bagel/soup/salad place, JCC Cafe, kosher ice cream places (Graeter's Ice Cream is nationally famous!) & more.
*The only Cholov Yisrael place is Kinneret, though Marx Bagels sells some Cholov Yisrael things (like cream cheese I think..?). Amma's has many vegan options for those who are willing to eat from non-CY dishes.

Kosher catering available.

New mikvah: http://cincinnatimikveh.org/.
There is also a Chabad mikvah.

Affordable higher education (undergrad & grad) with part-time options at University of Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky University and others. Professional baseball (Reds) and football (Bengals).

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 10:19 pm
id like to thank all of you who posted !!! thank you for taking the time to share some insight on the subject.

I think we're leaning towards Cleveland -- although neither of us have ever been there! I get a feeling that Celveland has a great mix of all types of Jews - one that would allow us to dress as we wish, make friends with different social groups, but still have a small town / midwestern feel.

(just to interrupt myself: the reason we'd like to stick with midwest and not the west/east coast is because ive been finding that the out of town lifestyle is much calmer, friendlier, CHEAPER, and a less pressurized way of life)

Having said that - I still like the idea that with Cleveland - I can buy kosher items, go out to eat and get my sheitel done! (and its also not THAT far from NY to visit family)

Thank you again for all who responded !!!!!

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 11:39 pm
What about Detroit? I'm surprised noone's mentioned it yet!

cbsmommy

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 12:41 am
amother wrote:
what kind of people live in CHicago ? (sorry if that came out wrong?)

I have this weird image that the frum community in Chicago is VERY frum - - like 'chinyuk' - am I wrong?

Where is South Bend? Do you know anything about the area?

What's "chinyuk"????

m75

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 9:26 am
amother wrote:

That's funny, I woke up this morning thinking about posting Detroit here.
We have visiting family in Detroit, the community is actually in Oak Park, Southfield, and maybe another place (but you can walk within the whole area - I know I walked once from Oak Park into Southfield) a number of times and have really liked the community there. There are a couple of different schools, lots of shuls, some restaurants, etc.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 10:30 am
amother wrote:

A lot like Cleveland, especially when it comes to the job market, but you never know what's available for a praticular skill set.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating