Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Apartment options for moving
1  2  Next

Mitzvahmom

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 7:11 pm
Ok I have found 2 possible apartments for moving

1. the apt has two bedrooms... But a huge living room and a huge dining room. Eat in Kitchen and a washer and drier.. it's $1100 a month and includes heat and hot water.

2. The apt has three bedrooms (I ahve not seen it yet). Possibly $1000 a month, but does not include any utilities.

Still waiting to hear on the second one, other thing is that the three bedroom is above a religious jewish single guy (no I am not interested in him and he's not interested in me).

timeout

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 7:17 pm
Mitzvah where are you finding all these great apartments? I'm looking high and low and can't find anything under $1600.

Mitzvahmom

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 7:19 pm
Connecticut...and BTW it's hard to come by them, and it's very far from the shul.

timeout

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 7:23 pm
Good Luck the prices sound great Smile

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 7:50 pm
I think you should look at them both......but your kids are pretty little; how do you get them to sleep and then study and have privacy? You'd end up keeping your stuff in the lr/dr. Are you okay with that?

Mitzvahmom

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 8:12 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I think you should look at them both......but your kids are pretty little; how do you get them to sleep and then study and have privacy? You'd end up keeping your stuff in the lr/dr. Are you okay with that?

That's what I do now!

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 8:22 pm
You really have to look and them to get a better idea and also ask how much utilites are in other apt. so you can figure which is better for you price or space.

shoy18

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 8:27 pm
the most important thing to find out if how much heat costs, bec in an old drafty apartment it could be a fortune

withhumor

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 9:21 pm
Wow, I didn’t know you really think its worth moving but anyway here’s my 2 cents. Make sure you look for a place that does not include utilities. You don’t want any [crazy] landlords rationing your electricity and making you pay for it too. What if they don’t give you enough heating? Pay your own and save on your own when you can!

Also, always look at the living space first. That’s where you should concentrate the open space on. We live in Boro park and the kitchen and dining room is the ‘biggest’ part of our tiny apartment, and there it ends. The bedrooms only fit the beds and that’s all. We do all our living in the ‘big’ dining room and kitchen. Good luck!

Mitzvahmom

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 9:24 pm
ok I spoke with the guy that lives on the first floor

He said the kitchen is a nice size (that I could come by and see it tomorrow if I want)

For Gas (I.e. warm water) he pays $25 (now he has no kids it's just him in a huge apt). For heat he pays $48 (I.e. for himself). Electic is $30, just for him. Plus having to walk 3 blocks to the laundry mat to do laundry.

The other apt.. includes heat and hot water and a washer and dryer

withhumor

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 9:30 pm
OMG I paid over $200 for electric in my old apartment and they never gave us steam, we froze our epidermis off….

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 10:06 pm
Right, I don't believe that about heat !!!!!!!!!!! Gas is cheap, though . . . .

MM, do you have HEAP or other programs that you can apply for?

Mitzvahmom

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 10:07 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Right, I don't believe that about heat !!!!!!!!!!! Gas is cheap, though . . . .

MM, do you have HEAP or other programs that you can apply for?

We do have programs that can help with utilities...

A: takes time to go down fill out the paper work..

Yes I know it could help, just no time.

withhumor

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 10:14 pm
You don’t believe me? We went through the whole apartment hunting and moving process so that we can have our own central system. We lived almost 9 year sin a house where the landlady said ‘it’s on 72 and that’s the law!’ her law also said that at 10pm she was allowed to close the system down until 5am and when I was expecting my third I told my husband I’m not bringing another infant into this house! Then he got serious but we moved when my baby was 10 months old. I don’t regret paying an arm and a leg here in this apartment. I gave up a lot to live here yet it’s still worth it!

red sea

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 4:18 pm
I would def prefer the one with the washer dryer and more living space to run and play, plus its a lot cheaper. When you go to see it you will feel what temp the heating is kept on, sure some people have different preferences, but maybe this person needs it normal too.

technic

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 4:30 pm
timeout wrote:
I'm looking high and low and can't find anything under $1600.

r u crazy????why would YOU move??? who'd do ur laundry and cholent??? shock

( Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter )

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 11:39 am
Well... The threebedroom is not a good idea

I spoke with my RAbbi and he thinks it could cause problems. As it's a two family home and the only other occupant is a single frum yid.

The two bedroom apt. has possibilities, but they are going condo in a year maybe.

When I called the owner and told him it's just not good for me to have to move in a year. He said well what if I say 2 years, I kind of said well I am not so sure about that either. He said how long ru going to live there?

I said I want to find a place so that I can focus on my studies. So he's going to talk to his wife (business partner) and see if they could work something out with me. Interesting no?? But if something could be worked out it would be awesome!

cindy324

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 5:20 pm
I think the two bedroom is a better idea with the heat being included. I used to pay a LOT in my last apartment for the heat. Even though we were on the level plan, where you pay a set amount each month, we still paid $160/month AND still had to shell out more at the end of the winter to pay for the actual amount we used, since it was more than we paid for.

Quote:
timeout wrote:
I'm looking high and low and can't find anything under $1600.

r u crazy????why would YOU move??? who'd do ur laundry and cholent???

LOL technic, maybe she's planning to take the husband with her What

timeout

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 5:22 pm
Queen I am the queen you know Wink

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 2:56 pm
MM, what did you decide on?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics