Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Any ideas where to move? long
1  2  Next

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 1:10 pm
we are considering moving out of far rockaway, and I would like some info and ideas about places closer to lakewood, but not actually lakewood, and not where I would have to send my kids to school in lakewood.

we have three kids, a boy in pre-1A, a girl in nursery, and an 8 month old boy. my older son is in darchei, and my daughter is in by ateres miriam. also, my son gets OT 2x30 a week, so I would need a place where I wouldnt have to fight to get him services.

we are somewhere in between MO and yeshivish I think. we dont have a tv in the house, but my kids do watch things on the computer, and my husband and I watch things also. my husband wears jeans to work, and learns every night when he comes home. I wear mostly jean skirts, and in the summer I wear short skirts without tights. (all of this info is to help give you an idea of the type of place we are looking for)

we dont want to be in the part of new jersey where west orange is (not sure if thats north or south) and we dont want to be in philly, as ive heard that its very hard to get services there.

we want to be either in ny or nj. we are looking into inwood, but we DONT want to be in cedarhurst or woodmere. we are also considering hewlette, but havent actually looked there yet.

now for what we are looking for:
we would like at least 4 bedrooms with a master bath, and a decent back yard. we dont want to spend an arm and a leg for nothing, and also want to have room to expand without losing the back yard. frum neighbors is a must, but it doesnt have to be an exclusively jewish neighborhood.

sorry for the long post, but hopefully there is enough info here to get some good suggestions.

Henna12

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 1:54 pm
Have you looked into north woodmere? You can pm me for more info

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 1:57 pm
Elizabeth, NJ?

Fabulous

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 2:11 pm
passaic?

Why have you ruled out woodmere and cedarhurst. It sounds like a good fit and your ds can continue in darchei.

September June

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 2:16 pm
Highland Park?

NY probably offers more services than NJ.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 2:56 pm
Fabulous wrote:
passaic?

Why have you ruled out woodmere and cedarhurst. It sounds like a good fit and your ds can continue in darchei.

we have ruled those places out for a few different reasons, which I would rather not get into here.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 2:58 pm
sorry, left this out of my last post....

what can you tell me about highland park, elizabeth and passaic?

I need info on schools, shuls, and pricing.....

oh, and one more thing- I dont want to be living attache din any way, or "on top of" my neighbors.

penguin

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 3:10 pm
What about Staten Island?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 4:26 pm
Why are you moving from far rockaway? Do you want to switch your kids schools? That she be an important factor bcuz if you don't then it would most likely b in wood which is the same as far rock, or Hewlett which is almost like Woodmere area...

amother

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 4:37 pm
Just to clarify: West Orange is in Essex County, west of Newark/Elizabeth. It is near South Orange, Maplewood and Livingston. It is considered northern NJ, but there are Jewish communities in NJ that are much more to the north (all of Bergen County). Are you specifically not interested in West Orange, not interested in the entire area, not interested in North Jersey? It's a little hard to tell from your post. If you could tell us what you don't like about it, it might help us narrow down the selections.

In Staten Island, the houses are so close to one another you can practically reach out your window and touch the house next door, and many houses have apartments underneath.

Do you have a preference about the schools? I'm not familiar with the schools you named, so it's hard to know what the NJ equivalents would be. Maybe it would be best to look into the schools first, before choosing a town. How far are you willing to have your kids commte? Do you require busing?

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 4:51 pm
highland park 1
highland park 2
highland park 3
highland park 4
highland park 5
highland park 6
ENJOY!! Very Happy

MimiMommy

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 4:55 pm
West Hempstead?

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 5:03 pm
amother wrote:
Why are you moving from far rockaway? Do you want to switch your kids schools? That she be an important factor bcuz if you don't then it would most likely b in wood which is the same as far rock, or Hewlett which is almost like Woodmere area...

I am very happy with their schools, and inwood is at the top of our list, but there is nothing there for us right now, which is why we are considering other places. we are moving from far rockaway because of a few reasons including 1. there is nothing holding us here in terms of family or a rebbi/rav (my rav is in lakewood, and we will continue using him no matter where we go) 2. the cheapest things available here right now (unattached) are over $600,000, but you are only getting 3 (maybe 4) bedrooms and very little yard space, with not much room for addition without taking away from the yard.

OheivYisrael

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 6:50 am
Ok, as someone who was in a similar situation, I just want to add here that if you want to keep the same schools for your kids, you have to consider that anywhere else on Long Island will mean a commute for them (granted, they'll probably get bussing since it's Nassau). But they're still young, so something to keep in mind. Babysitting/playgroups may mean a lot of shlepping for you.

Aside from Hewlett, there is N. Woodmere (which sounds the most appropriate of the LI options) and West Hempstead... but remember that Nassau has VERY high property taxes too, which you should factor in when looking at house prices. Also, I know that there are some WH kids in TAG, but I'm not sure about Darchei and the other schools.

In NJ, bussing is different by each area, and I'm not sure about the status of services, but it does not come close to the EI in NYC. In terms of bussing, I know that Teaneck and Elizabeth have bussing, but Bergenfield, Passaic, etc. have nothing- carpools are the method of survival. I don't think you'd find schools like the FR ones anywhere in northern or central NJ aside from Passaic, though.
Again, most of NJ has very high property tax, so keep that in mind when comparing prices to those of FR (NYC property taxes are way lower).

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 7:09 am
can anyone tell me about hewlette? obviously if we go there my kids would stay in the same schools and I know about the shopping and stuff, but what about housing? taxes/cost/lot or house size? also what shuls are there?

from the people we know who are moving to north woodmere, I think it is too modern for us.

Beingreal

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 7:27 am
I lived in Passaic most of my life and my husband and I settle here after we got married. It's a warm community with a diversity of people; meaning there are baalei teshuva, yeshivish, modern and all types. Everyone is welcoming here (at least I think so!) and the schools here are amazing. My son who will be 14 months will be getting physical therapy in a few weeks. In order to get services here, your son would need to be weak in more than one area. You can PM me for any more questions...

amother

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 7:28 am
From what I can tell, hewlett is more modern than north woodmere. There may be some yeshivish people there, but overall it has a modern feel.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 7:37 am
West Hempstead?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 7:39 am
amother wrote:
West Hempstead?

if we are going to stay here, I think west hempstead is too far out- my kids are still little, and they would have to be bused to school....

OheivYisrael

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 8:05 am
Ok, again, if N Woodmere is too modern, then Hewlett and WH will be too... looked into most of these places myself at one point. A lot of young ppl from FR and the 5 towns are looking into N Woodmere.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating