Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
9 year DD has cramps - could it be her period?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 8:12 pm
Last month (on Chanukah) my 9 yr old DD complained of cramps for a couple of nights. Today she started complaining about cramps again.
I didn't get my period until I was 12 and I seem to recall that my breasts started to develop earlier, so I'm not sure what's normal.

Is it normal to just have cramps and no bleeding?
Is there something else that could be causing the cramps?
Which signs of puberty come first?
And should I tell her everything she needs to know, just in case?

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 8:28 pm
I got my period when I was 9. It was the year before we got "the talk" in school, and it never occurred to my mother to discuss it with me that early. I was traumatized! I thought something was seriously wrong with me. Of course, it was on shabbos and we were on vacation, so my mother couldn't even run out to the drugstore for me.

Please, please talk to your daughter. It's better to have that conversation a little too early than a little too late.

Perhaps you should also take your dd to a doctor just to make sure everything is ok.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 8:32 pm
I'll answer your last question first. yes, you absolutely should talk to your daughter about everything asap.

yes, it could be her period. I don't know how normal it is to have cramps and no bleeding, though. talk to her pediatrician about all this. if it's not that, it could be something else (uti comes to mind), so definitely check it out.

paprika

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 8:40 pm
Pubic hair comes before menstruation. Like mummiedearest said, I don't think menstrual cramps come without menstruation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children