Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is anyone a Play Therapist?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 5:23 pm
Hi, if anyone works as a play therapist, I am looking for info about this field. All the relevant details, like schooling - how long, how much it costs, and salary, demand for this field.... I live in Brooklyn. Also, I already have a masters in special ed / regular ed. Does that make a difference in the coursework? TIA.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 06 2013, 5:33 pm
I would also love to be a play therapist. I also have my masters in special ed. SEIT is similar to play therapy,no?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 3:24 pm
I'm not sure what you mean. They have some similarities, I guess.... Anyone?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 4:02 pm
From my understanding it is part of the social work/psychology field

amother

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 4:53 pm
hi. I am a social worker who does play therapy. try this website: therapywithatwist.com wendy is a social worker who works out of the bronx. I heard her speak and she is very good. she has on her site info on how to become a registered play therapist if you are interested. good luck.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 07 2013, 5:06 pm
thanks for responding. I don't see much info on that site. Can you share some basic info? Do you work privately or for board of ed? How much does board of ed pay? Is it in demand these days?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 08 2013, 7:18 am
bump

mommy#1

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 6:37 pm
are you talking about floortime? if you are, I may be able to direct you to someone in Lakewood who may or may not talk to you over the phone

amother

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 6:40 pm
You need to become a social worker

amother

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 7:14 pm
Play therapy is an area of specialty beyond the masters. It is often employed by Psychotherapists (social work or psychology).
I don't know how you could utilize it as a special educator.
You might be able to apply some of your credits towards a masters in social work or psyc.
Unless you work in private practice, the salary of a play therapist remains the same as any employed therapist on staff.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 7:17 pm
amother wrote:
Play therapy is an area of specialty beyond the masters. It is often employed by Psychotherapists (social work or psychology).
I don't know how you could utilize it as a special educator.
You might be able to apply some of your credits towards a masters in social work or psyc.
Unless you work in private practice, the salary of a play therapist remains the same as any employed therapist on staff.
do you mean the same as any social worker working for the board of ed? I get that, im asking what their salary is.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 10 2013, 4:10 am
The dept of Ed does not have a position for "play therapist", per say. The position would fall under the responsibilities of a guidance counselor/social worker employed by the dept of Ed. Whatever measures the therapist chooses to use to use are left to his/her discretion.
Pay might be higher than the dept of ed if employed as a therapist by a private agency, but the salary level is left to that agency to decide.
What makes play therapy enticing is if you enjoy working with kids, it's can be more effective than talk therapy for some issues. Also, because it is an area of specialty, though you might meet some who sought out training in this area, you probably will not find many, which would make you more of a commodity when seeking work with youth.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 10 2013, 4:11 am
I don't know the salary level for social workers employed by the Dept of Ed.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jan 10 2013, 4:14 am
Why is everyone anonymous on this thread? Is it somehow a shameful or private thing? Wouldn't it be more helpful to be able to pm each other after the initial posts?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics