Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How often do you grocery shop?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 7:09 am
At the moment, I do one big supermarket shop a week and go almost everyday to the kosher store. I find that I always forget things or suddenly run out of something. My kids are very fussy eaters so I need to get specific things. Is it normal to keep going to the store to get things for the kids, or to wait until the next shopping day?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 7:13 am
Once a week.

I create a menu and a shopping list based on that plus necessary staples, and if I don't have something, I make do by making something else (extremely occasionally I borrow from a neighbor)

My kids can survive on PB&J and cereal if they don't like my suppers.

sky

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 7:19 am
1 trip a week to the Kosher supermarket for my main shopping
1 trip a week to Shoprite for sale items and items that are too expensive at the kosher store
one a month - Costco

Normally I can survive without anything that I forget.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 7:23 am
I go once a week to my local (kosher) supermarket (in Israel). Usually I need to supplement with a very few items at some point during the week - things that my kids require because for the, they are staples, and we ran low.

What I did to be organized was to create a master list, that I print out. I check off what I need every week before I go shopping. The list goes according to the aisles in my supermarket. It contains whatever we might possibly buy - although we don't need everything every week.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 7:29 am
OP here. Hashem Yaazor, I feel so mean when I tell them to make something themselves if they dont like it. I feel like I should make what each one likes. I wish I could be firm about it. Maybe it woyld help the fussy eating, though I doubt it. Are you not worried about the kids being hungry?

I like the idea about a master list, I think I'll do that if I can find the time. The thing is, I first have to menu plan for the week. Thats hard. Any tips on how to do that?

bbmom

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 7:30 am
I make a menu plus look through my fridge/pantry to see if I'm low on staples and then I shop once a week at a regular supermarket. The kosher store is over 30 minutes away and I only go every two weeks mostly for milk.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 7:34 am
To menu plan, I sat down with my kids and asked what they were actually willing to eat. Then I made sure that meals contained all the food groups I wanted.

Making the menu plan and creating the master shopping list took about a month. That was years ago. it was worth it!

One thing I do is allow my kids treats they like one specific time during the week. For example, on Tuesdays they each get one ice cream, which I buy in advance. This way they don't beg all the time. No way would they eat an ice cream without permission on a day other than Tuesday.

sbs

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 7:36 am
I make a menu for the week on sunday with my kids and we keep it posted on the fridge so they know what's going to be for supper each night and they are involved in the decision making process
this also makes them more likely to eat what I serve, it doesn't turn into a power struggle cuz they were part of the choice

as for shopping, I go once a week, usually on Wednesdays to the kosher grocery store, sometimes I need to pick up something specific on friday for shabbos and very infrequently I go again on sunday to get some missing items, but generally once a week
I keep a very stocked house, my freezer always has chicken, cutlets, chopped meat, fish (I buy a lot when on sale) along with a variety of cooked items
as for cabinet items, whenever I'm running low on something (bread crumbs, soy sauce, flour, etc...) I put it on my shopping list posted on the fridge so I get more at the next shopping trip.
this ensures I never run out of something completely
I can't do these little trips on a daily basis due to work and childrens schedule so I must be organized about it

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 7:41 am
I go three times a week for fresh produce to a non-kosher store. If I find something looks really good and I decide maybe to make fresh fish or a meat I don't have at home, then I will go to a Kosher store. My husband does a big Shabbos shop on Thursday and stocks up on what I need for the week. He also shops Motzi Shabbos at Pathmark to take advantage of sale items.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 7:44 am
amother wrote:
OP here. Hashem Yaazor, I feel so mean when I tell them to make something themselves if they dont like it. I feel like I should make what each one likes. I wish I could be firm about it. Maybe it woyld help the fussy eating, though I doubt it. Are you not worried about the kids being hungry?

How is it mean? They love eating a sandwich. I can't run a restaurant, as all my kids have different food preferences. I do try my best to make supper that is widely liked or with dishes that each will like one of, but it doesn't always work out that neatly. My fleishig hating son stopped eating spaghetti/rice that I made on the side. So he eats a couple sandwiches and is full from it. Whole wheat bread, peanut butter -- protein, fiber, not all that bad. Otherwise, I could never win and I'd always be at the mercy of my kids' whims. They change daily, even if I went shopping every day, I wouldn't necessarily have what they decided they wanted that night for supper Smile

I also involve my kids in the menu planning. My milchig loving son will pick a milchig meal, my fleishig loving son a fleishig meal. I will have one kid decide on the kugel for shabbos, another a cooked vegetable, another dessert....they usually end up with something they like at some point during the week Wink

(Also my kids are big snackers. I'll put out a plate of cut up vegetables and they'll munch away at it during supper, so even if it's not the cooked food, it helps fill them up.)

And lunches I do cater to each kid, they can pick what they want within reason of what we have available. I have a list on my fridge, and my oldest is in charge of his lunch: the list helps him remember various options.

ray family

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 8:03 am
once a week my husband does a big shop. I'll usually need to go to the makolet one other time during the week to pick up some more milk and cucumbers. sometimes I'll be in the mood to bake something and realize that I"m low on x so I'll also go to pick it up.
I make my husband a shopping list but it's hard because I can't think of everthing that the supermarket carries. I like to pick up "extras" every once in a while- not necessities but little treats- a can of hearts of palm or hazelnuts or whatnot- things I don't normally buy but if my bill is low for that week then they're things I like to have at home. my husband doesn't know what sort of extra's I like/want so he doesn't think to buy them

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 8:05 am
I do one big grocery order once a week for shabbos and have the whole week in mind.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 8:34 am
Generally, once a week. I BH don't seem to run out of things, as I immediately mark down when I'm running low on something and buy it before I run out of it. If I know I'll be in the area of a supermarket that is carrying a deal, or has specialty items we like, I'll stop in. But my basic rule is one shop/week. BH in Israel it's doable since you can get kosher everything in one place.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 9:13 am
Once a week kosher shop, plus vegetables and household goods. Sometimes I order those online from another supermarket instead of shlepping a million bags.

once or twice a week I go to local supermarkets for fresh produce.

nyer1

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 9:19 am
1x a week unless we realize that I want to make something that requires an ingredient or two that idon't have, or if we run out of milk / yogurt / eggs. but the general large shop gets done on wednesdays so that I can cook for shabbos on thursday

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 9:29 am
I go to a kosher supermarket twice a week - usually Tuesday and Thursday. Occasionally I go to a regular supermarket, Target, or Costco.

I have one of those pads with a magnetic strip on the back on my fridge. Whenever I'm running low on an ingredient, I add it to the list. That way I always have what I need at hand.

zigi

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 9:42 am
ideally once a week a larger shopping trip. then the local supermarket for sale items. they have cereal and juice on sale. I might buy veggies from them or the local produce store. otherwise I by from the frum produce store. on the way home I stop in on thursdays to buy challah and more snacks for school.

Beach Bum

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 9:44 am
I probably go every other day to the kosher stores. I have a tiny freezer, which is mostly full of chicken cutlets/meat when it was on sale. I also would prefer to buy fresh produce as I need it, because otherwise I find that I end up throwing a lot out when I buy in advance. I don't plan my suppers in the begining if the week...I make what I am in the mood of that day, so a lot of times I need to buy extra ingredients. I go to shop-rite, target, pathmark...when they have good sales and stock up.

chani8

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 10:03 am
You're motivating me to get organized again. I used to have a two week menu plan. Then I would only need one big shopping spree every other week. Of course, milk and bread and veggies required mid-week stops at the makolet.

I just can't imagine being that organized again, though. It's the teenagers. They just grab food and eat whatever they see, whenever they feel like it. I don't even bother trying to plan anything anymore.

How do you manage being organized with teens around????

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 10:05 am
I don't have teens, but do they eat raw staples they make themselves or lots of snack foods?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics