Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Baby gift for SIL, something not for baby!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 4:08 pm
My SIL had her 2nd baby after 4 long years of TTC. She went through much hardship throughout these years as everyone kept on commenting that she's being selfish by not wanting another baby. How dumb people can be by judging others without knowing the truth....

Now bh after these long years she finally has another baby and I'd like to get her something personal for herself. She has more than enough for the baby, and she can definitely use a a present for herself. Theres nothing specfific that shes into. Any ideas? I'm willing to spend.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 4:42 pm
How about some nice creams and bath stuff? Just make sure she doesn't need all hypoallergenic stuff.

Do you live nearby? What she probably could use most is someone to deliver meals or watch the baby for half an hour so she can shower.

racz

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 4:45 pm
What about a gift certificate for a massage, spa something should wouldn't normally do
Makeover and make up

Also what about a gift certificate for a photo shoot for a family picture?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 4:49 pm
If you're spending a lot, I think a gift certificate is the best way to go. I dislike when people spend a lot on gifts for me, without asking for my input, and get me something that I don't particularly care for.

A gift certificate from Amazon, Zappos, Nordstroms, would probably be appreciated by virtually any woman!

ez-pass

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 4:51 pm
a nice perfume
some new books that she didnt read yet
a subscription to one of the magazines
some nice bath stuff.
gift certificate for massage or mani/pedi
a gift certificate to a nice restaurant and a babysitter for the night.
a gift certificate for a photo session for the family

amother

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 4:55 pm
I recently started a thread on this subject

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....01991

cs1

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 5:03 pm
Im very into gifts but I like to make sure the recipient is equally excited to receive it.
I usually tell my (sisters only) that I have $200 now and I want to buy them a special "mommy gift." I will either choose to buy it for them or give them the cash and make sure it doesnt go to their grocery bill Wink
For friends, I usually spend about $20 and will buy between 3 products (pushka, siddur or some baby outfits) but...I always put in the gift receipt and write on their card that they shouldnt feel bad to exchange the item.
Another occasion, I made a really cute certificate:
"Xxx has been awarded a
$50 gift certificate to the store of your choice."
The certificate was the size of a dollar bill and I stuck the 50 to the other side and wrapped it well. It was very cute.

Bear in mind that you dont have to give your sister the gift right now, you could wait a few days for her head to clear and so she can think ehat she wants.

Mazal tov!
I had my first after 3.5 years so I understand the simcha

amother

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 7:35 pm
Op here.

thanks for all the ideas. She has a nanny every day for a few hours so she doesn't need any "time off" because that's what she has the every day.
Portrait session she doesn't need because she goes every now and then to an expensive studio to take pictures.
Body lotions and soaps she wouldn't use simply because she doesn't enjoy sitting in the bath. She takes a shower with a shampoo and the most convenient body wash and she's done.

I think the only thing that's left to get her is a gift certificate for a massage/day at the spa.
So now, where is the best place for a massage?

cs1

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 7:01 am
There is a chain store called massage envy that offers first time users a $50 massage, the rest are about $100.

cfriedman2

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 8:18 am
how about a nice diaper bag. if the one she had from her 1st is a few years old she would prob want something new. That way its a present for her but also releated to the baby

smss

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 9:01 am
op, just make sure she likes massages.
I would LOVE it if someone gave me a gift certificate for a massage, but some people hate them.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 9:27 am
Op here.

A diaper bag would've been a nice idea but she bought herself an expensive bag matching to her carriage.

About a massage, Mani/pedi she goes for regularly so I don't think she would mind getting it done without paying for it. I don't think she ever had a massage done for several reasons. I hope she'll enjoy it. What else can I get her at a spa?

mpk

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 12:25 pm
If not a massage, how about a facial?

happybeingamom

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 12:58 pm
I like a nice robe to hang around the house after I give birth until I am ready to get dressed. Even better a nightgown and matching robe.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 4:06 pm
Op here.

happybeingamom, thanks for ur suggestion. It would've been a marvelous idea but when she got married, part of her wardrobe was about 7 sets of matching nightgowns and robes. Every color, fabric and style.

To the poster that suggested a facial. Would u be appreciative if u would get a gift certificate for a facial? I keep on going back to that but I can't decide if its appropriate. On one hand its a nice idea, on the other hand, doesn't it boldly say "go take care of ur face cuz its in bad shape"?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 4:20 pm
I would do a gc to a day spa and make it enough to pay for a massage or facial or both. Then she can choose what she would prefer.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 4:22 pm
You can also include a brochure that lists the different treatments they offer.

OheivYisrael

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 5:01 pm
How about a subscription to a magazine that she likes? Or a good book?

Jewelry- either a gift certificate to a jewelry store or something with a gift receipt.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 5:49 pm
Op here.

My SIL doesn't have much time to read, so a subscription would be a waste of money. Jewelry is a beautiful present but she's very not into jewelry. She has her weekday set of jewelry and her diamond set, and that's it.

I think I'll do the spa gift certificate. Any advice for a really good place?

forever21

Post Wed, Jan 30 2013, 6:04 am
Sounds like your SIL has money which makes it harder to find a gift for her. If money isnt an issue for her then I guess she'd appreciate the sentiment more than an expensive gift.
How about getting a pic of her and her husband or the family and make it into a nice big canvas that she can hang on her wall?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics