Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Need Ideas - BBQ Theme for Mishloach Manos

NJmom

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 5:04 pm
I found these really cute red and white checked paper trays for very cheap and I thought I would do a BBQ theme. I would like to stay inexpensive but cute. I can put in a can of soda and chips but what can I do for the main item. Are there kosher candy hamburgers or hotdogs that aren't a fortune? Is there a cookie cutter to make them? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 5:09 pm
These are cute: http://media-cache-ec4.pintere.....f.jpg

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 5:13 pm
A hot dog and a bun is inexpensive.
Add a tiny 2 oz container of sourkraut, ketchup, mustard and soda.
Most people enjoy this.
Someone I know did something a little more elaborate than this but basic idea, they built a street vender carry, dressed up as venders, and everybody wanted one, and the hot figs were eaten as soon as they were delivered.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Jan 29 2013, 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

NJmom

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 5:13 pm
Those are adorable. I wish there was a recipe!

jaysmom

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 5:15 pm
We got a hot dog and bun one year. It was a great lunch for someone in the family. A lot easier than a decorative treat and more likely to get eaten IMHO

wfm

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 5:18 pm
Burger cake pops http://m.bakerella.com/burgers-and-bees

Burger cupcakes
http://m.bakerella.com/fast-food-fun/

shanie5

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 10:21 pm
NJmom wrote:
Those are adorable. I wish there was a recipe!

I have a recipe for a b-b-q cake, cookies in the shapes of hot dogs in buns, burgers, buns, tomato, eggplant, zucchini, red onion.......

I just did a search for it, it did not show up. I still have the magazine-good housekeeping, august 1998.

Here is the recipe for the hot dogs:

They call for packaged refrigerated sugar cookie dough. I made my own. I think I used this recipe for it:

1/2 cup sugar
2 sticks margarine
1 egg
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder

cream sugar and marg, add egg, add rest, mix well.

For hot dogs:Take 3 tblsps cookie dough. divide into 6 pieces. roll each into a 2" log (for the bun). Press a drinking straw lengthwise into bun to form a trench for the hot dog. Place on cookie sheet.

Take 1 tblsp dough. add red and brown food coloring and knead until color of hot dogs. (start with a little of each color and add as needed). divide into 6 pieces. roll each into 6' logs. place in trench of buns. bake at 350 8-11 minutes until done. (says cookies should be firm to touch and pale golden underneath.

Pipe thin squiggly line of yellow icing or gel for mustard.

The cookie recipe obviously makes a lot more than 6 hot dogs!

Here are a couple of pictures and recipes I did find-similar to the one I posted:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Rec.....okies

http://www.food.com/recipe/Hot.....16121

bananasplit

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 10:44 pm
You can make mini hot dog and mini hamburgers with a pickle or small container of cole slaw or potato salad.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 11:14 pm
Mini franks in blanks...cute and yum!

Simple1

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 11:34 pm
Someone sent me such a theme - they made hamburger cookies - probably similar to what Shani posted - but shaped like a hamburger with a chocolate layer of cookie in between two vanilla layers.

You can also put snack fries, or potato sticks, or ketchup flavored snacks. And a matching checkered napkin.

NJmom

Post Wed, Jan 30 2013, 11:06 am
I like the idea of franks and blanks but don't want to have to deal with having to make them in the morning and worrying about leaving them for people and it spoiling. Thanks for the great cookie ideas. Do you think I can make them in advance and freeze them?

Also, does anyone have a cute poem that they have used for this theme before? thanks so much for all your help!

ny21

Post Wed, Jan 30 2013, 2:02 pm
Bbq potatoes chips

shanie5

Post Wed, Jan 30 2013, 9:37 pm
NJmom wrote:
I like the idea of franks and blanks but don't want to have to deal with having to make them in the morning and worrying about leaving them for people and it spoiling. Thanks for the great cookie ideas. Do you think I can make them in advance and freeze them?

Also, does anyone have a cute poem that they have used for this theme before? thanks so much for all your help!

You can definitely freeze the cookies.

bananasplit

Post Wed, Jan 30 2013, 10:36 pm
You can make the franks n blanks in advance and freeze them.

bobeli

Post Wed, Jan 30 2013, 10:56 pm
I know you found the containers but...this are nice and inexpensive

imasinger

Post Wed, Jan 30 2013, 11:11 pm
Someone gave us something with this theme once. I remember they had a poem about the "megrilla"

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 11:53 am
FYI, if you have anybody that can get you some stuff from Brooklyn, Goldbergs has the most adorable hot dog and burger candies, 2/$1
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics