Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Rice halwa for Purim???

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 9:32 pm
Does anyone have rice halwa recipe for purim?

I'm teaming up with another lady to do an Indian-Persian open house seuda.
So far, the tentative menu would be

- onion bhaji, pakora
- chicken curry, vegetarian curry
- coco sabji, meatballs
- pilov rice
- salads, pickles
- fruits

As much as I love rice flour biscuits, it would take too much time to bake for a large crowd.
Does anyone have other special foods?

devo1982

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 9:58 pm
Would sooji halwa made with vegan butter instead of ghee work?

I found this recipe online, and it seems like it would be good (but I don't want to vouch for it, as I always make my sooji with ghee). It's as close to my recipe as you can get, though, and I've always had good results. If you weren't serving meat, I'd suggest kheer as it's so easy to make by the gallon (literally, I've done it!), but sooji can be nice and warming and comforting.

Ingredients:
Sooji (Semolina) - 1cup
Sugar - 1cup
Water - 2cups (I used 1cup each of Rice Milk and Water)
Cardamom powder - 1tsp
Almonds - 2tbsp
Raisins - 2tbsp

Method:
Heat 1tbsp vegan "butter" (I used Earth Balance Soy free spreadable butter) and 1tsp oil in a a wide bottomed saute pan; add almonds and raisins and fry until lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
In the same pan, add 1tbsp vegan "butter" and saute sooji (semolina) until it is lightly browned.
Remove sooji into a bowl and add the sugar and mix well.
In the same pan, bring water (or a combination of water and milk) to a boil; slowly add in the sooji and sugar mixture and let cook on low flame until cooked through.
Add the cardamom powder and fried almonds & raisins. Remove from heat and serve.

Also, your menu sounds scrumptious! Smile

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 10:18 am
Thanks devo1982,

What semolina do you use, doesn't it have to be very fine, powder like?
Does your halwa turn solid, actually solid enough you can slice and cut into cubes? Or is it more liquidy that needs to be served in a bowl?

Nu, any other Persian imamothers?????

devo1982

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 6:18 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Thanks devo1982,

What semolina do you use, doesn't it have to be very fine, powder like?
Does your halwa turn solid, actually solid enough you can slice and cut into cubes? Or is it more liquidy that needs to be served in a bowl?

Nu, any other Persian imamothers?????

Mine comes out solid - I imagine you could slice it into cubes if you wanted, but definitely solid enough to scoop with a spoon into the bowl, and it could be molded into ball shapes, if cubes didn't work (this image should give you a good sense of the texture/firmness: http://chefinyou.com/2011/01/s.....alwa/)

It's actually fine grains - it's not flour-fine semolina, but it's not as coarse as North African couscous, if that makes sense. You're looking for "coarse' semolina flour, which the internet tells me in English is known as farina? I hope that helps (I never know what Indian food items are called in English at the best of times, so Google to the rescue).

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Feb 07 2013, 5:50 am
Perfect, that is very helpful, thank you!
I think I'll make three batches, one with cardamon, one with rose water, one with saffran. Will let you know how it comes out. I should be able to get edible gold leaf to sprinkle on the top.

Avrahamamma

Post Thu, Feb 07 2013, 9:20 am
I wonder if Persian halva can be made with rice flour instead of wheat flour. Why wouldn't you make Persian halva? Its easy and what my family always made for Purim. Also to drink make apple faludeh. Grated apples rose water sugar and ice water. One if my faveee drinks for after fasting.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Feb 07 2013, 2:28 pm
Actually I am looking for the one with rice flour, not wheat flour.
Faloodah--don't you need that jelly noodley thingie? Anyway I think it'll be meaty meals so I'll save it for dairy occasion, and it's waaay too cold here.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Feb 07 2013, 3:08 pm
someone mentioned kheer, but that it needs to be pareve
I just made this recipe with soymilk nstaed of milk and it was really good
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/k.....0Page
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics