Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Son bored in Yeshiva gap year program, wants to volunteer

skcomputer

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 7:49 pm
My son is in an American program at a yeshiva. He is very bored in the long shiurim and beit medrash times. He's doing fine in the short classes on topics that interest him. He otherwise really likes being in Israel. He wants to come home for Pesach and stay home. He's going to be just as bored at home. I'd insist that he works and all of his friends are in Israel so I think he'd be lonely too. We are modern Orthodox and he will be attending college in the fall.

He is amenable to going back to Israel for 2 months after Pesach, but not to Yeshiva. Does anyone have recommendations for a volunteer opportunity that would provide housing and possibly meals? I am willing to pay for a program, but not a lot of money, since we paid for the entire year at yeshiva. He said he's interested in working with kids and not working in agriculture on a kibbutz. His Hebrew language skills are medicore. He said he might be interested in an Ulpan if he wouldn't be the only young person there. Any ideas for us?

BTW, we are still in the process of working with the yeshiva on making the experience better for him. The yeshiva staff is wonderful and helpful, but I'm not certain it is going to work.

b from nj

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 9:00 pm
I don't have any suggestions of volunteer options for your son but I do want to say that I feel for you.

My son just got accepted to the Yeshiva that he will most likely go to next year & I am hoping that he won't have a similar experience of being bored by the long shiurim & all of the beit midrash learning. That is really a fear of mine for my son but I do hope that you will find something suitable for your son.

Maybe you can contact MASA & ask them if there are any programs that would be appropriate for your son...

Hatzlacha & hope you find the right place!

Last edited by b from nj on Wed, Feb 06 2013, 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Peanut2

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 9:41 pm
There is ulpan with volunteer work at kibbutz sde eliyahu. I don't think you have to work in agriculture. There are kids on kibbutzim, and it may be worthwhile to call and ask them if this could be an option. It's geared towards young people and is a religious kibbutz.

Young Judaea has a year program with lots of volunteer work, but I don't know if they would let DS join so late in the year. They have a program for Orthodox kids called tochnit Shalem. You can try contacting them, if only for some ideas of other places.

Contacting MASA is an excellent idea.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Feb 07 2013, 2:17 am
http://www.livnot.org/

I know many people who have done this program, for short or long periods o time and really enjoyed it.

ruth

Post Thu, Feb 07 2013, 4:50 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
http://www.livnot.org/

I know many people who have done this program, for short or long periods o time and really enjoyed it.

is this dati?

british

Post Thu, Feb 07 2013, 5:11 pm
if your son is interested in having army experience, wthin an orthodox enviroment, there is a superb program called Garin Machal. They used to be run through Aish, but have gone out on their own. My son did it and it was a superv, fantastic, incredible experience. worth looking into.

Peanut2

Post Thu, Feb 07 2013, 7:30 pm
Livnot is a dati program, though geared towards people from all backgrounds, afaik.

Machal is volunteering in the IDF proper. I didn't know aish was doing it, but basically you can do machal through a yeshivat hesder. A lot of guys I know did it, almost all through Gush, but you can do it through other yeshivas as well. All the guys I know did it during a particular academic year. If that's how it works it won't help with this year.

It also means actually joining the IDF, so it should come from your son IMO.

skcomputer

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 9:20 am
Thank you for the great suggestions thus far. I've been tracking down the leads. Please keep ideas coming.
MASA requires a minimum of 4 months for the programs and he doesn't want to leave Yeshiva now. Also, the MASA programs that are not Yeshiva programs are not dati. Livnot sounds great, but I called and they don't offer housing. Sde Eliyhu is still on the table. He said he isn't interested in the Army, but is looking at the civilian volunteer program which runs Sundays-Thursdays.

Here's another option if this opens more ideas. He could stay in Raanana for 2 months after Pesach and would have easy access to all of the bus connections from Ahuza St. My relatives there aren't too well informed about what my work for my son, but if any imamothers have ideas that could be based from Raanana, that's an option too.

Thank you again!!

Tamiri

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 9:35 am
I would say keep him busy or bring him home. There is nothing to do for a kid who doesn't have a set schedule, and that is not a good thing.
Signed,
Mother of 5 boys. In Israel.

skcomputer

Post Fri, Feb 08 2013, 9:42 am
Tamiri wrote:
I would say keep him busy or bring him home. There is nothing to do for a kid who doesn't have a set schedule, and that is not a good thing.
Signed,
Mother of 5 boys. In Israel.

I agree completely. That's why we had already planned for him to come home for Pesach break. Almost 4 weeks with nothing to do?!?!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions