Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Restaurant for Shabbat meals in Jerusalem

sara_s

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 8:10 am
Does anyone know of a Kosher LeMehadrin restaurant that's open for Shabbos meals in Jerusalem?

(Obviously you would book and pay beforehand)

I tried Simchat Shabbat, but they don't do Shabbat meals anymore.

There are the hotels, but they are quite pricey. And we prefer not takeout.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 8:11 am
AFAIK there is no such thing in Israel, even regular kosher. I think the rabbanim here don't allow it.

Like you mentioned, your options are take out or hotels.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 8:29 am
Shalhevet, can you explain why? If you pay in advance, how is it different from a hotel serving meals? I saw a kosher restuarant open on Shabbos in chutz laaretz and thought it strange, but once the idea was expalined to me, I didn't find anything to say against the practice.

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 9:25 am
shalhevet wrote:
AFAIK there is no such thing in Israel, even regular kosher. I think the rabbanim here don't allow it.

Maybe they only allow it in more rural areas? Perhaos it is a ma'arat ayin issue?

When we vacationed in Amirim, a rural moshav in the Galil, we ate at Stupp's, a kosher l'mehadrin vegetarian restaurant on the grounds of the moshav. We pre-ordered and ate in their restaurant on Shabbat.

(By the way, I highly recommend this restaurant if you are even in the area.)

Tamiri

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 9:34 am
I don't think there is mar'it ayin involved. You can pre-pay for a meal at a hotel, so how does that differ from a restaurant.
In any event, OP, it probably makes better financial sense to buy ready-made EVEN if you have to buy a plata to use for one Shabbat, than to eat out (if you are more than 2 people).

sara_s

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 10:25 am
We will be in a hotel room, so nervous to bring a Plata into the room. It may set off fire alarms or fuse or something. We'd rather not deal with that.

Nobody knows of any restaurants? Or reasonable hotel meals?

(The Prima King is 220 NIS PP and the meat hashgacha we don't eat, the Leanardo Plaza is 200 USD PP for non hotel guests (!))

tizunabi

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 11:25 am
I think that it is just different from a hotel in as much as the hotels have the arab worker thing worked out in advance and are set up for it. Think about changing over your entire staff for only one day a week, it just isn't worth it.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 12:00 pm
sara_s wrote:
We will be in a hotel room, so nervous to bring a Plata into the room. It may set off fire alarms or fuse or something. We'd rather not deal with that.

Nobody knows of any restaurants? Or reasonable hotel meals?

(The Prima King is 220 NIS PP and the meat hashgacha we don't eat, the Leanardo Plaza is 200 USD PP for non hotel guests (!))

we've done it in a hotel. We ketp the plata on the floor, kept the do not disturb sign up all shabbat. if we were better prepared maybe we would have brought a timer.

smss

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 12:23 pm
I don't think a plata could set off a fire alarm. it's not like it causes smoke...
it's also a pretty simple appliance, so I personally wouldn't be worried about it blowing a fuse...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions