Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Ideas for filling glass bowls for MM

mom4many

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 12:37 pm
I bought very inexpensive glass bowls (yes much cheaper than disposable baskets & paper and much more useful).
I thought of filling them with a mousse or the like - for a Purim seuda dessert, but I want something a little more interesting than "just" chocolate mousse - maybe with a layer of chocolate cake inside & what else?

I'm open to more ideas - but NOT fruit/veg. that have to be prepared last minute. I also don't want it to look too simple like plain jello.

We're not limited to any theme...

TIA!

anotherima

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 12:49 pm
how big are the bowls?

r_ch

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 12:54 pm
A trifle perhaps?

curlgirl

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 12:54 pm
I did trifles one year and it was a big hit.

(Cake cubes mixed with chocolate sauce, layered with whipped cream, strawberries on top)

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 12:56 pm
why not do a salad trifle? I have seen some really pretty ones.

mom4many

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 5:23 pm
Thanks for the ideas so far!

1 recipe of mousse filled the bowl quite nicely - but it doesn't look like a large salad bowl, more like a medium bowl.

I like the idea of trifle - can you elaborate more? Curl, do you use a white cake? What's the choc sauce recipe? Also do you think kiwi can work instead of strawberry? (Some neighbors will be afraid of the bug issue) You put each layer twice?

curlgirl

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 2:22 am
Basically, I make chocolate cake, dice.

Make a chocolate sauce (don't have the recipe on me, I can try to get it).

Mix with cake cubes.

Whip Riches whip and add confectioners sugar to taste.

Put some cake cubes in bottom of bowl, then a layer of cream, then more cake cubes and another layer of cream. Maybe some grated chocolate on top?

I can get you the exact sauce recipe, let me know.

ray family

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 2:28 am
I can't bring myself to make a trifle bec. of the rich's +cake and everything else in it BUT I once had a really yummy one at s/o else's house. she did brownies, a layer of rich, a layer of crushed cookies a layer of peanut butter flavored rich- repeat. sprinkle cookie crumbs on top. it was very rich and very good.

pobody's nerfect

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 6:56 am
you can also put in canned fruit pie filling instead of fresh fruit. very easy!

mom4many

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 7:09 am
I LOVE your ideas! You know with the thread about food poisoning, I was having second thoughts about a mousse anyway.

I haven't figured it out yet, as you can tell by my questions...

Curlgirl - the chocolate sauce was a sticky type, or the type made with real choc that hardens? I probably could find a similar recipe if I know what I'm looking for.

Ray fam - what type of cookies would you say - choc chip? Then I can make pans of bars instead of individual cookies. And the peanut butter flavored rich is just rich + peanut butter? Any clue to proportions?

Pobody - I was just thinking on my own of using cherry pie filling for color if I use Curl's idea. Is that like what you meant?

I really really appreciate your suggestions! What would I do without you?!

curlgirl

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 8:00 am
I don't have the meaurements on me, but it's basically melting chocolate, margarine and coffeerich together and then adding confectioners sugar. It's from one of the Lubavitch cookbooks.

Not healthy at all, I know, but these are the desserts I grew up with so I make them anyway :-)

nameless

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 8:21 am
If you're into the trifle idea you can do cut up fruit trifle layered apple, kiwi, oranges, strawberries, blueberries. Or dried fruit and nuts you can still get a bunch of colors in like nuts, raisins, dried apricots, dried pineapple and some more nuts.

Barbara

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 10:07 am
ray family wrote:
I can't bring myself to make a trifle bec. of the rich's +cake and everything else in it BUT I once had a really yummy one at s/o else's house. she did brownies, a layer of rich, a layer of crushed cookies a layer of peanut butter flavored rich- repeat. sprinkle cookie crumbs on top. it was very rich and very good.

Pun intended? (I thought it was very funny, even if no one else did.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics