Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Registration for school in rbs
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 10:57 am
By when do you have to register for schools like magen avot and darchei noam (boys.). We don't yet know when we will be making aliya but hope to this summer.

fiddle

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 11:14 am
probably nowish

amother

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 11:28 am
Op: until when can I register. We don't know our plans yet

5*Mom

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 11:44 am
You may already have missed registration for some of the schools. I'd contact the ones you're interested in asap.

m in Israel

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 12:07 pm
I would contact the schools now. It doesn't cost anything to register, so you are better off reserving your spot even if you are not completely sure of your plans. Most of the elementary schools had registration in Kislev and Teves, so you are already on the late side.

We registered our kids around Dec. time of the year before our Aliyah in 3 different schools as we were still not sure which one we preferred. As soon as we decided, we called the ones we weren't sending to and told them we no longer needed the spot.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 12:29 pm
Op: is there a problem with the schools filling up?

chanainisrael

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 6:41 pm
From my understanding...the classes are large (typically 30 students).. It would be in your best interest to register now and not to wait. Which schools are you interested in? Perhaps Miriam Naiman from NBN could help you.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 2:25 pm
OP: Thanks so much for all your help. As of now, I believe that we are choosing between Rpaport, Magen Avot and Darchei Noam. I have read the threads about all these schools and have gotten quite a bit of information. I think that we are leaning towards the Magen Avot and Darchei Noam options. However, my real concern with sending my sons to a chareidi/yeshivish school is what will happen once their hs years are over. While I do believe in kollel, I also believe that not every boy is meant to sit and learn. I feel that it just does not work for everyone. Do the American Charedi schools recognize this and provide other options for these boys to get some sort of higher degree and have a good way to support a family? How common is this? A relative of mine knows someone who sends her son to a hs that only teaches Torah studies. However, she said that after that, her son could enroll in a one yr program and get his bagrut. How common is this specifically amongst Anglos?

shalhevet

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 3:01 pm
There are programs now so that if someone in yeshiva/ kollel wants to go on to a degree at some later point, they can do so easily. For example:
http://mivchar.org.il/index.asp

Aside from that, many chareidi men support their families with jobs which don't require secular higher education - as a rebbe, ram in a yeshiva, sofrus, opening a business or store etc.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 3:34 pm
Op: how accepted are these programs? Would my sons have many peers who might take advantage of them?

merelyme

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 3:34 pm
amother wrote:
OP: Thanks so much for all your help. As of now, I believe that we are choosing between Rpaport, Magen Avot and Darchei Noam. I have read the threads about all these schools and have gotten quite a bit of information. I think that we are leaning towards the Magen Avot and Darchei Noam options. However, my real concern with sending my sons to a chareidi/yeshivish school is what will happen once their hs years are over. While I do believe in kollel, I also believe that not every boy is meant to sit and learn. I feel that it just does not work for everyone. Do the American Charedi schools recognize this and provide other options for these boys to get some sort of higher degree and have a good way to support a family? How common is this? A relative of mine knows someone who sends her son to a hs that only teaches Torah studies. However, she said that after that, her son could enroll in a one yr program and get his bagrut. How common is this specifically amongst Anglos?

He could also go to a yeshivah tichonit after eighth grade and do the bagruyot as part of the regular curriculum. Examples of those would be Maaravah (almost impossible to get into), the Yishuv, Nehora, Neharde'a, etc. There's also a new yeshivah in RBS that's chareidi and teaches the minimum secular studies necessary to complete the bagruyot.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 3:36 pm
Op: are these programs well accepted by the schools the yeshivish boys attend?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 3:43 pm
Op: is it at all accepted for boys to get some sort of higher degree?

shalhevet

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 4:00 pm
amother wrote:
Op: how accepted are these programs? Would my sons have many peers who might take advantage of them?

No, they are not very popular. Most boys learn in yeshiva and then kolel and then work in one of the areas I mentioned above, if they want to go out to work.

But I don't really see why that is important. The option is out there. Surely you want your son to do what he gets satisfaction doing? If he wants to be 'shivsi bevais Hashem kol yemei chayai' he has that option. If he wants to go into klei kodesh like a rebbe or a sofer (and here these things are a reasonable parnassa) he has that option. And if he decides to pursue secular studies or start a business or go into some other line of work, he can do that too. At the rate things are developing, IME there will be more programs and opportunities by the time your son is an adult.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 4:07 pm
Op: I only said that because kids that age are so influenced by their peers and might not want to do something that other people frown upon.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 3:38 pm
amother wrote:

Hi as someone living in RBS now I had to comment
you said you were thinking of Rpaport, OR Magen Avot
those schools are really diffrent Magent avot american as it is is a CHEDER and rapaport is not. they produce very diffrent hashkafic views and they have diffrent goals. you need to figure out where you fit in first
you said
. Do the American Charedi schools recognize this and provide other options for these boys to get some sort of higher degree and have a good way to support a family? there are very few american charedi schools at all. magent avot doesnt.
"she said that after that, her son could enroll in a one yr program and get his bagrut. How common is this specifically amongst Anglos?"
VERY not commom. and really you have to think about what you want.
do you want your boy who went to a yeshivish school to end up in an anti orthodox university in israel. as most are. if that is ok for you then the bagrut is for you.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 4:25 pm
Op: aren't there any programs like in the states where you can attend a program for x amount of time and come out with some degree like in accounting or even some technical skill?

m in Israel

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 5:34 pm
OP, you are mixing two stages -- what in the U.S. is elementary school vs. high school. Yes, Magen Avot considers themselves a Cheder -- but as an elementary school they have secular studies -- math, reading, writing, grammar (Hebrew obviously), science, some basic geography, etc. (My kids are in a significantly more right wing Cheder than Magen Avot and even they have these subjects.)

After elementary school is when you have this more extreme split. "Yeshiva Ketana"s, which are the Chareidi high schools generally do not have any secular studies. Some allow students to learn for the bagrut on their own, and some don't. But not all Magen Avot students go to yeshiva ketanas. Many go to "tichonim" (or "yeshiva tichonit"), which are high schools that DO have bagrut at part of the curriculum. (Merelyme gave some examples). Some of these places still consider themselves somewhat "chareidi" (although in the Israeli Chareidi world they are not viewed as a real part), but the students graduate with their bagrut. I happen to know for a fact that in this year's Magen Avot 8th grade over a quarter of the students are planning to attend one of these type of schools. A few go to Maarava (yes, hard to get into, and VERY academic), and many are going to the newish local one that everyone just calls "the tichon". So although it is not the majority of the class, it is a very significant minority.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 6:09 pm
amother wrote:
Op: aren't there any programs like in the states where you can attend a program for x amount of time and come out with some degree like in accounting or even some technical skill?

Yes, I gave a link above to one of these schools.

I should just clarify that I don't know if anyone goes to such places at 18 (you mentioned peer pressure) - they are aimed more at those who are already married and looking for a parnasa.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 9:18 pm
Op: I want to thank you all so much for your responses. It is so inspiring to see how people can really help a total stranger learn so much about such an important topic.
one more question: how does the army fit into all this. Do the men who work end up going into the army?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions