Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Cell phone abuse

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 11:21 am
Why are frum people so inconsiderate talking on their cell phones?

We went to a restaurant to celebrate a milestone. This one couple were screaming on their cell phones. They were conversing normally to each other, but when they got on the cell phone they were LOUD! At one point the husband went to the lobby to talk and the wife called him and was screaming for him to get back into the restaurant. This was an upscale restaurant.

I go to lectures and ladies receive cell phone calls during the lecture and proceed to have conversations. My husband tells me men take calls in shul. If their phone rings while they are dovening shemona esrei they wait until they are finished and then take the call despite the fact others are dovening.

I work out in the gym. Only frum ladies have the nerve to talk on their cell phone constantly while they work out. It is never the non-frum women. These ladies should realize they are violating the privacy of those they are speaking about as well as disturbing other women. One lady was talking about my niece who is in shidducum. I am livid. I am not intersted in anyone's private conversations and do my best to tune them out.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 11:26 am
I think some frum people have no sense of social etiquette

cm

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 11:35 am
One of the benefits of the txt revolution is that I rarely have to overhear other people's conversations anymore.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 11:41 am
cm wrote:
One of the benefits of the txt revolution is that I rarely have to overhear other people's conversations anymore.

How do we introduce the frum people to the "txt" revolution at least in public places?

All the examples I mentioned in my OP are from last week in Monsey and Lakewood.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 2:34 pm
Maybe the frum ppl hve a lot more kids and siblings to keep up with

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 2:46 pm
I don't know the answer but I've noticed too.

A while ago I was in a shiur and someone's phone started ringing (after the rabbi had asked everyone to turn off their phones at the start. Then the person answered it and proceeded to talk loudly while the rav tried to go on with the shiur! One person turned to her ans said "maybe you could go outside with that?" and she totally blanked him. Then the rabbi stopped talking and addressed the woman directly asking her to take the call outside. She said sorry but continued the call anyway.

That same week Iwas in a different shiur, there were only 4 us of in the shiur plus the rabbi and one girl obviously wasn't finding the shiur interesthing because she was playing a game on her cell phone. She didn't even turn the phone to silent!

Recently, I decided to go and daven mincha/ arvit in shul as my husband had been learning there immediately before. One guy's cellphone rang and he picked it up, ran into the women's section where I was davening and proceeded to talk LOUDLY. He knew I was there but even if noone had been there, it was still clearly audiblefrom the men's section.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette