Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking for good neighborhoods in Israel - Pref Near TA

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 1:47 pm
Hi,

DH and I have always wanted to move to Israel and we may have an opportunity to do so. Our only concern is we feel like we have no idea where we would fit in. We always saw ourselves living in Yerushaliyim but since our jobs are in Tel Aviv would prefer to be as close as possible we are now trying to figure out if there is a neighborhood in or near TA that would be good for us. We are modern american yeshivish. We both went to college and have graduate degrees...we are worldly. We dont have a TV but we do have internet. In new york we fit in nicely in the 5T/Far Rockaway area. Is there a community near tel aviv for people like us? Ideally we would love to be in the city, but I am not sure what kind of a community is there. We have friends in Ramat Aviv and Tel Aviv and family in Ramat Gan but they are very modern (and since making aliyah have become even more modern) so I am not sure what else is there, especially in terms of schools etc. We had always had RBS in the back of our minds, but we really want to avoid the commute. We also just like city life better.

If anyone has any thoughts or has knowledge of the neighborhoods it would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

I am also wondering if anyone has any knowledge of figuring out a budget. How much of your salary is taxed, I know its high but I am just trying to figure out what we have to work with. I am getting paid on an american salary but DH on an israeli salary.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 2:04 pm
what about Modiin Illit? There's Kiryat Sefer/Greenpark/naot hapisga.... (too much for you?),Modiin, Chashmonaim....

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:
what about Modiin Illit? There's Kiryat Sefer/Greenpark/naot hapisga.... (too much for you?),Modiin, Chashmonaim....
modiin is VERY modern, not for a yeshivish family, at all and chashmonaim may work, but is not a city, it is a yishuv and it is very expensive.

OP, I have no ideas for you really, but a question, how close to TA are you looking? a train ride? if so, I would suggest rbs.

boysrus

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 2:12 pm
maybe moshav matityahu would be a good option?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 2:13 pm
boysrus wrote:
that is an extremely charedi place. it does not sound like the OP is charedi.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 2:19 pm
Thanks for your help!!

We really wanted to be IN TA if possible....like in the city center, but I was not sure if that was possible. Other areas that I know of that are appealing geographically are ramat gan, ramat aviv, herzliya and petah tikvah. I just have know idea if there is something for us there. We are open minded but also dont want to feel uncomfortable and that we dont fit in/stick out like a sore thumb Smile

It may not be possible, but my knowledge is basically zero when it comes to neighborhoods in israel outside of yerushalayim, so I figured what better than to ask the lovely knowledgable ladies of imamother!!!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 2:30 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
boysrus wrote:

I definitely dont think of myself as charedi....especially by israeli standards! I went to more left wing bais yaakov in NY and DH wet to Ner Yisroel in baltimore (we both went to "real" colleges and graduate schools). Most of our friends who are in israel are in Ramat Eshkol and is probably where we would go if we moved to yerushalayim.

Ill check out the suggestions you gave. thanks so much!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
boysrus wrote:

I definitely dont think of myself as charedi....especially by israeli standards! I went to more left wing bais yaakov in NY and DH wet to Ner Yisroel in baltimore (we both went to "real" colleges and graduate schools). Most of our friends who are in israel are in Ramat Eshkol and is probably where we would go if we moved to yerushalayim.

Ill check out the suggestions you gave. thanks so much!
right, so I would really think about checking out rbs, I think it would be a perfect fit, it is only a 40 or 45 minute bus ride to tel aviv and I am sure many many people do it.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for your help!!

We really wanted to be IN TA if possible....like in the city center, but I was not sure if that was possible. Other areas that I know of that are appealing geographically are ramat gan, ramat aviv, herzliya and petah tikvah. I just have know idea if there is something for us there. We are open minded but also dont want to feel uncomfortable and that we dont fit in/stick out like a sore thumb Smile

It may not be possible, but my knowledge is basically zero when it comes to neighborhoods in israel outside of yerushalayim, so I figured what better than to ask the lovely knowledgable ladies of imamother!!!

Definitely Petach Tikva. It has a large % of frum people of all kinds of stripes and is less 'box-like' than many other places. I think there may be strong MO/ chardal areas (which may be what you are looking for) in Ramat Gan - I hope someone else can give you more info.

Also Rehovot has a train ride straight to TA and the frum community is similar to Petach Tikva.

There are some chareidim in TA, but I have a feeling mostly chassidim.

lkwdmommy

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 3:46 pm
I would think Petach Tikva too. Also, Ramat Gan, maybe. However, are you looking for an area with an Anglo community? I'm not sure that those two would work, then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating