Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Ever dye your own wig?

punchike

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 10:28 am
I'd love to save money, but will I ruin the wig? what dye should I use for a rich brown color? What company/ color? How is it done?

Thanks ladies!

granolamom

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 11:11 am
I did it very unsuccessfully.

punchike

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 11:20 am
What type of dye do you like? Can you share tips?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 11:50 pm
I am a sheitel stylist and colorist. I occasionally get frantic calls from customers who wanted to save money and dyed their sheitels themselves and were not happy with the results. They want to know if I can correct it. It is not always possible to correct the botched color job (depending on the type of sheitel), but if it is, it costs a lot more than it would have cost to just have it professionally done. In addition, fixing the color includes a chemical process than can damage the sheitel somewhat.

I just want to make sure you know what you are getting into.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 05 2024, 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 11:59 pm
I have done this successfully. I had a blond sheital and I finer combed brunette color through 95% of it so it looked like there were some subtle highlights. I have no special training and I used the same color as I did on my hair which is the one on sale that matches my shade. I also dyed a faded out sheital and the color revived the sheital and made it shinier. Previously it was straw-like.

I do dye my own hair under my shetal so I have some experience.

thanks

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 11:59 pm
What color is the sheitel now? My sheitel turned strawberry blonde. I tried to get it back to blonde - and it turned flaming bright reddish blondish. I ended up dying it black and giving it to a gemach.

I did this after dying a sheitel succelfully once.

mama247

Post Wed, Feb 20 2013, 12:17 am
I just did it very succesfully! I did it to a Michal that I had bought a few years ago and spent $300 on. This was either going to work or I was getting a new one. Not only do I love the color, but the hair is so much nicer now! I used John Frieda Precision Foam Hair Color in Natural Black. It matches my hair perfectly! I just followed the instructions exactly. I did it on an old sheitel head (which is now dyed black) so that I could do it the way they recommended. It did get very knotty so I had to be very careful brushing and still pulled out quite a bit of hair. But I'm so happy with it and so happy I don't have to buy a new one yet!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels