Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Made challah when mys son was home oy!

sourstix

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 8:40 pm
oy it was not a smart idea I was able to do it all day and I didnt I just kept aon pushing it off and then not thinking in advance and just trying to think my 4 year old would listen when I say dont touch or be careful your spilling the flour. I know what I should have done -made it when he wasnt home, because he loves to be involved in such things. what is it thats so exciting about challah?can someone tell or explain. I just dont get it. seriously, I just dont get it. then I had to get upset at him and frustrated and saying to him how many times do I have to tell you, dont touch? its such a bad feeling when your excited and when I said to him he could help but at a certain point I told him to stop touching. it was begining to get really messy with the flour. I just want a system that will work for me and him. because seriously is it that way that they are too young to bake with? I think its probably not the safest because they can put on the machine when I turn around for that split second and I dont wanto regret it. its just that I told my dh that I would be making challah today. he was nervous I wouldnt get to it or make it thursday when I get a cleaning lady and be all nervous and resentful because its too much to make challah while having a cleaning lady at least for me. to make a long story short its not the worst that I did it. I just think it would be smarter to make when he isnt home. I couldnt face my dh if he realized I didnt make challah. caus ei I dont work and kids in school and my dh loves loves loves loves my challah its an understatment. so yes I feel very good, but I feel such a pressure. I just dont enjoy making them I hate the mess of it. I like cooking more then baking because of the mess. thanx for reading and can I have some hints and tips to make the process go easier? please I really would appreciate it. the point isnt not to make it. I know some of you will say that.

granolamom

Post Tue, Feb 19 2013, 8:52 pm
I bake with my kids from very young ages and they are not easy quiet patient types. they love to touch and to be involved.
the key is organization and attitude.
first, I organize my space. so I move things that I dont want them touching, get all the ingredients set up with any utensils I will need so I do not need to turn around for a second. kids stand on chairs near the counter, if they do not listen I take them off the chair for a minute, then we 'start over' and remember to listen to mommy. we sing songs when the mixer is going and the little ones clap while we sing so I know their hands are busy and not headed into the mixer. I shut off the mixer every time we add ingredients and we take turns doing that.
yes it gets messy and that brings me to the second topic, attitude.
when you bake with small children its not efficient. but its chinuch, not baking. so it will take a long time but that's not the point. chinuch takes years and years whether you are baking or teaching how to make brachos or holding hands in the street. so the baking takes a back seat to your child's involvement and development. you can clean up nearly any type of physical mess, what is some flour on the floor? but emotional messes are another story.
my kids LOVE baking challah, its exciting because its special for shabbos. and here's a cute story...I always get them involved in the hafrasha and talk about it, etc. once I was in a rush before yom tov and I was ready to braid the dough, I took it out of the bowl and was about to start when my 4 yo pipes up 'what about the bracha?' I totally had forgotten to take challah!!! I was so happy I involve him because he was able to remind me.

now, if I'm in a rush or pressured, I do try to do it when my kids are not around because they get so sad when I tell them they can't help. if its not possible like your story, then I mentally go through my day and eliminate some other thing I planned to do. when I say to myself 'I'm not going to get to the dry cleaners today because I am baking challah with shloimy' I can relax a bit because I've just freed up enough time for the challah baking. its hard to get everything done all the time, probably impossible. you have to prioritize.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Feb 20 2013, 11:26 pm
ds loves baking challah so much that he doesn't let me put the challah on the tray.

What I do is put him in old clothes or pjs.
Give him his own piece of dough with some choc chips at the end of the table to do his own thing. It keeps him so entertained (eating ccs and challah dough!) that he lets me get on with my own things till the end!

Merrymom

Post Wed, Feb 20 2013, 11:53 pm
I never leave my flour lying out unattended. That's literally leaving candy for a baby and telling them not to touch, there's nothing more fun in the world to them. Once my dough is coming together then I let my kids help me punch it down since I do it by hand, and honestly every little bit helps make it come together faster. My real problem starts then however. From the moment I have a dough formed my kids won't stay away from the dough. I give them a small piece to eat ( I don't use eggs) or to play with but it's never enough. They will keep on sneaking back for more and yes it drives me crazy but I also find it very funny. So sometimes I just make a bigger dough or put up the bowl on top of the fridge where it's out of reach.

IMHopinion

Post Wed, Feb 20 2013, 11:57 pm
One thing I learned is not to bake challah when my kids are home.
Every mom has to do whatever works for her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics