Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
ISO a book for a 5 year old about adoption

amother

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 7:38 am
We are beginning to think about starting the process for adoption. I want my child to be able to understand it at their level.
Does anyone know of a children's book that either explains it or a story about an adoption for a 5 year old level?

grace413

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 8:50 am
Check out options here:

http://www.adoptivefamilies.co.....cat=3

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 3:44 am
Are you adopting a 5yo, or are you waiting until age 5 to discuss it? That makes a difference.

My daughter was adopted right from birth, and we discussed it with family while she was in the room. It was never whispered or treated as anything but fact, about as normal as 2+2=4. She figured it out on her own really quickly.

When she was 5 she asked me "Mama, I grew in M's tummy, right?" Yes. "And M gave me to you because you couldn't grow a baby, right?" Yes. "Wow, that sure was nice of her! - Can I have some ice cream?" LOL! Hardly traumatic. Very Happy

She grew up knowing that M loved her very much, and wanted her to be with a mommy who was really ready. Hashem sent the baby to M to grow, and then He sent the baby to me to raise. We're still close friends with M, and it's a wonderful situation for all of us.

Hatzlacha on your journey to parenthood! It's a wild ride, but worth every minute.

amother

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 7:42 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Are you adopting a 5yo, or are you waiting until age 5 to discuss it? That makes a difference.

My daughter was adopted right from birth, and we discussed it with family while she was in the room. It was never whispered or treated as anything but fact, about as normal as 2+2=4. She figured it out on her own really quickly.

When she was 5 she asked me "Mama, I grew in M's tummy, right?" Yes. "And M gave me to you because you couldn't grow a baby, right?" Yes. "Wow, that sure was nice of her! - Can I have some ice cream?" LOL! Hardly traumatic. Very Happy

She grew up knowing that M loved her very much, and wanted her to be with a mommy who was really ready. Hashem sent the baby to M to grow, and then He sent the baby to me to raise. We're still close friends with M, and it's a wonderful situation for all of us.

Hatzlacha on your journey to parenthood! It's a wild ride, but worth every minute.
Sorry I was not clear. We have one biological child but are now looking at adoption and my child will be 5 soon, so I wanted an age appropriate book for my child that is already in our lives, to explain about adoption to the child.

Barbara

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 9:43 am
amother wrote:
FranticFrummie wrote:

Sorry I was not clear. We have one biological child but are now looking at adoption and my child will be 5 soon, so I wanted an age appropriate book for my child that is already in our lives, to explain about adoption to the child.

Check out Jamie Lee Curtis' children's books. I don't know if any are what you are looking for, but she formed her family through adoption, and wrote children's books. Tell Me Again About the Night I was Born

http://www.amazon.com/Tell-Aga.....35814

is an adoptive famiy telling their child how wonderful it was when they were able to adopt her.

chani8

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 10:19 am
The Mulberry Bird, I believe, is a good one.

amother

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 4:33 pm
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:
FranticFrummie wrote:

Check out Jamie Lee Curtis' children's books. I don't know if any are what you are looking for, but she formed her family through adoption, and wrote children's books. Tell Me Again About the Night I was Born

http://www.amazon.com/Tell-Aga.....35814

is an adoptive famiy telling their child how wonderful it was when they were able to adopt her.
Again, I am not looking for a book for an adopted child but for my biological child to explain if and when we would adopt a child and what it all means for everyone.

amother

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 5:22 pm
http://www.creatingafamily.org......html

chani8

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 1:34 am
chani8 wrote:
The Mulberry Bird, I believe, is a good one.

Here is a review on this book:

Quote:
In this new edition of a classic in adoption literature, Mother Bird rises to meet the challenges of bringing up her baby bird against all odds and elements. When a storm scatters her nest, she is forced to think about how best to care for her precious baby bird, and faces the heart-breaking choice of either continuing to struggle on her own, or giving her baby to another family of birds, to look after him and care for him in their strong, secure nest. This beautifully illustrated book sensitively explores prevalent issues in the adoption debate, from the enduring force of a birth parent's love to the importance of nurturing an adoptive child in its new environment. "The Mulberry Bird" is an important and enduring tale of sacrifice, wisdom and love, and is ideal for reading aloud with young children in adoptive families, their siblings, in school and with support staff.

NickiDC

Post Mon, Jul 15 2013, 7:24 pm
Rebecca's Journey Home by Brynn Olenberg Sugarman, about parents of two bio boys who adopt a baby girl from Vietnam
Lucy's Feet, by Stephanie Stein, which tells the story of an adopted girl and her bio brother

Enjoy!

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jul 15 2013, 8:00 pm
There is a book store here in Detroit called the Self-Esteem shop and it has a website and a phone number so that you can speak to someone about the type of book that you are looking for. It has books for children and adults on all subjects pertaining to psychology.
You might also want to consider making your own book with your 5 yr old as the main character who is welcoming the new sibling who is coming to the family in a very special way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics