Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
To keep or not to keep?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 10:18 am
We applied for food stamps in june 2012, due to a horrible case worker we only got approved ths past week. Since it was the case workers fault for taking so long to take care of paperwork we got reimbursed for the 8 months we waited. (Think 450 x 8)
Here's the thing, when we applied we actually needed the $$ my husband just lost his job and I was pregnant and on bedrest. Now bh, things are better and we don't need the $$ and kind of feel like were cheating the system by keeping it...what would you do?

auntie_em

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 10:25 am
Normally I would say if you don't need it, you shouldn't have it. But in this case, it is meant to pay you back for all those months you WERE eligible and did not receive it.

It is a tricky situation but I would keep it, I think.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 10:39 am
Op here! I'm not one to ever cheat the system. We are both hard working and BH it pays off...My dh thinks weshould ask our Rav if he knows of someone that can benifit from the $$

morah

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 10:46 am
The state has already determined you were owed that money, so there is nothing wrong with taking it. If you feel uncomfortable using it for your benefit, then give it to tzedaka.

Liba

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 10:54 am
Legally you need to use it, not donate it. It is owed to you and yours. You can give it back, but you certainly aren't obligated to.

I would think that such a sum would help most families this time of year. Unless you have totally recovered from the time DH was out of work, have no credit card debt and a fully funded emergency fund, I think you should use it and save all of the money you would have spent on food. Pay off credit cards, make a savings account, but make sure you are okay if chv"sh such a situation happens again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics