Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
So confused... don't want another bad experience
1  2  Next

studying_torah

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 10:45 pm
I just had a horrible wig buying experience- the seller promised me a full yr guarantee but won't back up the wig now- even though its less than a yr and I wore it only 5-6 times; its stringy, greasy and just disgusting all around. I took it to so many professionals- they all say there is no hope.
So now, I'm out a wig and $1300; and I need something to wear.
I was told Miri is amazing- by my mother's shaitel macher; another person told me Rosemarie is great; ppl here in Lakewood like precuts by Chaya; and ppl here say Esther Aron. I'm a bit nervous to trust these shaitel machers, since they sell those brands and get commissions.
HELP!
I want a longer wig, dark brown, with body. Not very sleek bec. I look like a witch in that, but not full curls either. And I need s/o who will really stand behind her product if it starts out looking nice, but ends up w/ a problem.
What brand should I look for? (I'd prefer one that I can buy in Lakewood.)
Thanks!

theprocastinator

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 11:04 pm
The Rosemarie wigs are sleek.

cfriedman2

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 11:08 pm
Orna Lavine has a rep in Lakewood who backs her wigs for 2 years I believe! I've had my fall for almost 2 years now and bH never had any issues with it. My mom and sis also have from her and are very happy. Let me know if u want info on her Lakewood rep. Orna also does all the repairs for wigs in Balt so if ome thing is wrong shed be the one fixing it

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 11:25 pm
The MAIN reason that I went to Esther Aron was because I heard from so many people that she backs up her wigs.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 9:46 am
what kind of wigs does orna sell?
does esther aron sell wigs in lakewood or only in brooklyn?

cfriedman2

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 9:50 am
orna sells all kinds of wigs. Mine was a custom one. also her prices are pretty reasonable. I could not be happier with my wig

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 10:31 am
Miri wigs are amazing. They have body and hold the style - not too sleek at all. They also have a really nice selection of colors.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 05 2024, 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total

mimimom

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 3:52 pm
If it's greasy and you only wore it 5-6 times I'd suggest you get it washed and styled first and see what happens. Sounds to me like there's way too much spray/conditioner, etc on it.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 4:07 pm
thanks mimi- it was washed multiple times by a number of professionals. they used special processes to try to degrease it to no avail. There is a problem w/ the hair itself, nothing to do with conditioner or spray.

abby1776

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 4:56 pm
I have a fall made by Orna and its nice and wavy and has held up great.
That being said it is very THICK. I should probably have it thinned a bit.

I am currently wearing a Milano that I got over 5 years ago - I think I paid $900 its held up fine as well (although Orna did some maintenence on it 2 years ago - making the cap tighter, etc.)

I have had Sheitels also from Claire Accuehair that have held up very well too (on the more expensive side).

abby1776

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 4:57 pm
I think the thing that helped me find the Milano I have worn for the past 5 or so years, is that I went with a very experienced friend - not my mother or a sister, an older woman who is a good friend who has daughter my age but there was no mother daughter tension, she helped me try on different ones and we decided what looked good and how to have it cut.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 5:01 pm
thanks for all the suggestions!
where is orna located?
and abby- I wish I had s/o to come with me (my mother is even worse at wig buying than me)- wanna come along Wink

Miri1

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 5:10 pm
Any recommendations for the norther NJ / Monsey area?

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 5:14 pm
I bought 4 sheitlach by Shani Grossman in lakewood in the last 2 years, with great experiences, BH

abby1776

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 6:44 pm
Orna is in Baltimore
410-963-5614
6707 Chuckberry Road (its off of Smith if you know Baltimore)

Another good source in Baltimore is LA Style. The owner Stacey Spiegelman is very nice and knoweldgeable - she could fill that "friend roll" = there is no pressure to buy and she has many different types of various sheitels and brands in her salon.

I also recommend Stacey for cutting and styling.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 12:31 pm
Update: still confused:
Ok, so dh does not think I should travel to get a shaitel, so I'm stuck here in Lakewood- these are my 2 options that I have found:
1) a Rosemarie from a shaitel macher that I've never used, but comes well recommended; who says the wig should last 3 yrs.
or
2) A Rikki from a shaitel macher that I did buy from and was happy with, but tells me no one can guarantee what a wig will look like after a year- she will work w/ me, but no company can promise....
So who is being more honest and realistic about how long the wig lasts?
I have no experience w/ a Rikki nor a Rosemarie.
Any advice~!?

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 12:37 pm
http://www.voguewigs.com/

http://myaccount.voguewigs.com.....-wigs

http://myaccount.voguewigs.com.....-wigs

Read their comments sections. Measure your head.

theprocastinator

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 1:16 pm
I bought a Rikki wig a few months ago from Chana Hinda in Passaic.
So far I am very happy with it. I get lots of compliments. I looked at both Rosemarie and Rikkis. The Rikkis have more body than the Rosemarie.
The sheitel macher is right. Noone will guarantee a wig for more than a year.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 7:58 pm
Thanks, procrastinator!
So do you think the first shaitel macher is being more realistic?
The other one- selling the rosemarie doesn't guarantee it for 3 yrs, just says that is how long it should last.
What made you go with the Rikki? How is the hair- does it hold a style? Is it soft/coarse? Does it get greasy or knotty?
Thanks for any help!

studying_torah

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 8:14 pm
btw- procrastinator- how is the cap on the Rikki? Is it comfortable? Lightweight or heavier?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels