Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Because every woman deserves the look and feel of a Madam
Previous  1  2  3

sequoia

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 11:59 am
Maupassant has a great short story about a madam and her five girls who go on a trip to visit her family

mandr

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 12:40 pm
Yeah and I see Pishposh baby's ad every time I log into Imamother! It bothers me to even say the name out loud.

I once saw an ad in the Community Connections that was trying to advertised a bidet but they didn't want to say so outright so they were all busy with V'hiyisem Neki'im for bathrooms.

Reesa

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 8:41 pm
My favorite is the ad for Magnum ice cream that says something about pleasure.
(Magnum is a brand for condoms.)

mom2dkay

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 9:01 pm
Wow! Do so many of you really have such dirty minds! Get your mind out of the gutter, will you? The word has other definitions that are clean and totally acceptable! Just check out some dictionaries.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 8:30 am
mom2dkay wrote:
Wow! Do so many of you really have such dirty minds! Get your mind out of the gutter, will you? The word has other definitions that are clean and totally acceptable! Just check out some dictionaries.

Sure it does. Otherwise little kids who are being introduced to word play would never learn the palindrome, Madam, I'm Adam. But some things aren't great business models. It's wonderful that the people starting the businesses are so temimusdik. (Or maybe they're just edgy, like the Spirit VD ad.) Should everyone vet a possible company name to be sure there are no connotations? I don't know how extensively one has to search but I would have thought this could have come up in an early focus group. Or maybe it did and it was vetoed. Who knows. But you have to understand that some of the examples that came up aren't exactly arcane. Even people like me, who don't have a TV, don't use the internet so exclusively, but do listen to radio and radio a bit have winced over some of the doozies on this thread.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 8:44 am
Cookies n Cream wrote:
sequoia wrote:
gp2.0 wrote:
So? They're obviously going for the more common definition of "lady." Is it also funny when someone is addressed as ma'am? *insert baffled emoticon*

There is a vast linguistic difference between madam and ma'am.

Is there really?
Because I just did a quick Google search, and it seems that it's perfectly acceptable to use Madam in this context.

Sure, it CAN be used, but shouldn't because of the very reaction it's got here alone!

It's extremely common knowledge that a Madam is a lady that runs a house of ill repute.

I feel bad that nobody pointed this out to them!

Inspired

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 8:48 am
sequoia wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Am I slow?
I don't get the joke. embarrassed

A madam manages a whorehouse.

Glad I am not the only one for whom this was their first thought. I couldn't bring myself to open the thread at first because of it.

CatLady

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 9:03 am
After reading the title, can I assume that all the sheitels they sell are big, blonde and very, very country???

Just for fun, here's a list of the Top 10 worst car names of all time. And oops they did it again!

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 9:53 am
if you pronounce it in yiddish - מאדאם - it means a sophisticated, fancy lady. tha'ts probably what they were aiming for. "She's such a mah-dahm!" not 'ma-dam'.

ally

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 11:10 am
CatLady wrote:
After reading the title, can I assume that all the sheitels they sell are big, blonde and very, very country???

Just for fun, here's a list of the Top 10 worst car names of all time. And oops they did it again!

In Israel the Nissan juke roughly approximates as Nissan cockroach.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 4:57 pm
CatLady wrote:

All splendid names for a rock band.

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 6:13 pm
PSA: Spelled "Madam" it's pronounced MAD-am.
To pronounce it mah-DAHM you have to spell it Madame. Ma Dame=my lady.

nechami1

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 4:58 pm
there is a new ad here in the UK for a deodarant called p****- and underneath the ad it says- yes, we all know what dirty minds you have.......(meaning what are you thinking when you read the ad)- its a deodorant! And btw here in England Ma'am is a nice way of saying Lady- you would address the Queen as Ma'am.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels