Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
TA Raanana, Ramat Aviv, Ramat Gan, Herzliya, Givat shmuel?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 8:55 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for all of the info. I was surprised by the clothing in the video. Do the dati kids in raanana normally wear sleeveless and low cut shirts? Thats not a torani crowd, right? I thought the torani crowd was more covered?

Where did you see kids in sleeveless and low cut in the video? The video I saw was 99.9% male? I also didn't see the wives that Isramom referred to. Strange.

amother wrote:
40 minutes to an hour is a long commute...im begining to rethink this.

Would it be insane to start in TA near DH work and check out communities once we are there?

Not insane to start in TA at all, unless you have older children (above age 5). If your kids are older, I'd suggest trying to find a place with the option of settling down there, just in order to minimize all the moving around you'll be doing. But honestly, most olim spend a couple of years moving here and there till they find their place.
I'm sure there are some dati communities in TA, it's a huge place. Maybe you'll even settle there.
In fact, if you don't have older kids, that's probably what I'd do. You can explore from there, and meanwhile save yourself a long commute. It is expensive though.

I would also take another look at Rechovot. I'm not so familiar with the community, but they do have a train station, and that makes for an easy commute.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 9:36 am
I think OP was referring to the second video link I posted, the "One Day" presentation by the kids of Beit Knesset Shivtei Yisrael. Yes, OP. These are the kids of the DL Torani crowd here. This is how this crowd dresses.

The Kollel crowd dresses more covered up, according to Chareidi standards.

You might want to also look into RBS. My daughter and son in law live in Ramat Beit Shemesh Aleph and find a mix of Chareidim and DL in their area.

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 10:18 am
Isramom8 wrote:
I think OP was referring to the second video link I posted, the "One Day" presentation by the kids of Beit Knesset Shivtei Yisrael. Yes, OP. These are the kids of the DL Torani crowd here. This is how this crowd dresses.

You might want to also look into RBS. My daughter and son in law live in Ramat Beit Shemesh Aleph and find a mix of Chareidim and DL in their area.

I didn't see kids in white button-down shirts and black pants, but I don't recall seeing anything "low-cut".

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 10:35 am
DrMom wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

I didn't see kids in white button-down shirts and black pants, but I don't recall seeing anything "low-cut".

OK, I saw the link now. I wouldn't describe those kids as 'torani DL' in most circles in Israel. They look just like regular DL to me.
To me, torani DL is almost bordering on chardal - definitely the girls wear more than cap sleeves.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 10:39 am
I know almost every family of the kids in the Shivtei video. These are the DL Raanana families who care about Torah and Yiddishkeit.

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 10:41 am
Isramom8 wrote:
I know almost every family of the kids in the Shivtei video. These are the DL Raanana families who care about Torah and Yiddishkeit.

I am sure of that. I didn't imply otherwise. Most DL families are very dedicated to Torah.

I just meant that the term 'Torani', as a sociological label in Israel, implies a more RW approach.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 10:43 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

I am sure of that. I didn't imply otherwise. Most DL families are very dedicated to Torah.

I just meant that the term 'Torani', as a sociological label in Israel, implies a more RW approach.

Not OP's crowd then, I guess.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 1:42 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
Tablepoetry wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

Not OP's crowd then, I guess.

My impression of Torani is what Tablepoetry mentioned. I was just surprised. Nothing wrong with being a little surprised Smile I thought Torani was more like Chardal just a little different. For example, I went to Michlalah for seminary, in my mind thats what I thought Torani was and why I thought I would be a good fit.

What is the community like at the kollel? Is it a real community or transient or what? When you say charedi what does that mean? I am really not charedi by israel standards. Are the kollel people charedi and the people who go to the kollel are more of a mix?

Can anyone tell me about the schooling situation. We want to send to a school that is on a high academic level. Are all of the schools similar? Are some better then others? Do you just send to what is near by? How does it work? I understand the basic break down of being public, public religious and by/yeshiva type.

Thanks everyone!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 1:43 pm
Isramom and Table - can I contact you guys directly with questions?

Tamiri

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 3:00 pm
OP when you are considering commute times, you need to assume that the travelling will be during the rush hours. Raanana to Tel Aviv is probably 20 minutes or less with no traffic. From RBS it won't be less than 35-40 minutes. However, when you factor in traffic, Raanana turns into closer to 40 minutes to an hour and RBS is probably a good hour to an hour and a half.
From my home to the center of Tel Aviv is maybe 20-25 minutes. However, if we leave the house past 7:15 am (or maybe even earlier) the commute can take the better part of an hour because of all the other commuters.
That's why many people prefer a motorcycle.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 3:09 pm
Tamiri wrote:
OP when you are considering commute times, you need to assume that the travelling will be during the rush hours. Raanana to Tel Aviv is probably 20 minutes or less with no traffic. From RBS it won't be less than 35-40 minutes. However, when you factor in traffic, Raanana turns into closer to 40 minutes to an hour and RBS is probably a good hour to an hour and a half.
From my home to the center of Tel Aviv is maybe 20-25 minutes. However, if we leave the house past 7:15 am (or maybe even earlier) the commute can take the better part of an hour because of all the other commuters.
That's why many people prefer a motorcycle.

this might be a stupid question.... but I know there is a train from herzliya. Do people drive to the train and then take that into TA? It seems like it would be an easier commute...but I dont really know anything Smile

Tamiri

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 3:21 pm
Of course they do! My husband did that at a previous job. The thing is getting to the train station... depending on where you live and what time you leave, that may "burn" time in traffic as well and the station's proximity to your work place is also something to think about. Additionally, Israelis get reimbursed for travel to/from work... by bus. The train, while possibly saving time, also costs more.
Another thing to think about is whether you really want to own a car, pay so much insurance on it etc. in order to have it stand at a train station where it's at risk. It's not so cheap to own even a clunker here.

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:
Isramom and Table - can I contact you guys directly with questions?

Of course....I'll try to help if I can.

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 4:16 pm
Of course people drive to the train station and then take the train to work. I know many, many people who do that. In fact, come to think of it, I don't know anyone who takes the bus to the train station (I'm sure they exist, just I don't know them...)

Tamiri, what do you mean the car is at risk at the train station? Of all the many people I know who leave their cars there daily, nothing's ever happened. And if it did, the car is fully insured, so what's the problem?

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 4:19 pm
Tamiri wrote:
The thing is getting to the train station... depending on where you live and what time you leave, that may "burn" time in traffic as well and the station's proximity to your work place is also something to think about.

Definitely. I know people who live in Mazkeret Batya, for example, and it's not worth it for them to drive to the Rehovot train station in the morning. Although Rechovot is only maybe 20 min away, in rush hour it can be 45 min (so I'm told), at which point it's already more worth it to drive straight to Tel Aviv.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 5:09 pm
You can PM me, sure. Why not? Very Happy

Isramom8

Post Sat, Mar 16 2013, 1:15 pm
OP, I recommend that to understand Raanana's social side better, you speak with Shivtei Yisrael's assistant rabbi's wife. She is young, personable and also kind of RWDL/LWYeshivish. I saw her this morning at shul and mentioned your questions. Would you like to email her?

Tamiri

Post Sat, Mar 16 2013, 1:23 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
Of course people drive to the train station and then take the train to work. I know many, many people who do that. In fact, come to think of it, I don't know anyone who takes the bus to the train station (I'm sure they exist, just I don't know them...)

Tamiri, what do you mean the car is at risk at the train station? Of all the many people I know who leave their cars there daily, nothing's ever happened. And if it did, the car is fully insured, so what's the problem?
I only know about things that happened in the Rosh haAyin and PT train stations, since those are within the area of a lot of our customers. Insured? Not everyone has comprehensive. Third party doesn't cover theft or damage to your car. With comprehensive, there is still the deductible and you still have to pay for the policy until the end date, even though the car was stolen (you get a new policy for a new car). Pain in the neck. PLENTY of people leave cars, but I don't think I would based on what I see. Maybe a clunker.

Tablepoetry

Post Sat, Mar 16 2013, 1:30 pm
Tamiri, it's your job. LOL. It's like the dentist who sees someone's tooth decay instead of their smile.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Mar 16 2013, 1:39 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
Tamiri, it's your job. LOL. It's like the dentist who sees someone's tooth decay instead of their smile.
Nachon. Just saying.... LOL
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions