Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
JWE Convention

amother

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 6:03 pm
So there's the banner ad on the top of this page... I'm intrigued by this convention but not sure what to expect since it's the first year. Is anyone else planning on going? If so, what career are you in, or are you hoping to start a business? I run a small magazine and a freelance graphic design business, and have been in entrepreneurship for almost 10 years. While I'm always interested in improving and growing my businesses, I also don't want to go to a conference where everyone is just considering starting their own business and wants to know how to get started. Any thoughts?

amother

Post Fri, Mar 08 2013, 7:08 am
I am thinking about going for the networking aspect. I recently lost my job and am exploring new career directions so I'd be interested in hearing what women who have "made it" have to say.

wereafamily

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 12:07 am
I know if I will go I will learn many interesting things and meet many interesting & inspiring people - BUT I don't want to pay 100 dollars.

(But I must admit I just spent an hour on their website)

Last edited by wereafamily on Sun, Apr 27 2014, 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bitachon101

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 12:41 am
I really would love to go as well. It sounds very interesting and its a womens event and I think there may be a lot to learn and tremendous networking as well. I do not know though if I can spend the $100 either but I'll tell dh about it and see what he says.

I dont own a business but I work alot in marketing and my parents and husband both have brought up a few business start up ideas that they would like to get into and would like me to be involved. I dont know if I can get out of work but would be nice if it could work out!

rivky215

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 4:52 pm
I know at least 10 colleagues attending, all who own very successful businesses. They are attending to either network and form some strategic partnerships with other businesses there, or learn how to improve and expand. There are a wide range of workshops per session-- for the experienced business owner as well as those in 'start-up phase' so I anticipate that there will be a large number of both. Hope this helps!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 5:57 pm
@anonymous #1:

Some of the businesses owned by women attending that I personally know:

- hosiery store (in house)
- massage therapist
- CPA with private practice
- lawyer with private practice
- virtual assistant company
- small clothing retailer
- personal shopper
- ecommerce (me)

As for the price, to each her own, but I've been to conferences like these (non-frum) that have cost upward of $300. The classes and networking capability make it a very worthy investment in my book!

Shachar

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 10:30 pm
$100 is more than reasonable for a conference like this. (Also, they have a sliding scale option on the flyer).

Did you check out the schedule? I had such a hard time narrowing down which classes to attend because they are all so good. Google some of the speakers, like Talia Moshiach (who is frum and running a multi-million dollar tech business and is SO articulate and amazing) and watch her on YouTube. I am counting down the days to this conference and I will be flying in from Cleveland.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 11:24 pm
Thanks all posters for the info. Does anyone her know any chasidish women attending this conference?

Chaya Fishman

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 1:53 pm
Hi everyone,

I am the executive director of The JWE (so I know a tad about this event); I am happy to answer any conference questions.

Since there are many anonymous posters here-- I will answer like this:

1. In terms of ratio of current business owners and future business owners-- we are deliberately maintaining a ratio of about 60/40 [business owners/start-up candidates]. So yes, there are many women attending from both camps, but a bit more that already own businesses. We have tried to offer a spectrum of classes that is wide enough that everyone can benefit. If you think we've left an important topic out--let us know!

2. In terms of Chassidishe women attending-- one of the questions on our registration form is 'I would consider myself: Orthodox, Yeshivishe, Modern-Orthodox, Lubavitch, Chassidishe, Sephardic, etc.'
So far, there is a significant group of Chassidishe women attending. So much so, that we are working to organize a bus from Brooklyn for them. There are many women that identified as 'Orthodox' too. [But, that wasn't your question].

I hope you find this helpful. Feel free to keep asking.

I hope you will join us!

-Chaya

amother

Post Tue, Mar 12 2013, 7:12 pm
I registered today! Really looking forward! How many women are you expecting to come?

Chaya Fishman

Post Fri, Mar 15 2013, 2:20 pm
Hi! I look forward to meeting you there!

We are expecting between 350-500 women.

Kfar

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 1:29 pm
The registration form asks for a promo code (and states otherwise that the price is 125) - is there an imamother promo code that I missed for the 100 dollar rate? Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics