Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Special Education Vs School with Resource Room Advice Please

amother

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 11:24 pm
My daughter has been in a regular education school her entire life. While she does have challeges, she usually runs a grade behind. Next year I want to make some changes for the better. I can't decide whether to put her in a "full blown special ed school" or a school with a resource room and tools for helping students. I am really not opposed to either and both schools want to have her. She is normal socially and doesn't present any other chalenges. How do I decide what's best for her? I am having a difficult time.

mommy of boys

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 12:38 am
Each child is different.
For some children it would hurt them to know that they're in a different school than regular kids and for others it would help them finally feel like they belong.

Why dont you ask the teachers or other people in the system that know your daughter well what they think?

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 2:16 am
You haven't given enough detail here. How long is "her entire life?" What KIND of challenges is she having? How does she FEEL about her current setting?

Without knowing any of those very important details, your post indicates that a resource room type of program would likely be appropriate. Self-contained special ed schools tend to attract students with more serious problems, and you say your child is only about one grade behind even with zero intervention, so special ed seems like overkill. However, I feel like there is a lot missing from your post.

Has any unaffiliated person evaluated your child's academic needs? I would recommend having a professional advise you in person. If you are in the NY area, PM me and we can talk more specifically about the options you're considering. I don't know about schools or professionals in other cities, though.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 6:40 am
It depends on what your child's challenges are, and on which special ed school/class are in question. Are the other kids there social? What sorta of disabilities do they have? Are they similar to your daughter's level of functioning?If she is truly normal socially, then I think she should probably be in a resource room, but again, that depends on what her issues are.

oohlala

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 8:52 am
Has your daughter been evaluated and been found to have learning disabilities? It's not clear from your question. If not, I see no reason to switch her to a special ed. school. Some students have weaknesses, and schools have supports to help those students. I think the main thing (if she is not special ed) would be to talk to the school and ask them how they can best help your child with the resources they have.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 9:18 am
So I agree that there is not enough detail here but will share my experience with you.

My asd son is almost 17. He was in regular public hs for two years, taking university track courses. He had access to the resource room and was doing relatively well.

He was invited to participate in a pilot programme for high functioning asd kids at another school. Initially we turned it Dow rather than uproot him but eventually we decided that if he was getting disorder related help for the first time in his school career, then that was a god thing.

The resource teacher had fifty kids to look out for. In the new programme, there are nine, with a teacher and two ea's.

That said, one class a day is the special programme and he still takes university track classes. The extra support has been amazing for him. His last report card showed consistent grades but more importantly, the comments were incredible and the citizenship and 'mid dot' marks were higher than I have ever seen. And with so much less stress because its not me trying to catch up with his teachers, it's the teacher and aids who only have 9 kids to follow.

Yesterday at a mall we ran into his digital arts teacher and she actually used the expression ' so ahead of the curve in relation to my son.' In fact he is behind on his log sheets ( like time sheets) but she has zero problem letting him do extra projects to make up the ones he missed. She seemed to think it was realistic that he could go to college for a digital arts type of programme.

So, even though he is not in a special school and he gets to choose seven of his classes, he is in a special programme within the school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children