Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How much matzah?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 1:17 pm
We're going to be home for Pesach for the first time this year for all the meals. My preteen stepdaughter will be with us by the sedarim and for part of chol hamoed. I have NO idea how much matzah to get! We have 4 lbs already, but I don't know if we need more than that?? How much more?

Liba

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 2:22 pm
We got 6.6lbs (3 kilo) for the six of us, but I know people who are much bigger matzah eaters. Do you eat gebructs? Will you be making matzah brei? Matzah pizza? Matzah lasagna?

bbmom

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 2:24 pm
Here's how I calculate it: (for handmade matzahs)

There are about 8 matzahs in 1 lb. 1 kazayis is about a half a matzah.

For the sedarim every adult eats:
1 kazayis for motzi
1 kazayis for matzah
1 kazayis for korech
1 kazayis for afikomen

That's two matzahs per adult at each Seder. So for a family of 2 adults that would be 1/2 lb per Seder. You can probably assume that a preteen girl will eat half that so 1 1/2 lbs should get you through the sedarim fine.

For each yom tov meal you need two matzahs for lechem mishne so that would add another 1/2 lb taking you to 3 lbs total for the first days.

Fri night and shabbos day you'll need two matzahs for each meal so that's another 1/2 lb and then two again for each yom tov meal second days would be another pound. If you are careful to wash at least once each chol hamoed day you'll need another 1/2 pound at least.

That would bring you to 5 lbs. If your family are matzah noshers and/or if you are not prepared to be strict with rationing out the matzah then you'll need more.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 4:42 pm
I heard an estimate of 3 pound per adult and half that for kids. my father estimated 7-8 pounds for us, two adults and two kids. it sounds right. of course it also depend on how much you use during chol hamoed and meals above shiurim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics