Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Did I do the right thing?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 25 2013, 10:03 am
My BIL is visiting for the sedarim. He is a bit quirky, in his 50's and unmarried. He doesn't really think things through.

He said he wanted to go to Whole Foods and buy us some fresh produce for the yom tovim. So, I didn't get things at my fabulous discount market a few days ago, but waited for him, so he could feel like he was pitching in.

This morning, I drove over there with him. He picked out more than we can possibly use, has no intention (or knowledge) to check the leafy greens, and I need to find storage for all this, check it, and cook it.

Then, right as I got on line to pay, he wandered off. When the cashier finished ringing everything up, he wasn't around.

What would you have done?

I just paid for it all. It cost triple what that amount of stuff would have cost at my regular place. I'm trying not to be upset, but let it be for a kapparah. Did I do the right thing?

freidasima

Post Mon, Mar 25 2013, 10:58 am
I would have left everything there and walked out.
You were had.
If he is THAT quirky to walk away when there is a need to pay let him go back and get the stuff himself.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Mar 25 2013, 11:00 am
give him the receipt and ask him to pay. explain exactly why you brought him there, etc. be very honest with him. speaking of checking leaves, I have to go check my romaine. whoopee...

amother

Post Mon, Mar 25 2013, 11:54 am
Either he is simple, or he has serious chutzpah. That is not acceptable. You cannot just use people and take from them. He said he wanted to buy for you did he not? If he didn't fine, but he did, and he made you pay triple the price because he lied to you. You might not be out of pocket. Personally I wouldn't have said anything but I would have told my dh - and he would talk to him about it. I would however take note of what he did, and be distrustful of him from now on.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 25 2013, 11:56 am
sorry I meant to say you might *now* be out of pocket. he deceived you it's not fair

amother

Post Mon, Mar 25 2013, 1:48 pm
Either hv not paid or make him pay u back and If not return it.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 25 2013, 1:59 pm
OP here. He really meant to pay for it, I think. I don't know why he didn't come right away when I said the cashier was just about done ringing it up.

I guess I do need to talk to him and find out what went wrong.

Yes, he is simple. Or something, I don't know exactly what.

Every time he comes, he drives me crazy. Usually, he has gone out to the store by himself. I figured if I went with him, I could cut down on how much stuff he would buy that would just get wasted, with not enough time to check and prepare it. Then, this.

Now, he wants me to drive him out to shop for presents for the kids (DH works doesn't have time or patience for him). I keep trying to arrange life so I will have enough time for him, but what with kids, erev yt, and all, it's hard. Then, if I say no, I feel guilty for depriving him and the kids.

ChutzPAh

Post Wed, Mar 27 2013, 10:53 pm
And what makes you think you won't end up being slapped with the bill for the toys? Don't go to the toy store until he pays for the veggies
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette