Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What can I save for next year?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

thanks

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 2:39 am
I save ground and chopped nuts in the freezer. Some canned fruit I have has an expiration of 2016, so I saved that too. Oil can break down when exposed to light so store in the dark or in a container that is not clear.

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 4:20 am
I check expirations and save closed bottles of oil and vinegar, and bags of potato starch and cocoa if they are still good before next Pesach. I also bag up the salt shaker and leave it full. I don't save open packages though.

My inlaws save matzah from year to year ke"h successfully. The time we tried it we opened our Pesach cabinet the following year to a box empty of matzah, full of mouse nest. The whole Pesach cabinet was full of droppings. They had chewed the lid off of our canister of cocoa as well.

I have been really really wary of saving much of anything since then.

myself

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 7:15 am
Never save an open bottle of oil. A number of years ago I had a full opened bottle that would still be in date the following year so wrapped it well and put it away. It was awful!!! Last year I had a closed bottle so put it away and it was perfect this year.

Liba, how do your in laws store matza?

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 7:33 am
myself wrote:

Liba, how do your in laws store matza?

They leave it in the cardboard matzah boxes on the top shelf of their pesach closet. They have a long history of doing so, and it is always (ke"h) fine. The matzah tastes fresh and no one can tell this years from last (me included, and I am picky).

chani8

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 7:33 am
We usually save matza from year to year, especially when we have leftover WHOLE round hand shmura matzas.

Seraph

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 9:30 am
YESHASettler wrote:
kakky wrote:
I save my spices and every few years change the lot. This year I bought new and but away in ziploc bag, paprika, black pepper, granulated garlic, etc.

Spices lose their potency rather fast. It's not worthwhile to put away year to year.
I save mine year to year. I like having a spice cabinet, and never know which spices I'll be in the mood to use, so I want to have a nice selection, which I wouldn't have if I had to buy new every year. I triple bag mine and they're fine from year to year. And if they're a little blander- then I just increase the amount of spice used. Better than needing to buy a whole new spice "shelf" each pesach. (In case you're wondering the pesach spices/herbs I have are sweet paprika, hot paprika, hot pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic powder, dill, mint, cilantro, parsley, thyme, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, turmeric.)

paprika

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 9:49 am
Some spices tend to get wormy. Please check them before using, unless you keep them in the freezer.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 10:16 am
I put onion powder, garlic powder, cinnamon, black pepper, white pepper, cloves, salt, potato starch, paprika, and coffee into the freezer.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 10:21 am
I don't save anything that is open. I don'tknow aboutanyone else, but, I use up my spices regularly. So there is no point in saving it from year to year. Theywillbe long gone by next pesach. As willthetomato sauce and most of the other stuff. I or away thecake meal andsealed starch, because I know I won'tuse them. Everything else went intothe chometz cabinet. Most stuff isnt much more expensive then usual.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 11:42 am
I save open plastic goods.. Don't like worrying about food having to spoil but always end up overbuying on plastic silverware, foil, plastic wrap, paper plates, disposable plastic t. clothes, etc..

mommyhood

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:16 pm
We save spices from year to year, the food tastes fine to me. We also save vanilla sugar, baking powder and oil spray. It all gets double bagged in ziploc bags and put in the Pesach cabinet.
Unopened matzo meal gets frozen. We double bag it and stick it on the bottom shelf of the freezer.

mimimom

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 1:15 pm
Spices, matzah, cake meal, potato starch, cocoa, salt, sugar (and, of course, all manner of paper/plastic goods). I've been saving packets of Sweet N Low for about ten years now. I think they'll get the ol' heave ho next year. ;-)

willow

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 1:21 pm
what is the difference between pesach baking powder and year round?

esty2

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 1:56 pm
potatoe starch cocoa etc.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 2:13 pm
Repeat, I have NO freezer space. If I put the spices in a ziploc bag I still need to worry about worms? I have TONS of spice because these big containers were on sale... don't ask. I have enough for all year, too, so they won't get used... sugar I can keep out, but some other things I really only need for Pesach.

September June

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 2:28 pm
seeker wrote:
Repeat, I have NO freezer space. If I put the spices in a ziploc bag I still need to worry about worms? I have TONS of spice because these big containers were on sale... don't ask. I have enough for all year, too, so they won't get used... sugar I can keep out, but some other things I really only need for Pesach.

Your spices will be fine (I have spices I use year round that are older than a year and are perfectly fine). Your sugar does not need the freezer.

EmesOrNT

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 2:31 pm
I used to put away my spices, but I realized from year to year they were not so great anymore. You can use it, but it's not worth it.

Seeker, sometimes, buying things on sale is more expensive. I tell my husband all the time, we can't afford to be cheap.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 2:38 pm
No point in saving, since I won't remember what I saved.

Simple1

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 2:45 pm
I've had issues with paprika, cayenne, crushed red pepper, and some other spices getting infested - and it's not even after such a long time.

Personally I don't like saving things for a year. My foods taste very good on Pesach, because the spices are so fresh. This was a plus for me this year, because I wasn't so organized and didn't make so much, but at least the food was good. I will continue to use the spices now after Pesach.

myself

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 3:21 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
No point in saving, since I won't remember what I saved.

That's what lists are for!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics