Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Healthy shopping list help! I'm new to this

wifeandmore

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:22 pm
My usual shopping list includes duncan hines mix, brown sugar, mint cookies, all sorts of vinegars, pastas, frozen pizza...you get the drift.

All pesach I've been super good for my diet-low carb diet basically (for pcos) and want to go even furtehr now. I'm not the type to shop every day. I want to shop today for the next week. What would I need on a healthy shopping list (what ingredients would be needed for salmon/chicken recipes)...at a loss!!

I hate oatmeal and all those bran / grain things so I'm off to a bad start already...

chani8

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:44 pm
We don't eat any grains except for shobbos, when we have wild rice pilaf.

My list:

Veggies - zucchini, tomato, peppers, cabbage, onion, broccoli, egg plant
Chicken breasts
Ground beef/chicken/turkey
Tomato paste (no salt)
Eggs
Sliced cheese
Cottage cheese
Diet yogurts
Milk
Spices

I can't think of anything else right now.

MimiMommy

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 3:35 pm
Rice/quinoa
Olive oil
Flour
Plain yogurt - delicious mixed with strawberries, nuts, honey, or whatever else and much healthier
Skim milk
Try tofu
Pasta is ok once or twice a week
Fruit - apples, oranges, bananas
Veggies - tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, sweet potatoes, garlic
Beans - great for improvisation. Buy them canned for prep ease.

neveralone

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 10:23 pm
chani8 wrote:
We don't eat any grains except for shobbos, when we have wild rice pilaf.

My list:

Veggies - zucchini, tomato, peppers, cabbage, onion, broccoli, egg plant
Chicken breasts
Ground beef/chicken/turkey
Tomato paste (no salt)
Eggs
Sliced cheese
Cottage cheese
Diet yogurts
Milk
Spices

I can't think of anything else right now.

can you give a sample for a weeks supper & lunch menu. since after pesach my husband said he wants to go on a now carb diet (except a whole wheat sandwitch for breakfast) so I need ideas for lunch & supper. my husband works really hard & long hours & comes home starving! so ive been doing lots of soups and veggies- cooked & raw but I need more ideas. off the top of my head heres some of the cooked veggies I make but I need more ideas: roasted veg, roasted zuchini rings, ratitue hash (eggplant, zuchini, onions, red peper,little tomato- if anyone wants I can post recepy), beet salad, coliflower popcorn, roasted carrots, stir frys, qinoa salad. tia!

mummy-bh

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 2:48 am
Take a look at www.kalynskitchen.com for some ideas on low-carb meals.

Check out the south beach diet. The basic premise is to be eating lots of vegetables with protein as the basis for a meal.
Make lots of carb free or low carb soups to snack on, and for the start of a meal.

Last night I made a huge meatloaf from ground turkey. It was so big that I thought there would be enough for tonight for me and dh, but the kids polished it off! For the kids I served it with mashed potatoes and green beans, me and dh skipped the potatoes.

Sometimes when dh is peckish after a meal he'll have a salad (tcp) with a hard boiled egg or can of sardines mixed in.

Inspired

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 2:59 am
lentils
legumes- chickpeas, beans.
lots of vegetables.
dried and fresh fruit. get overripe fruit and make smoothies. I'm very into smoothies these days.
nuts
Think about the flavors you like, look for recipes that incorporate those. Make a meal plan and shop for the ingredients.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking