Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Meals for someone who had a baby

shirtsandskirts

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 2:22 pm
We are really tight financially and I was asked to make a meal for someone who had a baby, and it was very nicely asked if I can make fleishigs. I said sure, but am thinking about it now. We have chicken ourselves once a week and on shabbos and I make one piece to split between the two of us. This requires me making two pieces of chicken for them. I happened to have bought a family pack of chicken, so I have it in the freezer, but it's more than we make for us. what should I do?

SingALong

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 2:28 pm
Can you make something like chicken lo mein, or stir fried chicken with vegetables, or ground meat in sauce for spaghetti? You can make it fleishig without using as much meat/chicken. You can also do a vegetable-barley or split pea soup with chicken stock, or a marrow bone.

wife2

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 2:29 pm
say that you would love to make a meal but could you do do milchigs or parve anyway? maybe u can explain that fleishig costs more if you are not embarrassed?

busydev

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 2:32 pm
when I had my baby someone made an absolutely delish stir fry with shredded pieces of chicken and veggies. plus other (cheaper but very yummy) sides. I dont think she used more then one chicken legs worth for it. without the thigh.

dont have the recipe tho... but something like that would work. send it with a filling soup.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 2:36 pm
Can you do something with ground beef? I've seen great prices on ground beef ($3.50-$5/lb) and its so versatile! You can make meatloaf, meatballs, chili, shepherds pie, pasta with meat sauce etc.

shirtsandskirts

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 2:36 pm
So I was thinking of doing a stir-fry. I usually make that for us. I made it for someone else once who had a baby also, but I don't know if they liked it. It's the kind of thing that can be really hit or miss, someone will either like it or they won't so I am afraid to... But I guess I will

shirtsandskirts

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 2:38 pm
superdanni wrote:
Can you do something with ground beef? I've seen great prices on ground beef ($3.50-$5/lb) and its so versatile! You can make meatloaf, meatballs, chili, shepherds pie, pasta with meat sauce etc.

it costs more than chicken...

busydev

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 2:39 pm
go for it. and add some other sides/dishes so in case they dont go for it they will have other things to eat.

the person who made a stir fry for me also sent soup, bread, some cut up melon and dessert. If we hadnt liked the main we had some things to warm up or make quick to go with the rest- like tuna. but unless you were told they dont want stir fry go ahead and make it. thats always a chance when getting meals- that you wont like it.

rosenbal

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 2:41 pm
I am always so grateful for meals after kids, I'll eat anything almost...LOL! Don't feel bad about the stir-fry being hit or miss. Even if it's not their usual thing, they'll eat it and if they don't they won't starve - they'll have sandwiches. Also, there's something to be said for variety. After 1 of my kids, I got chicken and rice 8 out of 10 times I think!!!! When we got chicken and potatoes we were thrilled at the variety Very Happy So it's nice when people coordinate for some variety - a couple of flaishings, milcihgs, fish etc. But really most women are just so grateful for the food those first 2 weeks that they don't care!!!! Don't do something that is truly not within your budget or how you feed your family, you will feel resentful at the mitzva then.

mommydiaries

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 3:31 pm
Here (US) ground meat is super cheap. (The regular kind not the extra lean etc.) I use one package in a tomato sauce with pasta and zucchini.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 3:35 pm
DunkinLover wrote:
superdanni wrote:

it costs more than chicken...

Really? According to my calculations (and experience) 1 lb of ground beef can serve 4-6 ppl. So for 5$ (max) you can serve yet many people. I find chicken prices to be higher than that, per serving.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 3:38 pm
Another idea, if its really a hardship for you, say that you can only make dairy (though I find that often cheese, like for ziti, can be more expensive than chicken) you are the one doing the favor, it shouldn't be a hardship!!

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 4:01 pm
make a hearty lentil soup and something like stir fry or meat sauce in which you can put a little meat or chicken. Plus a side and salad. the lentil soup is cheap but protein rich and will fill them up. (and its healthy)

gold21

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 8:48 pm
An idea that may or may not make sense: Make a small pack of meatballs for yourselves in a thick flavorful sauce and pour the sauce it was cooked in into a container. Serve with rice. Viola, rice with meat sauce.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette