Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Snow Storm and School closings
1  2  3  4  Next

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 10:28 pm
Well my college already closed on the webpage...

But the kids school... still is not posted...LOL

daisylover

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 10:32 pm
I am praying there wont be school tmrw (as a teacher) due to the expected storm coming our way... oh would that be nice!!!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 10:34 pm
where do you live? in Brooklyn everything will probably be opened, though I expect only 1/2 my school to show up...

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 10:37 pm
I am still hoping the storm will blow over..

My first exam is supposed to be tomorrow, but the webpage says it's closed so I am stuck

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 10:45 pm
Cleveland is closed tomorrow - too much snow - last week was too cold!!!

rachel

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 11:14 pm
daisylover wrote:
I am praying there wont be school tmrw (as a teacher) due to the expected storm coming our way... oh would that be nice!!!

If you live in Brooklyn please stop praying Banging head . I want my kids to have school. And my cleaning lady has to come tomorrow unless u r willing do it instead. Wink

mumoo

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 11:16 pm
chicago has had about 6-7 inches today. I have shoveled 6 times today and the winds make it look like I've never even touched a shovel

my boys came home early tonight-usually the building would have to vaporize c'v in order for them to close school

I still don't think girls or boys schools will close tomorrow. after all, we are in chicago and it is winter (though it seems most drivers were surprised to see snow) shock

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 11:31 pm
daisylover wrote:

LOL. I'm praying that my guests will be able to fly back tomorrow to Israel. Otherwise I guess they will still be here for Shabbos. Wink And then my daughter won't get her package on time Sad Otherwise they are welcome to stay!

Last edited by TzenaRena on Thu, Feb 15 2007, 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total

shopaholic

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 7:43 am
DS's school sent home a note. Basically, school is never closed. The buses may be slower, there may not be buses but they say that you are responsible to bring your son, which, living at the other end of town, I wouldn't do. We have to call at 7:30 to hear a recorded message.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 8:03 am
woke up and there is sooo much snow and wind the plows can't keep up and the garbage pickup is cancelled too. The worst part is that my car was being fixed yesterday and I didn't get a chance to go food shopping before storm. Otherwise the snow is very pretty!

I'll never understand why they have school with no buses and the impossibility of actually getting there - let you sons play!!!

shayna82

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 8:09 am
school has been closed here so many times already int he last 3 weeks, because of snow or just plain too cold. canceled yesterday, canceled today for even more snow, and we are all stuck in and bored of sitting home. help!!!

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 8:11 am
shayna82 wrote:
school has been closed here so many times already int he last 3 weeks, because of snow or just plain too cold. canceled yesterday, canceled today for even more snow, and we are all stuck in and bored of sitting home. help!!!

pile on the layers and play in the snow & make cookies to have with hot cocoa when you come back in that ought to take away some bordom

shayna82

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 8:19 am
my youngest is too young to understand thta he cant touch everything while baking cookies, eventhough my oldest loves it. an theres never a time when its just th eoldest up and not the youngest, so I just dont bake with them yet. I save myself the agravation. maybe soon thy can join in, but until now, too many almost accidents wtihthe mixer...

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 9:00 am
we are closed too... but I think it's due to ice... not alot of snow..

I remember the first year we lived here, the snow went above my knees!

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 9:09 am
Quote:
I'll never understand why they have school with no buses and the impossibility of actually getting there - let you sons play!!!
The yeshiva doesn't cancel because of the importance of Torah study by young children, which keeps the world in existence. It gives an extremely important message to everyone.

There are always thosse children who live closer by and it's not that hard to walk there. so how could the Yeshiva justify closing it's doors.

However, those children for whom it's difficult stay home. parents use common sense of course.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 9:15 am
TzenaRena wrote:
Quote:
The yeshiva doesn't cancel because of the importance of Torah study by young children, which keeps the world in existence. It gives an extremely important message to everyone.

There are always thosse children who live closer by and it's not that hard to walk there. so how could the Yeshiva justify closing it's doors.

However, those children for whom it's difficult stay home. parents use common sense of course.

I didn't say they should go do an aveira - I said they should play - happy kids grow up to be happy adults - ...

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 9:23 am
Right, Greenfire, I didn't say that you did. Confused Of course, I keep my kids home whenever it would be too rough for them.

Right now I'm sorry I sent my daughter. I'm picturing her waiting outside for a bus that comes so much later than usual in this storm. Sad And she left her gloves at home. Rolling Eyes I hope the bus came...It sounds like sleet pounding my windows.

She just has had more than her share of absences and latenesses (understatement Rolling Eyes ), so I was glad when she was ready on time today and didn't try to take advantage of the situation.

ShiraMiri

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 9:29 am
Snow day in Chicago! Wheeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! Tongue Out

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 9:37 am
From your avatar it looks like you enjoy snow, ShiraMiri! Unless that's not snow in your pic Confused

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 9:39 am
TzenaRena wrote:
Right, Greenfire, I didn't say that you did. Confused Of course, I keep my kids home whenever it would be too rough for them.

Right now I'm sorry I sent my daughter. I'm picturing her waiting outside for a bus that comes so much later than usual in this storm. Sad And she left her gloves at home. Rolling Eyes I hope the bus came...It sounds like sleet pounding my windows.

She just has had more than her share of absences and latenesses (understatement Rolling Eyes ), so I was glad when she was ready on time today and didn't try to take advantage of the situation.

My truant daughter wanted to go to school last monday cause she did her homework - well school was cancelled due to extreme cold. It's funny when kids are suddenly ready like this. I say this only cause I have had too many situations were the girls don't have school and the boys do but getting him back and forth was insane to say the least - so I would keep him home. Of course he still went to shul to daven and learn so... I still believe in fun as part of nurturing - like eating or sleeping - it gives us energy.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics