Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Unschooling

Onisa

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 5:43 am
Good day! Im new on this forum but was enjoying it a lot. I live in Israel and I am thinking to unschool my children. Is here anybody who is doing that or planning to do so or maybe you know somebody.
My hebrew is very bad, unfortunatelly.
Thaank you in advance.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 5:48 am
There is a member here called Seraph who unschools.

I just have a question: How can you unschool (or homeschool) your children, if you can't teach them the language of the country where you live? How will they be able to function in society if their Hebrew is at a low level?

Onisa

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 6:04 am
shalhevet wrote:
There is a member here called Seraph who unschools.

I just have a question: How can you unschool (or homeschool) your children, if you can't teach them the language of the country where you live? How will they be able to function in society if their Hebrew is at a low level?

Your question is reasonable.)) My husband is fluent in Hebrew. I know 5 languages I do not have kids by now. So Im planning to learn the 6th as much as I can. I have unschooling familly as a great example where kids spoke only mothertongue while being unschooled but picked up Hebrew from friends, books and ect so well that two of them have BA in humanity areas in Israel.

It wont be easy as it isnt easy to bring up a child in the emigrants familly. Right now preparing im trying to view all pros and cons.

Happy Mom

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 5:33 am
There are a number of unschoolers in Israel, though I don't know of any on this board other than Seraph. I don't unschool - I consider my style eclectic - but there are many, many benefits to unschooling (when done well - which is my caveat about any aspect of homeschooling, that parents have to be consciously involved).

As far as the Hebrew, there are ways to deal with that but I do think that it's something that parents have to make a conscious effort to address. You already mentioned in your second post ways to deal with it. It's very doable, you just have to do it!

Lots of luck!

Seraph

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 5:56 am
I'm unschooling inspired.
I do teach some things specifically, but mostly just follow my children's interests. Its working so far very well, but if I see its not working and they dont learn certain things I find to be important, I will make sure they end up learning those stuff.

Onisa

Post Sat, Apr 20 2013, 3:23 pm
Happy Mom wrote:

Lots of luck!

Thank you.)) Very Happy

Onisa

Post Sat, Apr 20 2013, 3:25 pm
Seraph wrote:
I do teach some things specifically, but mostly just follow my children's interests. Its working so far very well, but if I see its not working and they dont learn certain things I find to be important, I will make sure they end up learning those stuff.

Do you live in Israel (sorry if it is too personal). If yes, do you go to any gatherings or unschooling club?

Seraph

Post Sat, Apr 20 2013, 3:33 pm
Onisa wrote:
Seraph wrote:

Do you live in Israel (sorry if it is too personal). If yes, do you go to any gatherings or unschooling club?
Yes, I live in Israel, and I've gone to a few homeschooling get togethers here and there.

Onisa

Post Sat, Apr 20 2013, 4:11 pm
Seraph wrote:
Onisa wrote:
Seraph wrote:

Yes, I live in Israel, and I've gone to a few homeschooling get togethers here and there.

Worth visiting? I do not have kids yet but I want to plan and prepare.

Tablepoetry

Post Sat, Apr 20 2013, 4:16 pm
This is just an aside - but I think it's much too early to explore schooling options in depth before you even have kids. Take one step at a time.

Onisa

Post Sat, Apr 20 2013, 4:38 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
This is just an aside - but I think it's much too early to explore schooling options in depth before you even have kids. Take one step at a time.

I feel im exploring everything from diapers to wedding rings)). When I was 10 peopletold mr it was too early to prepare for a trade. But Im making money with that trade today. I think it isnt bad to think over what type of upbringing you want for your child. Ofcourse, maybe my children would be totally unfitting for unschooling of smth else.. Doesnt mean I cant think this option through.

granolamom

Post Sat, Apr 20 2013, 9:45 pm
Onisa wrote:
Tablepoetry wrote:

I feel im exploring everything from diapers to wedding rings)). When I was 10 peopletold mr it was too early to prepare for a trade. But Im making money with that trade today. I think it isnt bad to think over what type of upbringing you want for your child. Ofcourse, maybe my children would be totally unfitting for unschooling of smth else.. Doesnt mean I cant think this option through.

yeah, its good to plan ahead but I've found that with raising children, they tend not to fit our plans. but who knows what will be? that said, I love the planning aspect of homeschooling. I am not unschooling so no advice there, but have fun planning! I think unschooling is a wonderful way to go if you can swing it. I'm not up for it myself, but I do think its doable.

Seraph

Post Sun, Apr 21 2013, 3:37 am
Onisa wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Onisa wrote:
Seraph wrote:

Worth visiting? I do not have kids yet but I want to plan and prepare.
Eh. I dunno. There's an israelhomeschooling yahoo group that would provide better access to questions about unschooling in israel. Most israeli homeschoolers I met are either unschoolers or unschooling inspired, like myself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling