Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
No sugar-something sweet?
1  2  3  Next

thankyou

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 8:38 am
Hi, I'm on a strict no sugar diet. I also cannot use any sweeteners (except for stevia which so far -in coffee at least- I find gross:/ ).
I'm really craving something sweet. I wanted to make carrot muffins but I'm pretty sure they won't come out tasty without sugar.
I'm tired of fruit.
Tried no sugar granola with no sugar milk. Yuck.

Anyone have an idea of something YUMMY I can make?

(Ill make meat for supper but I really wanted something which isn't 'real' food...)

Please ? Recipes?
How does anybody handle no sugar diets for more than a few days? What's th secret?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 8:46 am
can you get silan - date syrup where you live?
there are brands that have sugar added, but the ones that do not are pure dates. it can be used like honey in recipes.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 8:46 am
Are you allowed to have honey?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 8:54 am
amother wrote:
can you get silan - date syrup where you live?
there are brands that have sugar added, but the ones that do not are pure dates. it can be used like honey in recipes.

also wanted to mention that dates themselves are a good sweetener - in smoothies, etc.

also that the first few days of no sugar are the hardest, once you get through a week or two you'll find it much easier

oliveoil

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 9:07 am
THe secret is going beyond the first few days. It differs for different people, but for me once I get past about 2 weeks it gets so much easier.

For sweet, I buy bananas and don't use until they are super brown. Then I blend 1 very brown banana (brown makes it sweeter) with 8-10 frozen strawberries and just enough almond milk to let it blend. Makes a sweet, thick, frozen treat. I eat this probably every day.

chani8

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 9:17 am
We do not use sugar and try to avoid sweeteners as much as possible. We also eat low carb.

I think the fact that you are craving something sweet is a big red flag, imo.

The recipes you are asking for show me that you don't understand that carbs are sugar, too.

So if you are trying to diet and avoid sugar, but are still eating too much carbs, you will crave sweets and you wont stay on the diet very long.

Are you following a diet plan of any kind? Have you tried Atkins or South Beach?

OTOH, if I just mmob, zip, then let me share with you what we do for sweets:

A date with an almond stuck inside
Diet (sugar free) yogurt (which do have sweeteners, but are very satisfying) mixed with plain yogurt to cut the overly sweet.
Diet (sugar free) jello
Or, plain gelatin prepared with apple juice (sugar free) made into jello.
Applesauce, sugar free
85% Lundt Dark Chocolate Bar - one piece!
Bamba - the brand that says no added sugar, or the organic bamba, 1 small bag.

A simple recipe base is to take whole oats and hot water, and make a consistancy of oatmeal.

Then choose your sweetener:
a sauteed banana
pureed or chopped or sliced apples
or stevia

Then you can add fun stuff like:
chopped dried fruit and/or nuts
all natural peanut butter
cocoa
cinnamon

Taste to check for sweetness, esp if using cocoa.
Baking powder opt.

Last, add 1 egg.

Bake as either muffins or cookies.

thankyou

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 9:19 am
I'm not allowed to have honey. I wish! Then I'd be able to have it with oatmeal and such. But no honey;(

So it gets better after a week or two? Hhhh will have to make it through!
Thx for the support.

And a smoothie is a really good idea! Thanks!

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 9:37 am
First of all, as far as Stevia goes, there's lots of brands. I've found the Stevia in the Raw brand to be best. You also need to use less of it than sugar; I'd say try using half and that may be much better.

I've made 2 sugar free snacks that I found here:
one is a mixture of cream cheese and natural peanut butter and Stevia rolled into balls and then rolled in chopped peanuts
the other one is peanut butter cookies -- I think it is just peanut butter, egg and Stevia mixed and baked

If you want these recipes and can't find them here, let me know and I'll locate them and post them.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 9:48 am
No sugar = no refined or added sugars, or are you diabetic and limited in total sugar consumption? For the former, a glass of orange juice would be fine, for the latter, it would be a calculated decision based on blood sugar levels.

Just want to clarify.

If you're the former, then baked apples are yummy. Core an apple, stuff the middle with nuts and raisins, sprinkle with cinnamon and/or nutmeg, pour a bit of grape juice around it so the bottom is submerged and won't burn, then bake for minimum 90 minutes until soft. Fuji or Granny Smith apples stay firmer, while Empire or Braeburn apples get almost applesauce-y inside their peels. Not as good as apple pie, but it takes the edge off.

5*Mom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 10:15 am
Can you have fruit juice and fruit juice concentrate? I bake completely with apple juice concentrate.

thankyou

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 11:36 am
chani8 wrote:
We do not use sugar and try to avoid sweeteners as much as possible. We also eat low carb.

The recipes you are asking for show me that you don't understand that carbs are sugar, too.

So if you are trying to diet and avoid sugar, but are still eating too much carbs, you will crave sweets and you wont stay on the diet very long.

Are you following a diet plan of any kind? Have you tried Atkins or South Beach?

Diet (sugar free) yogurt (which do have sweeteners, but are very satisfying) mixed with plain yogurt to cut the overly sweet.
Diet (sugar free) jello
Applesauce, sugar free

A simple recipe base is to take whole oats and hot water, and make a consistancy of oatmeal.

a sauteed banana
or stevia

cocoa
cinnamon

Baking powder opt.

Last, add 1 egg.

Chani thank you. I love the last recipe and going to try it out hopefully soon!

Yes the fact that I crave sweet IS a symptom of the problem. I'm doing this diet bc of health issues and was not given a specific diet but strict rules.
I guess my biggest problem is that I hate most healthy things as dates and almonds that you mentioned etc. I also don't like baked fruit. I miss chocolate cake not apple cake:)

I will have to check about no sugar bamba - never heard of that! Where do you buy it? It can be a great idea.

thankyou

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 11:39 am
OOTBubby wrote:
First of all, as far as Stevia goes, there's lots of brands. I've found the Stevia in the Raw brand to be best. You also need to use less of it than sugar; I'd say try using half and that may be much better.

one is a mixture of cream cheese and natural peanut butter and Stevia rolled into balls and then rolled in chopped peanuts
the other one is peanut butter cookies -- I think it is just peanut butter, egg and Stevia mixed and baked

If you want these recipes and can't find them here, let me know and I'll locate them and post them.

Oh there are different brands? Mine must be the worst one:) I thought it would taste like sweetener.
Doesn't cream cheese have sugar? And peanut butter ? Peanut butter can really make a difference for me!

thankyou

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 11:41 am
bigsis144 wrote:
No sugar = no refined or added sugars, or are you diabetic and limited in total sugar consumption? For the former, a glass of orange juice would be fine, for the latter, it would be a calculated decision based on blood sugar levels.

Just want to clarify.

If you're the former, then baked apples are yummy. Core an apple, stuff the middle with nuts and raisins, sprinkle with cinnamon and/or nutmeg, pour a bit of grape juice around it so the bottom is submerged and won't burn, then bake for minimum 90 minutes until soft. Fuji or Granny Smith apples stay firmer, while Empire or Braeburn apples get almost applesauce-y inside their peels. Not as good as apple pie, but it takes the edge off.
m
Oh it's the former. I can't have added sugar at all but I am not diabetic and can have fruit for example.
I think I'll try baked apples though I don't usually like them. Doesn't it usually go with sugar though? I'll try your recipe if I can find grape juice with no sugar!

smss

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 11:43 am
chani8 wrote:

Diet (sugar free) jello
Applesauce, sugar free

a sauteed banana
or stevia

cocoa
cinnamon

Baking powder opt.

Last, add 1 egg.

did you really mean a sauteed banana????

thankyou

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 11:43 am
5*Mom wrote:
Can you have fruit juice and fruit juice concentrate? I bake completely with apple juice concentrate.

Instead of sugar? I use it instead of oil at Times. How does it work?
I was so desperate I tried carrot muffins with stevia - came out really bad...

thankyou

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 11:44 am
Thanks everyone for th help so far. I'm sorry for responding to each on her own- I'm typing on the phone and its the only way to make it semi organized.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 11:45 am
thankyou wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

Oh there are different brands? Mine must be the worst one:) I thought it would taste like sweetener.
Doesn't cream cheese have sugar? And peanut butter ? Peanut butter can really make a difference for me!

Yes, there are a number of brands. Look for Stevia in the Raw (green bag or box) with the OU. And as I said, use less than you would sugar.

Full fat cream cheese normally has no sugar. And there is natural peanut butter (I got it at either Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, I'm not sure which) with no sugar.

I will find those 2 recipes and post them here for you.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 11:47 am
This was originally posted by chocolate moose:

NUTTY CHEESECAKE BITES

Makes 30, 3/4 inch balls

1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter, any kind
1/3 cup splenda no calorie sweetener (I use Stevia)
1/4 tsp cinnamon (I don't put this in)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Finely chopped peanuts or shredded coconut (I use peanuts)

With mixer, in medium bowl, combine all ingredients except the last ingredient. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Chill 30 minutes or until firm. Roll into 3/4 inch balls, then roll in peanuts or coconut. Chill 15 minutes before serving.

Nutrition: 70 calories, total fat 6 g, sat fat 3 g. Cholesterol 10
mg, sodium 40 mg, total carbs 2 g, sugars 0 g, dietary fiber 1 g,
protein 2 g.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 11:49 am
Peanut Butter Cookies

1-1/4 c. splenda or other sugar substitute (I used Stevia)
1 cup peanut butter (I used Trader Joe's sugar & gluten free crunchy one)
1 large egg

Mix everything well. Bake on parchment. Preheat oven to 350. Make tablespoon sized cookies and flatten with a fork making criss-cross lines. Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cinnamon after baking if desired (I didn't).

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 11:50 am
Both of the recipes I just posted are great and will satisfy a sweet tooth without sugar, BUT, please beware; they are NOT low calorie.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking