Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
No sugar-something sweet?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

bigsis144

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 12:01 pm
thankyou wrote:
bigsis144 wrote:
No sugar = no refined or added sugars, or are you diabetic and limited in total sugar consumption? For the former, a glass of orange juice would be fine, for the latter, it would be a calculated decision based on blood sugar levels.

Just want to clarify.

If you're the former, then baked apples are yummy. Core an apple, stuff the middle with nuts and raisins, sprinkle with cinnamon and/or nutmeg, pour a bit of grape juice around it so the bottom is submerged and won't burn, then bake for minimum 90 minutes until soft. Fuji or Granny Smith apples stay firmer, while Empire or Braeburn apples get almost applesauce-y inside their peels. Not as good as apple pie, but it takes the edge off.
m
Oh it's the former. I can't have added sugar at all but I am not diabetic and can have fruit for example.
I think I'll try baked apples though I don't usually like them. Doesn't it usually go with sugar though? I'll try your recipe if I can find grape juice with no sugar!

Standard Kedem grapejuice is 100% juice... I've never heard of adding sugar to grape juice...

5*Mom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 12:07 pm
thankyou wrote:
5*Mom wrote:
Can you have fruit juice and fruit juice concentrate? I bake completely with apple juice concentrate.

Instead of sugar? I use it instead of oil at Times. How does it work?
I was so desperate I tried carrot muffins with stevia - came out really bad...

I use Israeli B&D apple juice concentrate and replace the sugar in the recipe with half the amount of concentrate PLUS (and don't forget this) baking soda in the ratio of 1 tsp b.s to 1 cup of a.j. concentrate to take the acidic edge off. There's a learning curve in the beginning, and you might have to experiment a bit with amounts since different brands are concentrated differently. But it's worth the first few flopped cakes. Here's a yummy recipe for brownies (one bowl, by hand Smile ):

Mix together well:
1 1/4 c oil
1 1/4 c apple juice concentrate
4 eggs

Add and mix well:
1 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
almost 1 1/2 tsp baking soda

Add:
1/2 c cocoa

Bake in greased 9x13 pan at 350 for about 30-35 minutes, or more depending on your oven and the level of fudgy-ness vs. done-ness that you like.

I bake this all the time, keep it in the fridge and pick from it all week. Repeat.

thankyou

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 12:09 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Both of the recipes I just posted are great and will satisfy a sweet tooth without sugar, BUT, please beware; they are NOT low calorie.

Thanks a million!
I'm going to find out if I'm allowed peanut butter and cream cheese. The recipes sound great!

5*Mom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 12:13 pm
Also yummy and oh-so-easy:

Strawberry sorbet:
1 bag frozen strawberries, partially thawed
Splash or 3 of... apple juice concentrate to taste

Blend with a hand blender and freeze for a couple of hours. Then blend again. Keep that in the freezer and pick from it all week Wink.

thankyou

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 12:13 pm
5*Mom wrote:
thankyou wrote:
5*Mom wrote:
Can you have fruit juice and fruit juice concentrate? I bake completely with apple juice concentrate.

I use Israeli B&D apple juice concentrate and replace the sugar in the recipe with half the amount of concentrate PLUS (and don't forget this) baking soda in the ratio of 1 tsp b.s to 1 cup of a.j. concentrate to take the acidic edge off. There's a learning curve in the beginning, and you might have to experiment a bit with amounts since different brands are concentrated differently. But it's worth the first few flopped cakes. Here's a yummy recipe for brownies (one bowl, by hand Smile ):

Mix together well:
1 1/4 c oil
4 eggs

Add and mix well:
1 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Add:
1/2 c cocoa

Bake in greased 9x13 pan at 350 for about 30-35 minutes, or more depending on your oven and the level of fudgy-ness vs. done-ness that you like.

I bake this all the time, keep it in the fridge and pick from it all week. Repeat.

Let me see if I got it right:
If the recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar you put half cup of concentrate(+baking soda)?
In your recipe you mean 1 1/4 cup of literally apple concentrate? Not mixed with ware?

Thanks so much!

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 12:23 pm
You could blend fruits of your choice (apples, peaches, pears, etc) in a food processor, spread it on a lightly oiled baking paper lined tray, put it in the oven on as low heat as possible and let dry until it is the texture of fruit leather.

smss

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 12:44 pm
Liba wrote:
You could blend fruits of your choice (apples, peaches, pears, etc) in a food processor, spread it on a lightly oiled baking paper lined tray, put it in the oven on as low heat as possible and let dry until it is the texture of fruit leather.

this sounds yummy! I want to try it.
about how long does it take in the oven?

5*Mom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 5:25 pm
thankyou wrote:
5*Mom wrote:
thankyou wrote:
5*Mom wrote:

Mix together well:
1 1/4 c oil
4 eggs

Add and mix well:
1 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Add:
1/2 c cocoa

Let me see if I got it right:
If the recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar you put half cup of concentrate(+baking soda)?
In your recipe you mean 1 1/4 cup of literally apple concentrate? Not mixed with ware?

Thanks so much!

Yup, you got it right. Remember, though, that it may take a bit of experimenting to get the amounts just right. My concentrate might be more or less concentrated than yours. Good luck!

OutATowner

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 7:51 pm
Yum! I love this thread! There are some great ideas here.
OOTbubby (or cm), do you think I can use fat free cream cheese for the Nutty Cheesecake Bites?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 8:05 pm
OutATowner wrote:
Yum! I love this thread! There are some great ideas here.
OOTbubby (or cm), do you think I can use fat free cream cheese for the Nutty Cheesecake Bites?

I don't see why not. However, are you sure it's sugar free -- most fat free dairy products I've seen have sugar in them.

OutATowner

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 8:10 pm
The only fat free dairy product I get is plain Chobani yogurt, and it's sugar free. I'll check the ingredients for added sugar though before I buy- thanks. I've been looking for a sugar/gluten free snack for a while and I know pb has fat, but if I could cut out the fat from the cream cheese that would be perfect.

Post Wed, Apr 17 2013, 8:18 pm
Fried plantains are delicious and sweet without sugar.

Chocolate moose posted a recipe for beets with pistachio nuts.

thankyou

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 11:37 am
5*mom-the cake/brownies just came out of the oven. It's delicious!!! Thanks so much!
I'm planning on trying the rest of the recipes over the next week.
Thanks everyone!

earthmama

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 1:25 pm
Have a look at the amazing website chocolatecoveredkatie.com.

freidasima

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 1:35 pm
You aren't going to want to hear this but if you are doing this for health reasons and have to cut sugars, you really shouldn't be eating any of the things suggested here either for the first month or two or more.

The only fruits you should be eating are either tart apples or some berries. No bananas, dates or dried fruit all of which have a very heavy fructose load. It may not sound the same but glucose, fructose, sucrose - basically they all do the same in terms of candida, in terms of making you want sweets. Sure, white sugar is the worst but the others aren't good for you to detox either.

for that you have to go cold turkey. Nothing sweet, period. Yes you will crave sweets. Too bad. suck it up and just go on.

No fruit and no fruit juices. No stevia and nothing sweet AT ALL. Only when your body has totally detoxed from the taste of something sweet can you really begin to deal with the health issues that all that sucrose, glucose, dextrose, fructose has caused in your system. I say this from experience, I have done it and I have lived to tell the tale!

When you feel that you are going out of your mind for something sweet, there are natural cures which can derail those cravings. Cinnamon for example. Something very cold also sometimes does the trick (think: sucking on an ice cube). After two weeks of nothing sweet you will find the sweetness in natural food, such as eating a carrot, or a sweet potato. And when you finally do eat a piece of fruit, it will be incredibly sweet to you and if you keep it up, you will actually be able to TASTE food again. You will taste what broccoli tastes like, what a bell pepper (sweet!!) tastes like, what a tomato or an eggplant taste like. What an egg tastes like.

BTW, this goes well with cutting out ALL dairy at the same time and there are those who cut gluten as well and it works for them. But if not, at least cut out all sweet things for a while.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 1:59 pm
I want to reiterate what FS wrote. While I am FAT, I have learned a few things along the road and have even implemented them at times. To paraphrase Mark Twain: I can lose weight whenever I want, I've done it many times.

In any event, OP, reading your post reminds me of WW meetings. I know you stated you need to be off sugar for health reasons, and you did not mention a need to lose weight, but allow me to share: WW is supposed to be about healthy eating, and for the longest time it was. Probably still is. Yet most of the questions asked by members and most of the diet products I was able to choose from (them being kosher and all) dealt with: getting the sweet in! People had SO MUCH trouble drinking plain water or eating an undressed salad. They moaned. They groaned. But they REALLY put up a fight to find out how they could get sweet in, whether to add to their horrible water or to their tasteless veggies. Or have dessert. I was stunned. My problem is loving ALL food, not getting in dessert. I would have killed to be allowed some more bread/meat/whatever yet all around me people were craving sweet.

And you know what? I crave it too. Not enough to use it as a drink or salad dressing, but my body is sending me messages: get ice cream/cake/sweet things. Because I decided I don't want to give in, it's yelling louder. It brought me near a bakery this am, where BH there was no parking. It brought me to ANOTHER bakery this later on where BH everything was overpriced. It made me send my husband to the store to look for ice cream on sale - thankfully there was none. Because though *I* decided I don't want sweet, my little yetzer (I won't call it hara, it's physiological) is saying: GET SWEETS. Something in my body is craving it even though I don't need/want it.

What happens when you start using sweeteners is that the body says "great, she fooled me, now let's have more". And it's a vicious cycle that will be hard to break. It's a GREAT idea to just go cold turkey. Don't allow yourself sweet things for 3 weeks. The craving will hopefully go away.

To ease you through it, here is a trick I once learned and just remembered: eat some almond butter. Pure almonds pulverized to a nice paste. It's quite expensive and fattening so you don't eat a lot. It's extremely satisfying on all counts: sensory (there is what to hold in your mouth), filling, mild sweetness, healthy and easy to eat on the go. You can also take almonds. They are satisfying if you can convince yourself you don't need SWEET.

I know people can break the sweet habit, and it's not with substituting, at least not in the beginning where there is no control. I wish you luck!

thankyou

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 2:00 pm
freidasima wrote:
You aren't going to want to hear this but if you are doing this for health reasons and have to cut sugars, you really shouldn't be eating any of the things suggested here either for the first month or two or more.

The only fruits you should be eating are either tart apples or some berries. No bananas, dates or dried fruit all of which have a very heavy fructose load. It may not sound the same but glucose, fructose, sucrose - basically they all do the same in terms of candida, in terms of making you want sweets. Sure, white sugar is the worst but the others aren't good for you to detox either.

for that you have to go cold turkey. Nothing sweet, period. Yes you will crave sweets. Too bad. suck it up and just go on.

No fruit and no fruit juices. No stevia and nothing sweet AT ALL. Only when your body has totally detoxed from the taste of something sweet can you really begin to deal with the health issues that all that sucrose, glucose, dextrose, fructose has caused in your system. I say this from experience, I have done it and I have lived to tell the tale!

When you feel that you are going out of your mind for something sweet, there are natural cures which can derail those cravings. Cinnamon for example. Something very cold also sometimes does the trick (think: sucking on an ice cube). After two weeks of nothing sweet you will find the sweetness in natural food, such as eating a carrot, or a sweet potato. And when you finally do eat a piece of fruit, it will be incredibly sweet to you and if you keep it up, you will actually be able to TASTE food again. You will taste what broccoli tastes like, what a bell pepper (sweet!!) tastes like, what a tomato or an eggplant taste like. What an egg tastes like.

BTW, this goes well with cutting out ALL dairy at the same time and there are those who cut gluten as well and it works for them. But if not, at least cut out all sweet things for a while.

Ok wow this sounds interesting. And a bit scary. I did cut off all dairy and I never eat white flour.
But how on earth do you survive on literally eggs, veggies and meat?
Like if I kept this what would my diet look like? Literally eggs for breakfast, soup for lunch and meat for supper?
I would love to do this but I don't see how it's possible.
I could eat whole wheat bread all day but I imagine that wouldn't be that smart either?!
Btw I DO taste the sweetness in pepper and such- but it doesn't satisfy me.

thankyou

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 2:11 pm
Amother- thanks for your words, they actually make sense to me.
I survived a while without sugar at all and since this diet is not for losing weight but for health reasons- I WILL keep it. But yesterday I felt like I NEEDED something tasty. As you described- I LOVE sweet. I could live (though never did) on waffles and chocolate only:) so as much as I ate peppers and carrots and peanuts and meat- I did not feel satisfied all day and I hated having food on my mind all day! That's why I wanted something sweet to have around the house to just have it .
I'm really wondering if I do need to cut it all off completely for another week.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 3:15 pm
thankyou wrote:
5*mom-the cake/brownies just came out of the oven. It's delicious!!! Thanks so much!
Thanks everyone!

Yay! Enjoy!

I just read FS's post and she reminded me why I don't eat sugar in the first place. She is right. I was off A.L.L. sweet things for a few months before I gradually reintroduced some of them into my diet. Not even all. I still can't have honey, date syrup or dates, prunes, bananas, and I'm sure there are others. She is also right about tasting the natural yumminess in foods again and a little sweetness going a long way. Something to think about. But I do hope you enjoy your brownies first Wink!

thankyou

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 3:36 pm
5*Mom wrote:
thankyou wrote:
Thanks everyone!

Yay! Enjoy!

I just read FS's post and she reminded me why I don't eat sugar in the first place. She is right. I was off A.L.L. sweet things for a few months before I gradually reintroduced some of them into my diet. Not even all. I still can't have honey, date syrup or dates, prunes, bananas, and I'm sure there are others. She is also right about tasting the natural yumminess in foods again and a little sweetness going a long way. Something to think about. But I do hope you enjoy your brownies first Wink!

The brownies are so good! You have no idea what motivation you gave me with this recipe. Only problem is that DH ate 1/4 of it already! Unbelievable (and he can eat anything...).
im seriously concidering going off everything, just have No idea how.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking