Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I am a SETTLER - ask me anything
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

robynm

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 9:48 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
abound wrote:
Every time I hear efrat or maaleh adumim described as a yishuv, I find it strange. They are practically cities, nothing like a "settlement"
Maale adumim I a city where as efrat is just a very very large yishuv. There is nothing city about it except that it is very large.

Its funny to see Maaleh Adumim now as this big city. When we first moved there, sheep were wandering around, Bedouins were my neighbors....

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 9:50 am
robynm wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
abound wrote:
Every time I hear efrat or maaleh adumim described as a yishuv, I find it strange. They are practically cities, nothing like a "settlement"
Maale adumim I a city where as efrat is just a very very large yishuv. There is nothing city about it except that it is very large.

Its funny to see Maaleh Adumim now as this big city. When we first moved there, sheep were wandering around, Bedouins were my neighbors....
Most places start like that, and grow Smile Thats what we want to see!!!

Peanut2

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 10:21 am
How do I become a settler too?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 10:26 am
Peanut2 wrote:
Come join us on the wild side of life Smile

etky

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 10:27 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
abound wrote:

There are currently about 1800 families living in Efrat, in about 6 different neighborhoods . The older neighborhoods, where my family lives, have more of a traditional yishuv feel to them than Zayit (the new neighborhood) which has taller buildings and thus has a more urban character. That said, from what I understand from friends who live in Zayit, the social fabric of the neighborhood is still yishuv-like in its cohesion and supportiveness, far from what you would find in the city, even in close knit neighborhoods. I imagine that certain neighborhoods of Ma'ale Adumim are like this too.
Efrat styles itself a city but it's a far cry from a real city and personally, I hope it stays this way.
We wouldn't mind a few more facilities (a pool and a bank would be very nice) but we like the small (but not tiny) town feel.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 10:31 am
etky wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
abound wrote:

There are currently about 1800 families living in Efrat, in about 6 different neighborhoods . The older neighborhoods, where my family lives, have more of a traditional yishuv feel to them than Zayit (the new neighborhood) which has taller buildings and thus has a more urban character. That said, from what I understand from friends who live in Zayit, the social fabric of the neighborhood is still yishuv-like in its cohesion and supportiveness, far from what you would find in the city, even in close knit neighborhoods. I imagine that certain neighborhoods of Ma'ale Adumim are like this too.
Efrat styles itself a city but it's a far cry from a real city and personally, I hope it stays this way.
We wouldn't mind a few more facilities (a pool and a bank would be very nice) but we like the small (but not tiny) town feel.
But there are two pools pretty close (just for those who thought there was no pool in the Gush. And there is a bank but in a different yishuv. That I do think is lacking in the Gush, more bank branches, but other than that, nothing. Gosh, we even have an awesome naot outlet store Smile )

chanchy123

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 10:54 am
Ok, so I was born in Israel to parents who had made Aliyah after marriage. I feel Israeli and American enough to be on this board (for what it's worth) I am completley bilingual even though my English spelling is horrific - my kids are not (but my siblings' kids are).
In my yishuv we have many second generation olim. Again, I'm talking about the hard core, 40 family no shops, no doctor's office yishuv. We have olim (first generation who came as adults or children) from all over the globe, UK, US Australia, South America, Russia, Holland and Canada.
Yes, our yishuv is a break of materialism, unlike the yishuvim in central Gush Etzyon, which do seem to have a materialistic side.
We live life simply but not like hermits, I do hope to have a large home here one day soon, I like to go out to eat, go on vacations, etc, but there is no pressure whatsever to keep up with anyone, everyone pretty much does their own thing. You can see one woman in shul with high heals, a nice dress (Israeli designers), and trendy hat, and a woman who buys her clothes in thrift shops, wearing flowy shawls, old sandals, and bedouin pants - no one cares.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 10:54 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Peanut2 wrote:

Come for shabbat.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 11:00 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Ok, so I was born in Israel to parents who had made Aliyah after marriage. I feel Israeli and American enough to be on this board (for what it's worth) I am completley bilingual even though my English spelling is horrific - my kids are not (but my siblings' kids are).
In my yishuv we have many second generation olim. Again, I'm talking about the hard core, 40 family no shops, no doctor's office yishuv. We have olim (first generation who came as adults or children) from all over the globe, UK, US Australia, South America, Russia, Holland and Canada.
Yes, our yishuv is a break of materialism, unlike the yishuvim in central Gush Etzyon, which do seem to have a materialistic side.
We live life simply but not like hermits, I do hope to have a large home here one day soon, I like to go out to eat, go on vacations, etc, but there is no pressure whatsever to keep up with anyone, everyone pretty much does their own thing. You can see one woman in shul with high heals, a nice dress (Israeli designers), and trendy hat, and a woman who buys her clothes in thrift shops, wearing flowy shawls, old sandals, and bedouin pants - no one cares.
Same thing in our yishuv. And even though my yishuv does have some grandiose homes that people built, I love going to shul and seeing some women in sheitals and almost suits and other ladies who are wearing crocs and a nice baseball cap Smile That is what I love about yishuv life. There is no living up to the johns's Smile

chanchy123

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 11:04 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:
Same thing in our yishuv. And even though my yishuv does have some grandiose homes that people built, I love going to shul and seeing some women in sheitals and almost suits and other ladies who are wearing crocs and a nice baseball cap Smile That is what I love about yishuv life. There is no living up to the johns's Smile

Your yishuv is the epitome of living it up according to people in our yishuv.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 11:07 am
chanchy123 wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:

Smile what do you mean? (I ask in complete honesty. can you explain what you mean by that? because you have people of all kinds here: rich, not so rich and outright poor. )

Karnash

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 11:14 am
I live in Karnei Shomron, smaller than Efrat, but definitely one of the larger yishuvim. I think between the 3 hills (karnayim) that comprise the yishuv, there are about 1100-1200 families.
But we have all the amenities - a bank, a few small groceries and a small supermarket, clinics of three of the kupot cholim, 2 bakeries, jewelry store, various clothing shops, pizza shop, swimming pool, health club, maon, gan, 2 elementary schools, 2 boys high schools (girls go to kedumim - 10 minutes away), yeshivat hesder and a midrasha for girls.
I've seen this develop over the last (almost) 30 years. When we came, as chanchy said, we trudged thru the sand and mud, had no phones and pirated electricity from the families who had lines.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 11:20 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
etky wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
abound wrote:

But there are two pools pretty close (just for those who thought there was no pool in the Gush. And there is a bank but in a different yishuv. That I do think is lacking in the Gush, more bank branches, but other than that, nothing. Gosh, we even have an awesome naot outlet store Smile )

In our Yishuv (where we used to live) there was a bank, but sometimes they just ran out of money....

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 11:23 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:

Smile what do you mean? (I ask in complete honesty. can you explain what you mean by that? because you have people of all kinds here: rich, not so rich and outright poor. )

If you live where I think you live (based on the yummy bakery reference) then, you live a suburban life. There's yummy pizza, what else do you need? I would think of your yishuv as roughing it.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 11:26 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:

People consider it the epitome of burgani Gush Etzyon. Not that everyone is rich, but that the life style is materialistic. Again, it's a stereotype and I don't really know anyone living there in person so I have no opinion on the subject, whenever I get there all I do is shop at the bakery and occasionally at the hardware store. It's just interesting how people have different presepctives.

etky

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 11:26 am
[quote="shabbatiscoming"]
chanchy123 wrote:
We live life simply but not like hermits, I do hope to have a large home here one day soon, I like to go out to eat, go on vacations, etc, but there is no pressure whatsever to keep up with anyone, everyone pretty much does their own thing. [b]You can see one woman in shul with high heals, a nice dress (Israeli designers), and trendy hat, and a woman who buys her clothes in thrift shops, wearing flowy shawls, old sandals, and bedouin pants - no one cares.
Same thing in our yishuv. And even though my yishuv does have some grandiose homes that people built, I love going to shul and seeing some women in sheitals and almost suits and other ladies who are wearing crocs and a nice baseball cap Smile That is what I love about yishuv life. There is no living up to the johns's Smile[[/b]/quote]

That is exactly what I love about my (predominantly Israeli) shul too. That type of pressure/interest is just non-existent (otherwise I wouldn't last a minute). That said, there are shuls in other neighborhoods in Efrat where the ladies like to dress up more, but not quite to the same level that you find in some communities in chutz la'aretz or even in merkaz ha'aretz. There are enough shuls here so that everyone can find their niche and feel comfortable. Overall, people here tend to be very non-judgmental of their neighbors in most regards. I would say that that is part of the 'civic culture' of the yishuv.

etky

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 11:30 am
[quote="chanchy123"]
shabbatiscoming wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:
O That is what I love about yishuv life. There is no living up to the johns's Smile

People consider it the epitome of burgani Gush Etzyon. Not that everyone is rich, but that the life style is materialistic. Again, it's a stereotype and I don't really know anyone living there in person so I have no opinion on the subject, whenever I get there all I do is shop at the bakery and occasionally at the hardware store. It's just interesting how people have different presepctives.

Hey, I thought that was Efrat!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 12:39 am
Mimisinger wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:

If you live where I think you live (based on the yummy bakery reference) then, you live a suburban life. There's yummy pizza, what else do you need? I would think of your yishuv as roughing it.
most probably you are thinking of the correct yishuv Smile and yes, it is a suburban life. That is why I love it.
There is no pizza store anymore though.
You wrote that you think of my yishuv as roughing it. Did you mean that you dont think of it that way? I never feel like I am roughing anything.

And another wonderful bonus, we have an awesome view that I would never be able to give up Smile

Peanut2

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 2:02 am
chanchy123 wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Peanut2 wrote:

Come for shabbat.

Thanks! Would love to! (and I'm serious.)

Total hijacker here: we are looking for places to live and Jerusalem expensive. DH would need to commute to Jerusalem a few days a week next year. Maybe I'll start my own thread, but if anyone wants to invite us for a shabbos or has any suggestions please let us know. I am truly not sure where we stand on the borgani versus roughing it spectrum, but we would like a nice community that would help us feel connected. That's another thing that is tougher in Jerusalem. We are happy with a Hebrew speaking environment, though so far the only place we are about to visit is Efrat...

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 2:49 am
chanchy123 wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:

Chanchy, so interesting, really Smile I dont think my yishuv started out that way. Its about 30 something years old. I do believe there are some very big houses in the yishuv, in both the new section and the old section, but then there are also homes that are pretty small.
I dont really see the lifestyle here, overall, as materialistic (what do you believe the meaning of that word is? It can mean different things to different people Smile I think I will start another thread) but I know people who are very materialistic all over the world and others that are not. Thats why I love my yishuv, we have all kinds of people, materialistic people and then people who love living simply and they all get along, really Smile
But you are correct that it is interesting how different people have different perspectives Smile (about big homes, have you seen some of them in zayit in efrat? Wow, thats all Ill say Smile
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics