Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I have ADHD. Ask me anything.
1  2  3  4  Next

gp2.0

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 12:11 am
Though I'll probably forget all about this thread within the next five minutes. I want a cookie. I'll have tea instead. I should refill the hot water. Do I need to change the water in the fish tank? Did I put away the fish for shabbos? Did I leave the oven light on? I should pay the electric bill.

enneamom

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 12:14 am
What are you...
(what was I gonna ask again?) Dont know

sneakermom

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 9:23 am
Oy can totally relate!

zigi

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 9:39 am
oh yeah the bill. where did I put it?

amother

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 11:39 am
It's funny supposedly but for ppl like me it's serious... I do have ADHD and was taking ADHD meds for 2 years, was functioning amazingly on it. Now I had to go off it and am not coping. I 'm curious how others with ADHD who are not medicated are coping.

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 1:07 pm
Coping? Define coping. Heh.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 1:09 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Though I'll probably forget all about this thread within the next five minutes. I want a cookie. I'll have tea instead. I should refill the hot water. Do I need to change the water in the fish tank? Did I put away the fish for shabbos? Did I leave the oven light on? I should pay the electric bill.

Oy I can relate, and I mean it seriously!! OK perhaps not to that extent, but close...

Does that mean I have ADHD??

gp2.0

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 1:10 pm
amother wrote:
It's funny supposedly but for ppl like me it's serious... I do have ADHD and was taking ADHD meds for 2 years, was functioning amazingly on it. Now I had to go off it and am not coping. I 'm curious how others with ADHD who are not medicated are coping.

That would depend on how you define cope...what your expectations are...personally I've learned to either accept my limitations, work around them or trick them. Letting go of guilt is also a big factor for me. I'm still not accomplishing what I want but at least I'm not beating myself up about it. Mostly.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 1:14 pm
amother wrote:
gp2.0 wrote:

Oy I can relate, and I mean it seriously!! OK perhaps not to that extent, but close...

Does that mean I have ADHD??

Sorry, I can't diagnose you on the internet. Or in real life either. Very Happy But I can say that the above is just one part of ADHD. For a full description, Google is your friend.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 2:08 pm
Not coping = my brain literally feels fuzzy and I feel like Im swimming in molasses. I can't keep it together, at all. I' also having mood swings of anxiety and the blues. I am trying to substitute the meds with vitamins but of course I have adhd and keep forgetting to take them.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:

How did you feel on the meds? What differences did you noticed? How did it help your functioning? I'm debating trying meds bc I really feel like my add negatively affects my marriage in so many ways, even though my husband tries to be understanding.

How do I (try to) cope?

Many reminders on my phone.
Lists.
Daily schedules and ROUTINES. Timers for tasks.
Dividing chores into everyday routine tasks and daily chores, like laundry monday. cleaning bathrooms tuesday. filing and bills wednesday, etc. That way when I'm doing laundry and I think -hey, I need to ay the bills, I can remind myself that I do it on another day. Helps me focus on the task at hand a little more.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

How did you feel on the meds? What differences did you noticed? How did it help your functioning? I'm debating trying meds bc I really feel like my add negatively affects my marriage in so many ways, even though my husband tries to be understanding.

How do I (try to) cope?

Many reminders on my phone.
Lists.
Daily schedules and ROUTINES. Timers for tasks.
Dividing chores into everyday routine tasks and daily chores, like laundry monday. cleaning bathrooms tuesday. filing and bills wednesday, etc. That way when I'm doing laundry and I think -hey, I need to ay the bills, I can remind myself that I do it on another day. Helps me focus on the task at hand a little more.

On the meds my brain felt clear, I was able to focus, think, didnt go into meltdowns of anxiety over every little thing.
Truthfully the reason I had to go off (I'm expecting bh) is what's making it harder, I have pregnancy brain and just no energy so I can't think straight. Since I'm planning to nurse I wont be able to start it up again afterwards either Sad. The vitamins are helpin *somewhat*.

chani8

Post Sat, Apr 20 2013, 4:35 pm
I was never diagnosed with ADHD, but I have suffered from concentration problems and one of the things I found helped me (I discovered this while looking to help my kids), was brain games.

If I play 10 minutes of Farm Frenzy or other such game that requires 'planning' then my brain opens, the fuzzies leave me. I can do this maybe twice a day, and it really helps, tremendously. My teens say that a few minutes of a brain game really helps them, too.

chani8

Post Sat, Apr 20 2013, 4:36 pm
If you don't play computer games, then Saduko or something like it, is also excellent.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 12:23 pm
Look! I remembered this thread and overcame my inertia to search for it and post on it. I was going to write a lengthier reply but it bored me. Any more questions?

r_ch

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 12:53 pm
Do you have regular household help?
Do you have a daily routine?
Do you work?

Your post sounds funny but only at a first glace because all those things need to be done this way or another! How do you do this? I'm serious.

good times

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 1:34 pm
What helped you when you were school age and in a classroom?

gp2.0

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 2:10 pm
r_ch wrote:
Do you work?

Your post sounds funny but only at a first glace because all those things need to be done this way or another! How do you do this? I'm serious.

Yes, I try to have regular household help. I go without sometimes either on purpose or because I can't find anyone, and at first it's fine but then the mess gradually piles up to the point that I get depressed. Also, I find it easier to clean alongside the cleaning lady. Having help takes away the overwhelmed feeling.

I don't really have a regular routine. Routines are boring. I guess I have regular habits that formed due to other's influence (for example I wake up early every morning, but only because my toddler wakes me.)

(When I say boring BTW, I mean it's almost physically painful to do something that I find boring. There's a sort of pressure in my head that gets stronger and stronger if I persist. I don't know if being bored is like that for everyone?)

Every job I've ever tried bores me within 6 months and I quit within the year. Currently I'm extremely lucky to have found a job where the hours are very flexible. But I've only been working for *drumroll* five months.

r_ch

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 2:14 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
r_ch wrote:
Do you work?

Yes, I try to have regular household help. I go without sometimes either on purpose or because I can't find anyone, and at first it's fine but then the mess gradually piles up to the point that I get depressed. Also, I find it easier to clean alongside the cleaning lady. Having help takes away the overwhelmed feeling.

I don't really have a regular routine. Routines are boring. I guess I have regular habits that formed due to other's influence (for example I wake up early every morning, but only because my toddler wakes me.)

(When I say boring BTW, I mean it's almost physically painful to do something that I find boring. There's a sort of pressure in my head that gets stronger and stronger if I persist. I don't know if being bored is like that for everyone?)

Every job I've ever tried bores me within 6 months and I quit within the year. Currently I'm extremely lucky to have found a job where the hours are very flexible. But I've only been working for *drumroll* five months.

Thank you! And good luck with your job!

gp2.0

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 5:06 pm
good times wrote:
What helped you when you were school age and in a classroom?

Not much. I excelled without effort in subjects I was good at and failed despite much effort in subjects I didn't.

What would probably have helped me:
Lots of movement - switching rooms for every subject.
Lots of visuals and hands on activities.
A different method of testing other than remember and regurgitate.
More understanding from teachers that yes, it is possible to try very hard and only get a 78 and no, I could not have tried any harder. (Studied 8 hours for that 78.) Guess I can't really blame them for being confused because in a different subject I just glanced at the material, sped through the test, finished a half hour before anyone else and got a straight 100...
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics