Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Piercing ears - what's the right age?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

supermom

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 5:38 am
Confused just heard recently that piercing a persons ears make them unbalanced.

Tefila

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 11:10 am
Huh so what does that say 4 me when I was Bas Mitzvah and had them pierced. I'm 4 sure unbalanced LOL

hisorerus

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 1:32 pm
An acupuncturist once said that a lot of people cause damage by getting their ears pierced, supposedly it affects the eyes. It's best to get them pierced by someone who knows the best place to pierce!

supermom

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 1:39 pm
the eyes now why the eyes?

that might say why I am really clumsy always tripping over my own two feet. or even better tripping over a crack in the road that is barely seen with ones own eyes. embarrassed maybe for my own sake my mother shouldn't have gotten my ears pierced just so I could have some sort of balance in my body

hisorerus

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 1:46 pm
The quoted study seems to mainly affect those with history of keloids.

Another issue for ear piercing is to use earrings that will minimize infection! Many people can't tolerate standard 14K gold or sterling silver, even "hypoallergenic." I recommend Simply Whispers, who makes (cheap) earrings with no nickel, guaranteed not to cause an allergic reaction. www.simplywhispers.com

supermom

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 1:56 pm
what is keloids?

micki

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 3:21 pm
my daughter can only wear titanium earings.

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 4:14 pm
Thanks for that link hisorerus! I've had my ears pierced about five times (first when I was 5 y.o.). Each time they eventually got infected and I had to let them close up. The last time I got them pierced was a month before my wedding. My ear blew up and turned purple within a few hours after the piercing! But I ordered simplywhispers catalog, and I'll think about getting my ears pierced again! (it's so hard to find nice looking and comfortable clip-ons or magnetic earrings)

Rivka

Post Thu, May 12 2005, 8:51 pm
I got my ears peirced, I don't think it affected my eyes...I don't need glasses b"h (much cheaper that way).
I got mine done when I was 7, but you know what I never wear earings now, maybe once a year...yes my holes are still there.

IBR

Post Sun, Jun 05 2005, 8:25 pm
we did it for our daughter when she was 6 month and I m lubavitch. my daughter was born with a kleft lip a very mild case b'h but she had surgery when she was 4months and we diecided that as a present for her we will give her earings and she loves it she is now almost 2 and every time she sees herself in the mirror she say beautiful pointing to the earings.

queen

Post Sun, Jun 05 2005, 8:53 pm
didn't read over the posts, but for some reason just feel like adding my two cents!!!!!! Surprised

girls in my family had to wait until 16. My grandmother actually took me as a treat to be pierced, which was such a fun trip..... I will add that having gotten them when I was 'older' (vs. youngster) I appreciate and enjoy earrings without being borred stiff by them at this age.

lucy

Post Wed, Jul 20 2005, 9:20 pm
July 01, 2005

Keloids and Ear Piercing

The news: Keloids are large, flesh-colored, benign tumors that form after skin is injured or pierced. New research suggests a link between keloid formation and the age at which a child's ears are pierced.
At the Medical College of Georgia, 32 patients who developed keloids after ear piercing were studied. Keloids were three times as common in those who had their ears pierced after age 11 than were those whose piercing was before age 10. (Pediatrics, vol. 115, no. 5 [May 2005]: pp. 1312-1314)

Comment, by Loraine Stern, M.D.: We've known for a long time that keloids form more commonly after puberty than before, and that they run in the family. Keloids are more common among African Americans, although they can occur in anyone. Treatment such as cortisone injections or surgical removal is not always successful, and sometimes the mass regrows even larger after treatment.
The study's authors suggest that if there is a family history of keloids, it's best not to have your child's ears pierced at all or to have it done early in life. If parents want their child's ears pierced in my office, I usually wait until the child is at least 6 months old. In those first months, children get a lot of injections, and I just don't want to prick their skin unnecessarily.

After showing my husband (who cannot wait to pierce my daughter's ears) this article, he says " Well thats why you gotta Chap Arien!". hahahaha

deedee

Post Wed, Jul 20 2005, 10:09 pm
Quote:
If parents want their child's ears pierced in my office, I usually wait until the child is at least 6 months old. In those first months, children get a lot of injections, and I just don't want to prick their skin unnecessarily.

I dont want to prick my baby's skin either!
my sis and I got piercings around age 20 and we had no probs B"H.

chavamom

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 12:04 am
Very interesting article!

hisorerus

Post Thu, Jul 21 2005, 1:14 am
Read more about keloids- they occur more often in African-Americans.

queenie

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 5:31 pm
So Lucy, did you or are you going to pierce your kids ears?

Tovah

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 1:39 pm
this is great I should show this to my husband, he wasn't happy when we pearced rivky's ears.

queenie

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 12:08 am
and how old was rivky when you pierced her ears? I bet she looks adorable with pierced ears. All little girls do. I always feel bad for the kids who don't have pierced ears and their friends do.

JEWISHMAMA

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 5:09 am
I pierced my kids ears in the hospital when they were born. It´s common practice here. They don´t feel it cause the skin is so soft and what better place than the hospital where everthing is sanitized.

Tovah

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 2:58 pm
she was 2 months. yes I asked my doc. before doing it.
Page 6 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics